Whelen owners motto?

Woodycreek":1aojlqsn said:
Oldtrader3":1aojlqsn said:
All .340 Weatherby owners know where the real beef is located!!

That's right! :lol: I will have a 338 on the way in a couple of weeks.

It only took you three years to get on board and quit shooting them sissy 30 calibers. :twisted:

I know how it can be Mike. I was only there two years during my youth, as my dad took a work postion at Saskatoon. My sis-in-law still chuckles when I use some canuk grammer, I haven't seemed to let go of.

SJB358":3ma1ki5d said:
It only took you three years to get on board and quit shooting them sissy 30 calibers. :twisted:

Ha! I will take that sissy 30 cal anytime after it goes on a diet.

SJB358":6gr818t1 said:
DrMike":6gr818t1 said:
Woodycreek":6gr818t1 said:
All of the 338 shooters need to continue picking on the 35.....what was the name of that round? :lol: Funny and all in good fun!

You mean that 338 is actually a calibre? Why would anyone want to shoot such a puny piece of lead? I don't get it! Now, 358 calibre ... that's a man's bullet.

I am with you Mike. I figure the 338 will be a good rifle for my daughter, being smaller framed and such.. :twisted:

I will keep pushing real, man sized bullets downrange.

Ha! Liar, liar, pants on fire, you can't fool me just because you hide behind that beard! I know that your main battle rifle is the .338 WM. You can't fool a fool! :mrgreen:

Charlie I think he considers his 338 as his plinker & when the job gets tough he pulls out one of his 358s & gets it done :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

After reading all six pages of this thread, I'm suddenly hearing the immortal words of Shrek the Ogre, upon seeing Lord Farquad's castle:

Do you think he's compensating for something???

There's just not anything worth doing that can't be done with a 270Wby...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I apologize for my posts. I was joking and apparently not all knew that and i take full responsibility for getting the thread off track. For the record I dont have an issue with whatever caliber someone prefers, it is none of my business. Scotty and I have joked about this on a different forum and I should have not brought it to this forum--my error and my apologizes.

While I am here I also apologize for my comments on the "I like it" thread ( Fotis, Other topics ) again I was joking, but should not have gotten involved. Since it was specifically mentioned to me, I will at this time also apologize to Fotis s wife, I was not inferring anything as has been suggested. I have never meet Fotis and I dont believe Aleena has either. I apologize to fotis, his wife and all members of the forum.

This is very risky and maybe I should just pm Charlie and dubyam, so again to everyone who will find something wrong with this post. I am just teasing Charlie and dubyam--I am not serious.

Charlie. I also prefer dogs, have you ever seen a group of cats pull a dog sled, or track a wounded animal, or get a downed bird for you, especially if it is in water, or make an intruder run away ?

Dubyam. The 270 is not legal in this part of the world, as it is not a large enough caliber to hunt with here. 30-06 is the smallest caliber your allowed to take into the field, which is why most here use the 35 Whelen. Well I did see one a year or two ago and I am assuming that it is still being passed around to whoever is the next hunter going into the mountains, I am still awaiting my turn. Until then I am stuck with the 300 H & H, 375 H & H and 45/70. hopefully they wont let me down, but if you dont hear from me again you will know I should have waited for the 35 Whelen before going into the mountains

Cheyenne,, I am not privy to all of the other stuff, but you have a caliber restriction in your area where you couldn't use a 270? Is it for a certain animal or overall?

yukon huntress":3kpf9koj said:
This is very risky and maybe I should just pm Charlie and dubyam, so again to everyone who will find something wrong with this post. I am just teasing Charlie and dubyam--I am not serious.

Charlie. I also prefer dogs, have you ever seen a group of cats pull a dog sled, or track a wounded animal, or get a downed bird for you, especially if it is in water, or make an intruder run away ?

Aleena, I was just harrasing Dubyam for being so sure about and making absolute statements about pets. We also have a dog and she is the most loyal pet imaginable. Cats are only loyal when it coincides with their agenda which is almost never. Plus my cats are more loyal than my two youngest children (their mother assured that).

Unfortunately our dog is a Corgi and is afraid of gun shots but I do not hunt birds much anyhow and my son has two birdogs. Our Corgi also will not make anybody run away but she does bark like crazy at strangers. She is very sweet and loyal as well.

yukon huntress":220wl6l5 said:
I apologize for my posts. I was joking and apparently not all knew that and i take full responsibility for getting the thread off track. For the record I dont have an issue with whatever caliber someone prefers, it is none of my business. Scotty and I have joked about this on a different forum and I should have not brought it to this forum--my error and my apologizes.

While I am here I also apologize for my comments on the "I like it" thread ( Fotis, Other topics ) again I was joking, but should not have gotten involved. Since it was specifically mentioned to me, I will at this time also apologize to Fotis s wife, I was not inferring anything as has been suggested. I have never meet Fotis and I dont believe Aleena has either. I apologize to fotis, his wife and all members of the forum.

Dubyam. The 270 is not legal in this part of the world, as it is not a large enough caliber to hunt with here. 30-06 is the smallest caliber your allowed to take into the field, which is why most here use the 35 Whelen. Well I did see one a year or two ago and I am assuming that it is still being passed around to whoever is the next hunter going into the mountains, I am still awaiting my turn. Until then I am stuck with the 300 H & H, 375 H & H and 45/70. hopefully they wont let me down, but if you dont hear from me again you will know I should have waited for the 35 Whelen before going into the mountains

Cheyenne,

I am so very sorry that small minded people feel it necessary to try to inflate their ego by attacked the women on this forum. I did not see your various posts as inappropriate or out of line. Certainly, I took no umbrage at your posts. I do like the Whelen, but I also like rifles that generate more velocity or that sling heavier projectiles. I also enjoy rifles that use less powder. Shucks, I just enjoy differing cartridges.

