Testing the new 200 gr Accubond in my Whelen

whelen35

Beginner
Jun 28, 2012
After seeing some interest about how the 200 gr .358 Accubonds will hold up on milk jugs I just had to test it today. I really enjoy the information given out on this board and would love to contribute to it.

First, the rifle my Remington 700 KS it shoots extremely well with accubonds whether the 225 or the new 200's. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX-3 with CDS.
pic2.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the recovered bullet. Shooting at 100 yards it was recovered in the 5th jug. I haven't weighed it yet but it did expand a lot. I cronographed one and it was going 2885 fps.

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

Think I will give these a try on game this year. Should be fun.

Very nice! Another typical AB. Welcome to the forum. The old 35 Whelen has a cult following here it's probably one of the favorites. What's your load for that?

Very nice rifle you got there. What game you going for this fall? I haven't used the Accubonds in the field yet, but will come August and will have a report on the .284 160 grain AccuBond.

Holy smokes! That looks awesome and that speed is EXCELLENT outta the Whelen!

Welcome aboard buddy! Your in good company around here.

Man, that bullet test is going to get some comments for sure!

HeathSexton":2cw5t4ic said:
WOW! I need a Whelen................

Heath, I just sent you a PM buddy...

To answer your question, YES you need a Whelen.. Jeeze.... Is that even a question?

Welcome to the forum, your KS Mountain rifle is an absolute beauty :) Thanks for doing the test on it, it performed very well can't wait to try it myself. What powder did you use for your load?

The whole world needs a Whelen :mrgreen:
That is a excellent first post with photos also I already like that fellow :wink:
Seriously the 200gr. looks like it is going to perform well and the speed is more than decent.
More info would be appreciated barrel twist, and load info.

PS Welcome to the forum, I think you are going to really enjoy this group of people lots of knowledge and a willingness to help :)

Blessings,
Dan

whelen35,

Welcome to the forum!

Nice rifle and scope, excellent for NA.
Excellent results with the 200 gr AB, thanks for sharing with us buddy.

JD338

It is great to see so many Whelen fans I get some odd looks sometimes when people ask me what I am hunting with and I say 35 Whelen. Anyway the load is 60.5 grains of Rl 15. My rifle has the standard Remington 1 in 16 twist. I plan to take the rifle deer and elk hunting this year it should be more than enough. I will go do a little accuracy testing this morning to see how it shoots at 100 yards with the 200's I will let you know.
Thanks

Nice rifle and great pictures of the bullet. What are you loading to get that velocity?
Paul B.

35 Whelen,

Your name alone will ensure a warm welcome around here. :mrgreen: We're all glad to have you aboard and sharing your findings. The little Remington setup looks good, and the results of your first test with the 200 grain AB is quite convincing. That will put the smack down on about any game in North America. Thanks for posting.

Welcome aboard Whelen. I enjoyed this post very much, as I have been considering building a .35 Whelen for some time. I/we look forward to more of your input on the forum.

whelen35":2lfgfmpw said:
It is great to see so many Whelen fans I get some odd looks sometimes when people ask me what I am hunting with and I say 35 Whelen. Anyway the load is 60.5 grains of Rl 15. My rifle has the standard Remington 1 in 16 twist. I plan to take the rifle deer and elk hunting this year it should be more than enough. I will go do a little accuracy testing this morning to see how it shoots at 100 yards with the 200's I will let you know.
Thanks

Man, that is a standard load for the Whelen around here.. Just hard to beat RL15 in the Whelen.. Seems like it is doing plenty good with the 200's as well. Looking forward to your accuracy testing as well.

35 Whelen that is a beautiful rifle and a perfect scope sitting on top of it. It looks like they were made for each other. That 200 gr. AccuBond sure is a thing of beauty too. Excellent performance and mushroom. It does not appear like it could have done any better. Now isn't that water jug testing a lot of fun! :lol: :wink:

Even though I do not own one of those 35 Whelens (Scotty :mrgreen: ) does not mean that I don't appreciate the cartridge and bore diameter. Heck anything made on a 30-06 case just has to be fantastic! I catch a little slack around here because of my BSD or bore size deficiency.

Can't wait to see how it shoots for you and welcome!
David

DrMike":1vnf5t4i said:
I catch a little slack around here because of my BSD or bore size deficiency.

That is as it should be, David. :grin:

David, I don't give up. It isn't in my vocab.. Besides, I know you would like it..

This would fix your BSD deficiency pretty quick, and then you would have to stop complaining about all of us bigger bore guys getting all of the bullets..

David, that is a fine buy staring you in the face. A little overtime this month, and ... Voilà! It's paid for!.

Back