Virginia Hunters

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Any of you fellow Virginia hunters have to purchase a National Forest Permit? I can't seem to find it on the website to purchase with my licenses. It's always been there in the past. I have an email sent to the DWR on Tuesday, but haven't heard back yet. I haven't bought my Va license in a while, but I assume a National forest permit is still required for GW and Jefferson National forests.
VA Hunting/Fishing Licenses

Well, never mind. Apparently I purchased a Nat Forest Permit with my fishing license , so it was removed as a purchase option. Old age catching up, I guess. Check back next week when I'm on the porch shaking my fist at kids telling them to get off my lawn! :sneaky: Explains why I haven't heard back from DWR, they're probably sending officers to investigate if I'm mentally stable enough to be hunting

Last edited:
Well, never mind. Apparently I purchased a Nat Forest Permit with my fishing license , so it was removed as a purchase option. Old age catching up, I guess. Check back next week when I'm on the porch shaking my fist at kids telling them to get off my lawn! :sneaky: Explains why I haven't heard back from DWR, they're probably sending officers to investigate if I'm mentally stable enough to be hunting

Ha! It can be quite a list of things to keep track of today. When I started one license left you hunt everything. Small game of all sorts, doves, fox, coon, deer, bear, your name it. Now you feel like you need to hire a lawyer to make sure you're in compliance. Get a license they said........it'll be easy they said.

Don’t feel bad , took me forever to find that silly cougar in Guy’s post.
Ha! It can be quite a list of things to keep track of today. When I started one license left you hunt everything. Small game of all sorts, doves, fox, coon, deer, bear, your name it. Now you feel like you need to hire a lawyer to make sure you're in compliance. Get a license they said........it'll be easy they said.
Yep. And everything is broken down county by county, sometimes. They have a “sportsmens package” that covers everything including fishing. I’ll admit that since they started to micromanage deer, bear, and turkey, we are seeing more and better animals.

I remember it was like that when I was younger (I won't embarrass you by saying how old I was, exactly). I grew up in a place where you just got a license and hunted anywhere in the state you could get permission. Then I moved out west for the same time and literally gave up hunting for several years because I had no idea how any of it worked.

Just so you all know what Hunter has to deal with - Ladies and Gentlemen, the VA firearms deer season map:

1662391341958.png
And, for those of you who got nausea just looking at it, I will point out that Arlington County has both early and late firearms deer seasons AND prohibits the discharge of firearms. So, I guess you bludgeon them to death with the stock. NoVA.

I'm gonna put something on here that may be controversial to some. And I'm certainly not gonna stick my nose into telling someone else how they should run their family. So this is just my opinion. But for those that don't have what they need rifle component wise.........as of now 22 ammo is fairly available online. If you have $400 you can get a case of 5000 rounds of 22 with free shipping.

A man can kill an awful lot of game with a 22 if needed. Big or small. If crap gets real, for real and breaks down, all these man-made laws and seasons regarding food God put here on this earth for us to use, is gonna go out the window. Fast. Just the reality of it, like it or not. I've seen it around here on a smaller scale in times past when things were not near in the shape as what might be coming. If it was me and I didn't have what I thought I needed, I'd at least make SURE I had enough of what is available for now. Just in case. My .02. Take it or leave it. Doesn't change anything for me here on my end either way, but might change things for somebody else down the road.

Just so you all know what Hunter has to deal with - Ladies and Gentlemen, the VA firearms deer season map:

View attachment 17610
And, for those of you who got nausea just looking at it, I will point out that Arlington County has both early and late firearms deer seasons AND prohibits the discharge of firearms. So, I guess you bludgeon them to death with the stock. NoVA.
Well dang, I got the wrong thing, apparently I can only shoot left handed deer when they’re traveling SW on north facing slopes on the 2nd Tuesday.

Hurts to type (Literally) so I will be brief. Why in the heck do states make it so complicated for residents to get a Permit!! To say nothing of non-residents who would like to go home and hunt with family. Web sites that don't work and rules and regs written by lawyers...not hunters or the people who live on the land. Aw I gotta quit... just get myself pissed off and more depressed. CL

The colorful map is the only scientific method of sound game management! Its been used with great results in the west and some eastern states for years.
Prior to Game management and enforcement wildlife populations were horribly low. Management has to be determined by land use, public access habitat, etc.
Its Sport hunting....not grocery shopping. Btw, use of a .22 is illegal for some game species in most states. Its an ethical consideration...read the regs!

The colorful map is the only scientific method of sound game management! Its been used with great results in the west and some eastern states for years.
Prior to Game management and enforcement wildlife populations were horribly low. Management has to be determined by land use, public access habitat, etc.
Its Sport hunting....not grocery shopping. Btw, use of a .22 is illegal for some game species in most states. Its an ethical consideration...read the regs!
There is a great deal of legitimacy to what you say, in spite of my jest. I have, however, lived in eleven US states, and I can tell from personal experience that quite frequently game laws are passed without regard to any of the considerations you mention. If anything, though, these regulations tend to lead to overpopulation, with all the attendant complications. I do take issue with your contention that it is sport hunting. While that is true in the majority of cases, I have known a considerable number of families who hunt to either supplement, or entirely account for, their sustenance. THAT having been said, there are some jurisdictions where I have lived which have exemptions for sustenance hunting.

Insofar as using a .22 is concerned, I have used, seen used, and seen the effect of use of that caliber from rifles and handguns. I do not advocate violating any laws, or regulations, but I also think it behooves a man to contemplate the question in light of the ethics of starvation. I.e. At what point is it better to do an unethical thing (e.g. big game hunting with a .22 LR) to prevent another unethical thing (permitting someone to starve). Again, I'm not advocating unlawful behavior.

That sounds good and is neatly packaged. If eggs are $8.50 a dozen, milk $13 a gallon, the heating bill for the month is $1500 and the electric bill $475, it will have very little to no relevance.

In that situation for many families someone admonishing them on the internet the equivalent of "no running in the hallway, you're breaking the rules," will mean nothing. If we get there, watch and see.

I will not tell someone else how they should view hunting. I immensely enjoy the challenges and the experiences, but for me at the end of the day, it is indeed about "grocery shopping" and putting food in the freezer. Always has been and I make no apologies for it. At its core, the way it was meant to be in my opinion. It's there for me to use, and I do my best to make good use of it.

Waste not, want not, as they say.

View attachment 17610
Look like a kids puzzle

View attachment 17610
I lived in Virginia off and on for almost 30 years and what you are showing is exactly why I hunted in Maryland. Their regulations are like reading stereo instructions!

That'll teach you! Read them dang regulations! They're developed by real experts! Or something.
Or something. WV is just as bad. You have too constantly stay up on the regulations and make sure which county has what limit for what you're hunting and on and on and on. Dan.

That sounds good and is neatly packaged. If eggs are $8.50 a dozen, milk $13 a gallon, the heating bill for the month is $1500 and the electric bill $475, it will have very little to no relevance.

In that situation for many families someone admonishing them on the internet the equivalent of "no running in the hallway, you're breaking the rules," will mean nothing. If we get there, watch and see.

I will not tell someone else how they should view hunting. I immensely enjoy the challenges and the experiences, but for me at the end of the day, it is indeed about "grocery shopping" and putting food in the freezer. Always has been and I make no apologies for it. At its core, the way it was meant to be in my opinion. It's there for me to use, and I do my best to make good use of it.

Waste not, want not, as they say.
That,s a lot of ifs !!!

Back