Varmint scope power?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What scope power do you guys consider enough for most vaminting?

14, 16, 18, or 20 in the top end?

POP,

I'm a big fan of minimum 12X to max of 16X or so. I have two Straight 12X Leupolds and two straight 16X Leupolds.
I think you cross that 16X range or so and conditions had better be really good out along with a great piece of glass.
One of the 16X's sits atop my 7-08

I have had 20x before but can almost never use it..... mirage from hell.

I've done a fair bit of varmint shooting with Leupold variables - those have taken care of most shooting. Primarily I use a 4.5-14x, but the lower power versions worked real well too.

Have a straight 12x Leupold that I treasure - the elevation & windage adjustments are crisp and dead on, and the glass is great! I'd rather have good glass and excellent adjustments than a bunch of magnification.

Gave my son a 6.5-20x Leupold for his .223 Bushmaster, it's been PLENTY of scope for varmints. Dad also uses a 6.5-20x Leupold, and is more than happy with it. Neither of them use 20x very often.

I was going to purchase a 6 X 18 Leupold right before hunting season to go on my .300RUM and ended up with the Zeiss on it.
I still wouldn't mind having one of them... maybe for the VTR....

I can only imagine what the mirage is like on a hot day in Wyo over a P-dog town.

I've shot alot of prairie dogs that would tell you the 4x I was using at the time was enough. For a straight power, 10-12x works great. For variables I like a good 6.5-20 for varmits. Of course Guy is right. Quality of optics and adjustments matters more the magnificaiton.

Maybe a 16 power or 18 power max should be ok I guess.

POP,
Have you ever played with any of the Burris Fullfield II Tacticals ? I've looked through them at the store ( short of their green color ) seem ok.
Second issue I'd have was the length of time Warranty takes after JD's ordeal even tho they are 20min away from me.

For varmint rifle, I found 12 to 14X to be ideal. Glass quality is more important than magnification.

My favorite varmint rifle is my CZ Varmint 204 Ruger which wears my best and most expensive scope, a 5.5-16x44 Nikon Monarch.

For calling yotes, I think it's hard to beat a 3-9 power and that's what I have on the 223 and 243 in Bushnell 3200 Elite.

I had a 4.5-14 buckmaster on the 243 for a while but put that on my 7mag so I can use the MOA turret adjustments, where as the 243 imo is better suited with less power for shots out to 300 yds with ease.

Over time, I am learning to get a good load worked up, put on the right scope for the job, and LEAVE IT ALONE! If I need something for another job, pick up the right gun and go to work.

Here's my favorite of them all and it's mounted on my favorite Varmint rifle. It's the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000.

DSC00262.jpg

I bought a nice 6.5 -20 power....... :lol:

I use an 8-32 on a 22-250. I am thinking about going to a 6-24 or 6-18 & upgrading to a higher quality scope.

I am with Desert Fox, best bang for the buck on the PD rifles was/is the Bausch & Lomb 6x24. With that said I also own Lupy vari XIII in the 6.5x20.

But to answer your question and it depends on the mirage. Typically run it around 16-18. Ran it higher and lower, but condition limited....

Nodak

Desert Fox":264g0672 said:
Here's my favorite of them all and it's mounted on my favorite Varmint rifle. It's the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000.

DSC00262.jpg

DOES NOT COUNT!!!!!!!!! what is it ?????? D..Fox?

Could you imagine a this thing being a 32-20 ?????????????? better yet a 50-110?

All kidding aside.....

Sorry I could not resist!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back