Sizing 25.06 brass

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
I'm having trouble finding 25.06 brass but I have a ton of 30.06 brass on hand and would like to use it. Would it be better to size it down to .270 and trim and then step down to 25.06 or can I size it straight to 25.06? Thanks! Mike

I just started making 25-06 brass from 30-06, I just run them thru my 25-06 FL sizing die and trim. With REM cases my loaded necks dia are .002 bigger, not a problem with my barrel. If you have a factory barrel your shouldn't have a problem BUT to be safe, take a fired unsized case out of your gun and measure the neck dia, then measure the neck dia of a resized 30-06 case with a bullet seated in it----- make sure the measurement on the loaded round is smaller than the fired case.

I took some Lapua 30-06 straight down to 25-06 and I "think" I trimmed to +.01 of the trim to length. I then used the COW method to blow out that weird bump you get in the shoulder and then trimmed to the trim to length and turned the neck. I think I posted about it somewhere on here or somewhere... I'll try to find it and will adjust this post if I got any of the process wrong.

How many times was your 30-06 brass fired? If its been fired a few, 270 may be the way to go to avoid over working the brass and splitting the neck.

If its once fired or new, I think you'd be ok with running through the 25-06 die. Go with whichever method that will bring you peace of mind.

Wyo7200, what's the neck dia of your loaded rounds with the lapua brass, been looking for someone who was using it to see if the necks had to be turned or not.

All my fired cases averaged a neck diameter of .288. If you take half the thickness of the value below, that is how thick the brass is in the neck. I think I removed .02-.03 off the Lapua cases.

neck%20thickness.gif

The brass I'm using is Rem brass and has been fired twice. I don't have a 270 FL die so if I plan to size down to 270 first i'll have to pick one up. I think i'll just take a few and try to size them straight down to 25 and measure everything and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback.

I did some FC test cases before I started on my Lapua's. I think you'll be fine. Something to consider- Both my converted 25-06 cases and 6.5 Creedmoor cases shrank .005- .01 after their first firing.

Good luck!

Do you mind if I write out the steps I took in forming the cases here? Maybe it could help some other folks.

Wyo7200":1ymkdeno said:
I did some FC test cases before I started on my Lapua's. I think you'll be fine. Something to consider- Both my converted 25-06 cases and 6.5 Creedmoor cases shrank .005- .01 after their first firing.

Good luck!

Do you mind if I write out the steps I took in forming the cases here? Maybe it could help some other folks.

No problem, that would be great. Thank You!

Just checked GRAFS.

They advertise that they have .25-06 brass on hand, for sale, from Hornady, Norma and Prvi.

FYI, Guy

Back