2019 Hunting Pictures

Congrats to the young lady!! What a cool trophy and interesting animal! Where does she go frome here?!?!? :) Free range Oryx?? how does that work and who issues the lisc etc? Again, really neat and congrats to you both. Yes indeed you are a blessed man- you've done well. Prayers for that young lady. CL

Cloverleaf, thanks man, we were both super excited for the opportunity. The New Mexico game and fish introduced about 95 of them into the white sands missile range back in the late 60's I believe. They have been extremely successful and have existed there in huntable numbers for decades. North American predators cant really handle them and they don't get sick, so hunting is really the only viable tool for managing herd numbers and keeping them from expanding out of the range. Kayla was actually called for a management hunt north of Las Cruces NM, we hunted some USDA property that the oryx have moved into off of the range in an effort to curb their expansion. I took my oryx the next weekend on a regular draw hunt on the stallion range, which is near the trinity site. Most of the draw hunts are once in a lifetime trophy hunts, meaning you draw it once and you are done, they also have some broken horn hunts through the drawing that are not once in a lifetime, that is the tag that I had, us locals would call an oryx with no horns at all a baldy. I could have harvested any oryx that was missing at least 25% of its natural horn growth on one side. They are not necessarily easy tags to draw, we were extremely fortunate to get to hunt them on consecutive weekends in different areas. They are extremely good to eat, most new mexican hunters will say they are the best tasting, and we have a large variety of species to chase here, the meat is very mild. Certainly one of the coolest critters I have hunted, it's really amazing to see them.

Not hunting but fishing with the wife at Caballo lake.

I caught a turtle
zmpWYwA.jpg

Then a white bass
tw0w4cD.jpg

Then a black crappie
2Z7O9c1.jpg

I caught two white bass and a black crappie
K2J2v3J.jpg

My poor wife did not catch anything.

after church, I grabbed my 20 gauge and camouflage And headed out for turkey. I made a big loop move 200 yards slow. Sit down and listen. Make a couple soft hen calls, then hit a couple loud gobbles, then quietly sit and wait.... then move in cover 200 yards again.... was almost back to the truck.. 200 yards to go. Sat down, did the soft Hen call, boom, had three hens on me in no time. Came right in and held at 5 yards.... eventually they spotted a.tom and made for him. I tried to get him to come, no way. Watched him and the girls head across the field, once the cleared, I double backed and started working down the tree line they entered. I picked up the hens, but didn’t spot the Toms (4 now)... realized they split at the tree line.. so I started GI Joe crawling in the 12” grass. Got within 75 yards of a nice Tom, the crawled under a pine, called, he strutted, but he held. Let him stew. Hit my outs and clucks, hit the gobble, he fanned our and started walking towards me, at 25 yards I leveled the bead on this neck. Boom. He dropped, no flop. What a fun day. While I did that, my wife was catching fish with her dad
4a04a4ef852ccdd5e692ef6e3372d095.jpg
2a4ef2d713267a737f544a9e6b1f3741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to have been a most delightful afternoon. Congratulations to both of you!

Congratulations Kayla and Toby284 on your successful NM Oryx hunt! That is just awesome.

JD338

mjcmichigan,

Congratulations on the nice Tom turkey.

JD338

I called in this Tom turkey last week and introduced him to a load of Winchester Long Beard 12 ga 3" #5 at 20 yards.
He has a 10" beard and 1" spurs.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_074803238.jpg
    IMG_20190522_074803238.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 2,660
Congratulations, Jim. That is just all right! Man, I could get into turkey hunting. I don't have nearly enough to frustrate me at this time. :mrgreen: Seriously, I'm envious of you fellows connecting on the turkeys. (y)

Thanks fellas. This was our first year hunting our new property. We have 68 acers and a lot going on, the loggers just finished up and we are building a new home on the property. The birds were chased off but are coming back now. I've got til Friday to get one in front of Sue.
No pressure...

JD338

.450 Howell and 350 grain Speer.
fpq2Kvk.jpg

k1B4T3i.jpg

The .450 Howell is on the left (loaded with a 500 gr Swift A-Frame) and a .460 Wby on the right (loaded with a 500 gr Hornady DGX.)
7e42MKs.jpg

3a2ec26f34ebd71fed6b17962b477b7b.jpg

We went king salmon “hunting” this morning, my boy got to reel in his first king, what a riot! He hit the river current and I thought he was gone, but we got lucky!

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Very neat catch! Creating the memories of a lifetime. What a blessed lad and dad. Happy Fathers' Day

Back