2019 Hunting Pictures

.460 Wby using a 480 grain Woodleigh SP.
6gpxpxq.jpg

Yup, always use enough rifle! :mrgreen: Neat picture, and some good exercise for the regular season.

Look like right in the boiler room too! Good thing it wasn’t off a bit haha. Nice shooting

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Congratulations elkhunternm on your jackrabbit safari.
Excellent bullet placement too. Did you recover the bullet? :)

JD338

Utah limited entry archery mule deer. Older Hoyt carbon element bow, carbon express maxima hunter 450 arrows with 100 1 1\4" slick trick broadhead and the same scott release I've used for two decades now. First shot took the liver which glued him down until I could put a finisher in him. He is 31 wide, remarkably heavy. A biologist in the area called him 8-10 years old, took teeth to fully determine the age.

Attachments

• resize muley buck.JPG
    resize muley buck.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 2,312
  • resize mule deer.JPG
    resize mule deer.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,312
  • resize muley.JPG
    resize muley.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,312
He's a dandy. Congratulations on a great animal. It's great to see the shot and equipment, but I'm really interested to hear details of the hunt. Kinda' stood ya' on your head, didn't he. :mrgreen:

My buddy and I shot these two buck on Kodiak Island last week. We saw 3 bigger then the one I shot. One jumped and ran from thick vegetation when I shot mine and my buddy couldn't get on it before it was too far to shoot, one winded us before we got a clear shot on him, and the other was too far to get to before dark.

Attachments

• Kodiak deer 2019 CQ.jpg
    Kodiak deer 2019 CQ.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 2,304
  • Kodiak deer 2019 me.jpg
    Kodiak deer 2019 me.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 2,304
Excellent! That had to have been a great hunt. Congratulations on a couple of good looking cervids.

You got those deer at the right time. I'm intrigued how one is in velvet and the other is definitely hard-horned.

There were tons of them both ways Mike. Maybe we just hit it at that time. Mine didn't actually have hanging nuts so he might be a "stag" so to speak. We saw probably 2X the number of bucks to does which I'd imagine would make the rut interesting around there. One day we saw over 30 bucks in the canyon I shot mine in and we spent most of our time hunting.

We didn't see any bears or caribou. It was suppose to be a caribou/deer combo hunt and we flew around looking for the caribou on the way in and the way out and could never find them. We also glassed for them just about every day in the flats we could see when we were up on top of the ridges. The canyon behind me is where all the deer were and right over the top of my buddies hat is where our camp was, on the left side of the lake. You cant really tell that well but where my buddies deer was the vegetation is about 6' tall which made getting from camp to the top of the ridges slow. It was 2200yds, using the rangefinder, from our camp to the saddle where we could see into the next draw. It took 2 hours every day to get there because of the vegetation and heat. The coolest day was 68 and the hottest was 82 with 90+% humidity. We were 3 miles from the ocean. When we got there we would strip and dry off in the wind before carrying on up the ridge. There is also no water on the top anywhere so we would carry 2) 2L Platypus bags with us every day. With that and freeze dried food we went through a lot of water which means tons of time using my gravity fed Platypus filter. We typically spent 1.5 to 2hrs a day filtering water. If I was to ever hunt there again I would take double the water and spike camp in the saddle we were hiking to. We only had 6 2L Platypus bags though. We pretty much just hunted the second half of the days because it would get light at 5am, the walk was 2hrs, we wouldn't get into bed until near midnight, and we spent so much time gathering water. 2 gravity fed water purifiers and more bags would of sped things up or using my buddies pump would of as well.

Sue shot this crop damage doe at 245 yards with her Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 129 gr ABLR. Scope is a VX-6 3-18x44mm with a WindPlex reticle.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20190824_210038884.jpg
    IMG_20190824_210038884.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2,731
Back