Rifle question

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
The idea of keeping things simple by bringing just one rock-solid, dependable rifle appeals to me. Most likely the .375 H&H for this trip, though I know its power isn't really needed for anything I'm hunting. I do enjoy hunting with that rifle so much though!

What I'm thinking is that in addition to the 1.5-5x scope already on the rifle, I might just take a "spare" scope, already in Ruger rings and already sighted-in... Just in case. It's a long trip...

I've found that I can remove and replace the scope & rings on my Number One with only a small shift from zero. Am thinking it might be real good insurance to have a second scope avail, just in case. Though I have to admit I've only had trouble with one Leupold, ever, in over 40 years of using them.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Guy

I think an extra scope already mounted and zeroed is cheap insurance. Plan for the worse and hope for the best. ;)

JD338

For the cost of a set of rings, and a little time at the range... Why not? Kind of where I was going with the thought.

Guy,
Thats a good plan B. Detachable rings might be something to think about also.
Russ

Yeah, that would be how I would roll Guy. I think it would be smart for alot of us to have a spare scope for our main battle rifle. Although, I think most of us end up with 2 or 3 extra rifles!

Guy,
When I went to Zimbabwe for plains game in 2000, I took my Sako L61 Deluxe 375 H&H as my only rifle. It was mounted with a Leupold VX Iii 1.5x5 and I took a spare VX III 2.5x8 mounted and zeroed in Sako mounts. Both returned to zero within 1" when removed and remounted. Never needed the spare scope, but it was good insurance.

Bruce

Sounds good guys. I'll grab another set of Ruger rings and set up a second scope before my hunt.

Never had a problem with a scope on a hunt, but I don't want to be halfway around the world, out in the boonies somewhere, with a scope problem and no way to fix the situation.

That will be a good time for me to just pull a scope off one of my other rifles too, they're not usually doing much in May or June.

Thanks, Guy

Guy,

The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is my all time favorite scope.
Another option would be a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm. I have this scope on my 1895 Guide gun and it is one bright scope. IMHO, it would be just about perfect for the 375 H&H.

JD338

Back