DrMike":1oq6wyf2 said:
I do like the Whelen, but I also like rifles that generate more velocity or that sling heavier projectiles. I also enjoy rifles that use less powder. Shucks, I just enjoy differing cartridges.

Same here! While it's fun to talk about the virtues of one cartridge, it seems like there are a 100 others that do the same thing...

DrMike & Scotty I agree with both of you :) that is why I sometimes say there are so many calibres & so little time.
I don't believe there is a best. Because they can all do a job!!
Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":3rsq3w92 said:
Cheyenne,, I am not privy to all of the other stuff, but you have a caliber restriction in your area where you couldn't use a 270? Is it for a certain animal or overall?

Scotty, I have been asked this before, plus a couple of other "hunting in the Yukon" questions, so will try to answer them all here.

1. age, 12 to hunt big game, but must be with someone 19 or older. No age limit for First Nations people, which includes me Also you must be 12 to have a firearm possession permit, again unless your a First Nation individual and then no age limit. Again age 12 to take the firearm safety course, which is not required for first nation children.

2. Yes, hunting fishing license are Zero for First Nations people ( with exceptions on some animals/fish)
also over 65 is free for any one.

3. Non residents can not hunt the yukon without a licensed guide. It can not be "just" a resident citizen.

4. First Nations land is off limits for hunting, unless you are a First Nations person, without written consent from the First Nation office in the area you want to hunt and that only gives you permission to hunt in the unit you have the permission to hunt in, not all the First Nation lands.

5. First Nations people can hunt their land, anytime, year round, without a license, except for Elk and Bison

a. No Crossbow
B.No pistol or revolver ( unless you work in a remote area and/or are a trapper ) So both my husband and I can legally care a revolver
c. No shotgun under 20 gauge
d. no rifle under 6MM ( so your o.k. Dubyam (-: )
e. No muzzleloader under 45
f. No shotgun shot for big game, only slugs and no full metal jacket ammo for the rifles
g. No 35 whelens, except in the unit Bordering British Columbia, as some guy named Mike kept sneaking over with one so they just changed the law in that unit ( JUST JOKING ) 35 is over 6mm, so it is fine
h. there is a no caliber less than 30 caliber and 180 grain bullet in effect for Wood Bison, .54 caliber is the minimum for the muzzleloader when hunting the Wood Bison

7. WE are also allowed to hunt for substance, shoot bears if we are personally threatened, as use other peoples cabins if necessary. Most of the cabins you run into are trappers cabins and you are allowed to use them if necessary, but obviously must not take any thing. And leave money in the cup on the table to cover whatever food you may have eaten and you must also replenish the wood pile.

This is probably more than you wanted to know Scotty

Charlie, you have to quit confusing me with Aleena. She is the tall, thin, pretty swedish gal . I am the indian (-: Charlie, look at your last post about cats and dogs

Dr. Mike--thank you sir!

No 35 whelens, except in the unit Bordering British Columbia, as some guy named Mike kept sneaking over with one so they just changed the law in that unit ( JUST JOKING ) 35 is over 6mm, so it is fine

It is so easy to sneak across that I simply can't resist. Just feel ornery whenever working the border. :grin:

SJB358":14b8moyu said:
DrMike":14b8moyu said:
I do like the Whelen, but I also like rifles that generate more velocity or that sling heavier projectiles. I also enjoy rifles that use less powder. Shucks, I just enjoy differing cartridges.

Same here! While it's fun to talk about the virtues of one cartridge, it seems like there are a 100 others that do the same thing...

Yep, and if I could afford it, I would have one of everything.
I still wouldn't mind the .35 Whelen myself, even though it would add to the overlapping I have already. I think it is a great round within it's own attribute's. I seriously would look at a good deal on one, if funds permited at the time. On the other hand, I wouldn't rule out an MGM Encore .35 Whelen in the future as well, as I have plenty of 06 brass sitting here.

Cheyenne, I know it was more than I asked, but man, it answered alot of my questions. Thank you for taking the time to answer them all.

On another note, to bring this all the way off topic, have you shot your 300 H&H yet? I have been waiting to hear about some range notes and what you think of it.

yukon huntress":eqke3bqm said:

My fault for not catching this earlier Cheyenne.
I'm not sure exactly on what and why you feel the need to apologize. I just haven't seen anything you stated that warrents an apology. It most often seems when threads go astray, it is in a joking or facetious nature, other's go off track in their own way. I really don't see that you responsible are on anything anywhere for other's response's,,,at least imo. They are responsible of their own.
I would hope you keep speaking your mind no matter how you care to present it. I certainly know you wouldn't be derogatory in any way. Ladies, and their input here are always welcome. I would like to see more of your gender, of any and ages and experience levels.
To most of us I would think, you are just another hunter/shooter. But I sure appreciate, your perspective or thoughts on all. Joking or not!!!!

Very well said gentlemen, and Cheyenne thank you for the information on Yukon hunting.
Cheyenne I have a question for you :) you stated that u carry a 45/70 is iron sighted?

PS. Mike how do get such connections to get across the Yukon border :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Cheyenne, I appologise and am embarassed. I will pay more attention. My wife says that I have been so sick for so long that my ability to focus is messed up, but I will try to keep it more straight. :oops:

Back