270 & muleys or whitetails

redneckhunter

Beginner
Oct 2, 2005
ok got a new rem 700 in .270 win
i want to hunt big muleys and whitetails in ks which bullet should be best for either ? 130 AccuBond or 140 ab, or even Partition 130 or 140 gr. shooting out to 300-350 yds any help much appreiciated :mrgreen:
or any other combos

Any of those would be fine.

In my 270s I've been using Winchester PowerMax factory ammo (is that sacrilege here?) because it is very accurate and does an exceedingly good job on deer and antelope. I've used it on animals to 300 yards, steel to 450+ with excellent results.

So, the AccuBond, Ballistic Tip and Partition would all work well. Choose the one that shoots the best in your rifle.

I've loading for a friends 700 .270 for a couple years now. He wanted accubonds to start with so I worked up a load with 130 accubonds and h4831sc. He shot a few deer with them but was taking a lot of neck shots. He wasn't seeing the expansion he wanted with the neck shots so I recommended we load some 130 ballistic tips. Well I loaded them up and he shot a smallish 3x whitetail behhind the shoulder. He said "I have never seen a deer drop so fast! I'm not switching bullets after seeing that." With that said I don't think you can go wrong with accubonds or partitions if you're looking for a sturdier bullet, but the ballistic tips are difficult to beat for deer sized game from what I have seen (130 .270 win, 150 308, and 180 300 wsm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 130 gr PT is the classic bullet for the 270 Win.
Pick the one that shoots the best and don't look back.

JD338

If you do your part and put it where it is supposed to go then either will do the job. For deer I liked the 130 Ballistic tip or Sierra when I was shooting deer with a 270 Win. but these were NC deer that averaged 120 lb for a doe and 160 lb for a buck. These bullets BANG FLOPPED them. From my experience with the 130 AccuBond out of my 264 Win mag it is the best of both worlds. Flies like the Ballistic tip and starts to open up like it but holds together like the Partition and keeps on trucking.

The 130 grain AccuBond is more than adequate for big muleys and/or whitetail. JD338 is correct that the 130 grain Partition is classic for that calibre; you should not overlook that particular bullet. As has been stated, use whichever one shoots best in your rifle.

1Shot":38nuytxe said:
If you do your part and put it where it is supposed to go then either will do the job. For deer I liked the 130 Ballistic tip or Sierra when I was shooting deer with a 270 Win. but these were NC deer that averaged 120 lb for a doe and 160 lb for a buck. These bullets BANG FLOPPED them.

Spot-on right comment above.

Mulies are no tougher than White tails. I've watched them drop from good shots from 243 Win, 308 Rem, and 300 Wby rifles. You'll be fine with your 270.

Redneckhunter, as usual, the previous responders to your question have provided great advise concerning bullet selection. I would in no way contradict these knowledgeable people, especially in using whatever bullet shoots best in your rifle.

I am also developing loads for my 270 Win. with the idea of shooting a deer at 300 - 400 yards. I offer the following ballistic info I calculated using a ballistics calculator.

_____________________130 gr. AB___140 gr. AB____150 gr. BT or CTBST
Ballistic coefficient______.435____________.496____________.496
Muzzle Velocity (fps)_____3060____________2905____________2905
Velocity at 400 yds (fps)__2230___________2193____________2193
Energy at 400 yds (Ft-lb)__1435___________1494____________1601

For my own gratification I am developing loads for about 4 different bullets. If they were to all shoot equally well, I would probably choose the 150 gr. BT or CTBST for deer hunting, just in case I get the long shot. Otherwise I will go with what is the most accurate and consistent in my rifle.

Last year I hunted with the 130 gr. AB factory loads. This year I hunted with the 140 gr. AB reloads. Both killed deer dead. Next year????

Have fun and good luck with your efforts.

In my wife's 270 I've had really good luck with 130gr accubonds. My uncle has been killing deer with 130 and 150grballistic tips for years. Very effectively

This is the exit hole out of the rear part of the ribs of a large cow elk taken with a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips out of my Model 70 in 270 Win. Load was 61 grains of H4841SC and CCI BR2, Nosler brass and around 3,100 fps. Seated 0.020 off the lands. Shot was at around 195 yards. Needless to say it did not go far. This load shoots about 1/2 MOA in my rifle. Killed three elk with this load and all have dropped at the shot in their tracks, although I put another in this one to speed things up.

The first pic is the yellow polymer tip found just under the hide. I did not recover the bullet although I did not look hard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4,099
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,098
Ballistic tips are my favorite bullet. Tough, accurate, easy to tune in your rifle, and the most cost effective bullet out there!

I might be outta line here, but Accubonds may be a little too tough in my opinion for deer. I watched a friend shoot a doe at 100 yards on a perfect broadside shot straight through both lungs, 140 grain factory ammo with Accubonds and the deer took off as if it hadn't been hit. It only went about 50 yards. The exit hole on the far side of the ribs was about 1" wide. It obviously worked, didn't go far, but I think Ballistic Tips would work better for you on deer sized game. If you were going after elk or moose, I would say Accubonds all the way!

Good luck.

