Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing System

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I just bought a new vanguard .300 Wby and thinking about loading some of these bullets up to help break in the barrel. Has anybody used this stuff before? would it be better to use some of these or just break it in using partitions? thanks for the help

I have never used the final finish system bullets.
Break your rifle in as usual. If you have problems down the road and you can definately determine it is from a rough bore give the Tubb bullets a try.
You could also use a less expensive bullet for your break in.
Speer BPSP bullets or Hornady core locks come to mind for that purpose.

how do you guys go about barrel break-in. I have never done it before, so I am curious how to do it? Does it matter what bullet or weight of bullet. Or can i use anything?

I've used the Tubb Final Finish bullets to smooth a rough bore. Have nothing bad to say about them - but I'd try breaking the barrel in with good, inexpensive, conventional bullets first.

Pretty simple process. Some guys make a mountain out of a mole hill about it.

What you're really trying to do is to burnish out the rough tooling marks left during the chambering process. Some reamers are pretty rough and leave the throat area very nasty. The break-in process smooths out that area and reduces future fouling.

Others claim a barrel doesn't need to be broken in at all. That's fine too. Clean it, shoot it, clean it some more. That's essentially what the break-in process consists of. Repeat until the copper fouling is minimized or eliminated.

Regards, Guy

I agree with all of the others but I used the Final Finish bullets in my 30-06. It worked as far as smoothing out my bore and barrel. It might not improve the accuracy but it sure is easier to clean and is now slick as a button. I bought the bullet pack and reloaded mine versus buying the preloaded pack.

I talked to a guy at the range one day while he was firing a course of Final Finish rounds. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and he told me he routinely did this with every rifle he bought and that it improved accuracy noticeably. I bought the kit and loaded them up for one rifle I have, but I still have not fired them because of second thoughts and doubts. The rifle is not a bad fouler and is already quite easy to clean. It just isn't as accurate as I would like. I plan to exhaust all the other options before firing the Final Finish loads.

I have always shot on round and then cleaned for the first 10 rounds. For the next 10 or so rounds I would should 3 rounds and clean after the third round and repeat.

Corey

Guy Miner":1yfj5g0w said:
Others claim a barrel doesn't need to be broken in at all. That's fine too. Clean it, shoot it, clean it some more. That's essentially what the break-in process consists of. Repeat until the copper fouling is minimized or eliminated.

I kind of fall in that category of shooter. My family is originally from the "Show me State" a skeptic. I just clean the new barrel and shoot it, from factory barrels to expensive customs. This is my favorite article about the subject http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

I wonder about those Tubb final finish bullets and how much of the throat your erosion your getting from his process.

I will probably regret getting into this discussion because it really stirs people up & normally the stongest opinions come from those who have not tried the product.
I have shot a bunch of my own rifles over the years, some without break-in, some with various breakin methods & some with Final Finish.
I do think it is best to have a breakin procedure, even a simple one on factory rifles at least.
I have used final finish on 4 rifles & in all cases the primary reason is to close down the "copper factory", I hate to have a hill of CR10 soaked patches every time I clean a gun. In all cases the final finish made a huge difference in cleaning & in 3 cases the accuracy improved by a good bit & one 1 the accuracy was the same or very slightly better. I had a guy chech the bore & throat with a bore scope & all looked good, but for sure not perfect as anyone who has used a borescope would understand.
I am about to get Final Finish again for a very good shooting 308VS I have that likes to collect copper.
Just my personal experience.

I have used the Tubb bullets in a 7 STW SS with good succes. As with most stainless, it tends to be sticky when machined and difficult to get a smooth finish on, which grabs copper. After running the Tubb bullets thruogh the gun I noticed a lot less effort was required to keep the bore clean. As for accuracy. it did inch and a half groups with everything before and after, until I fed it 168 VLDs'. Now < MOA

I could see the value of it on a rough factoy barrel, but I would never use it on a hand lapped, custom barrel such as a krieger or lilja.

Back