I currently use 140 grain AB with 58.0 grains of H4831sc. Shot a Blacktail buck this last year at 15 yards, with a complete pass through. A couple years before that a Mule deer at 30 yards (twice) and those were pass throughs as well.

Before that I shot a Mule deer at about 80 yards with a 130 grain Ballistic Tip, using RL22. That deer died too, but did have a lot of bloodshot.

Those are my only two bullets I've tried in the 270 win, and they both shoot great!

I shoot the 150 gr. BT in my .270 Win. They are incredibly accurate and kill with authority. I also favor the higher energy at further range with the heavier bullet.

That said, all the bullets mentioned have and will kill any muley or whitetail quite readily! Good luck with your new rifle!

Hi RNhunter welcome to the forum, I know that you will enjoy the group here as there is one heck of a lot of knowledge and most people are afraid to tell you that either :lol:!
If have been shooting the 270win Model 700 for over 40 years and 35 of them was with the BDL & 130gr. partitions. For the last 10 years or so I have switched to the CDL and have been shooting 130gr.Accubonds out of it. I personally find the 130 Accubonds a little more accurate have I have used them on Moose, Elk, Whitetail & Mulies with a fair amount of success :)!
I use IMR4350 powder and when I can do my part it they are right around .5MOA.
I am sure you are going to enjoy shooting the 270win it is a great calibre.

Blessings,
Dan

Howdy RN Hunter.
Welcome to the best forum on the net. By your handle I'm going to guess you're a Registered Nurse. :)
I'll not offer advice on Jack O'Connor's favorite cartridge except to say that it's worked well for a lot of people for a lot of years.
BTW, I have a license as an RN too. Nice to meet another that hunts.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have had my .270 Win, Model 70 for 42 years now and use the 130 Partitions exclusively. In my SG Win 70, it has killed many, many deer to 450 yards. Almost all one shot kills and mostly mule deer.

My experience with the .270 is long but very thin. Bought my first one NIB in 1973 for $75.00. To quote the late Jack O'Connor, "The stock on that rifle was so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile." Based on an FN Mauser with a 24" barrel that was about as thin as a soda straw, that slightly over 6 pound rifle would put three shots under a nickel and five shot just slightly larger. My thoughts were restock the rifle and be done with it but would I retain that fantastic accuracy? Murphy's second law says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It ain't broke, just ugly. :( Back then only two choices, Nosler Partitions or standard cup and core bullets. I tried O'Connor's pet loads with several brands of 130 gr. bullet but didn't care for the meat destruction so went to 150 gr. bullets at the suggestion of a friend. He liked the 150 gr. Sierra game Kings and they shot very well in that rifle. Took a couple of deer with the load and put the gun in the back of the closet. Years later and a move to Arizona and I got the urge to collect Ruger #1's. Found a #1A in .270 for a good price so it came home with me. Whoever owned it had problems and free floated the barrel which didn't help a bit. I put a shim under the barrel at the tip of the stock and groups tightened up to hold at about one inch. Got another FN commercial Mauser from the early 1950's that I bought more for the action than anything else but it's another that shoots too darn good to butcher up.
Last one was found maybe five or six years ago at a gun show. When I first saw it, I thought it was an M70 Featherweight that the owner had replaced the stock with a McMillan. Had a decent scope on it and the price was right after dickering with the owner a bit and it came home with my. On the way home from the show I'm thinking, Why in the hell did I buy that rifle? Stopped at Walmart and bought a couple boxes of Winchester 150 gr. Power points to check the gun out and went to the range the next day. Guy said the rifle was sighted in three inches high at one hundred so I just set my target out at one hundred and slowly shot a five shot group. One tiny hole so I go down and sure enough five shots in one ragger hole. I did several more five shot groups and the largest group was the last one. Either the barrel was a bit too warm or I was getting a bit tired or maybe a combination of the two. That rifle was a keeper.
I've seriously hunting it once for antelope shooting the 150 gr. Sierra Game King over 57.5 gr. of WMR powder. Velocity runs about 2850 FPS. Shot my antelope at 75 yards. Bullet hit in the short ribs and exited just behind the right shoulder. The "goat" did a little 30' half circle and expired.
My elk hunting partner shot his elk with that same bullet from a .270 WSM and it too was a one shot kill. I just prefer the heavier bullets in the .270 and have some 150 gr. Nosler Partitions loaded up for my upcoming elk hunt.
Paul B.

thanks everyone for the info. Vince the only think im registered to nurse is a warm toddy on a cold nite ,lol

RN you better warm up the toddy cuz its gonna be cold in east Texas tonight. And by the way, my winchester model 70 likes the 130 Partition and my model 700 remington likes a 130 Sierra flat base. Out to 300 yds you don't gain much from a high ballistic coefficient so I'd go with the Partition, any weight, whatever shoots best in your rifle.

redneckhunter":odylvs0e said:
thanks everyone for the info. Vince the only think im registered to nurse is a warm toddy on a cold nite ,lol
Redneck,

I see you changed your name. :)

Just goes to show you that what they say about assumptions is true. [emoji106]
A hot toddy sounds good right about now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back