348/358---300 H & H/35 Whelen

The 99 posted from Gunbroker is a nice rifle! And it is the older style with the slick brass magazine mechanism and round counter. Price appears reasonable (seen them run $1000-1200 here in Canada for the same rifle).

Love the otter praying for the 99 for Cheyenne! LOL

hseII, that action should work for you nicely on your build. My 338-06 is a LH 700 as well, but did not get the blue printing or upgraded trigger. What is their pricing? (I didn't notice)
Originally installed the HS Precision detachable centerfeed magazine, but replaced it with original magazine and bottom metal. I just didn't like how it loaded (shells into the magazine, not the shells from the magazine into the chamber) and did not see the value in it (as it was $500).

The brush gun video was interesting. I have seen a couple of tests performed in shooting magazines over the years that has similar results with the sputters, but also had tumbling and deflections of the "brush" calibers and other big bores including round noses out of the 9.3x62, 375 H&H and 458. They used different medias than the type of brush in the video, at least one used a bank of dowels hidden behind heavy paper a distance in front of the large background target (so the shooter could not aim to have the bullet pass between the dowels). I believe the other placed a new row of green and dead branches before each caliber test, trying to simulate the type of brush being encountered vs just dry, harder dowelling. It's results were the same. All bullet types can be deflected from point of aim and/or not hit the target squarely.

All I know is, that I prefer to ensure that I have nothing to interfere with my bullets path on its way to the target. I would rather not take the chance. How many hunting videos have you seen where that stick the shooter didn't see, deflected their bullet or arrow, and they missed their target?

Since we have got off topic I would like to expand it a little with a really life experience where I shot a doe that I thought was clear of any obstacles an presented a wide open shot but hit a very small twig of about 1/16" in diameter that deflected a 165gr bullet from my 30-06. The twig was about 3 feet from the deer. The bullet traveling at 2800fps tumbled when it struck the twig but still proceeded on to it's intended target and struck where it was aimed. A broad sided shot that went in and took out one lung bounced back and forth off ribs and came to rest under the hide in the rear hind quarter on the same side it had entered. You would think with all of that it would have dropped in it's tracks but ran like it wasn't hurt and at first left no blood trail and just tracks in the snow in the direction it ran out of sight. I tracked it for a good 300yds with some blood droppings every now and then and where it had brushed up against brush. I found it were it had crawled under a multiple rose bush and laid down to die and was dead when I found it.
So my opinion is there is no such thing as a brush gun or cartridge designed to accurately shoot thru brush and cleanly kill game all bullets will deflect when they strike twigs or limbs. I recovered the bullet but it didn't expand and mushroom as it should and acted more like a solid as it went threw the body bouncing around.

A great account of what a tumbling bullet will actually do when it strikes the intended animal. Have not actually talked to anyone who has had this experience, and performed a necropsy on the bullet damage caused by the tumbling bullet.

Thanks!

Blkram":fsc5f432 said:
A great account of what a tumbling bullet will actually do when it strikes the intended animal. Have not actually talked to anyone who has had this experience, and performed a necropsy on the bullet damage caused by the tumbling bullet.

Thanks!
Blkram, your welcome. The internals were a complete mess and was afraid the meat would be ruined from the stomach fluids but I was close to home and got it washed out in time.

Yep she knows how to play us like a Fiddle. (y) Just mention anything 358 caliber or 35Whelen and we take off :lol: :grin:

truck driver":2bsb4v3c said:
Yep she knows how to play us like a Fiddle. (y) Just mention anything 358 caliber or 35Whelen and we take off :lol: :grin:

I heard somewhere, that somebody, once at least, necked a perfectly good .30 cal rifle cartridge up to .35 for some odd reason...

That ever work out? :grin:

Guy Miner":1fgrs2tr said:
truck driver":1fgrs2tr said:

I heard somewhere, that somebody, once at least, necked a perfectly good .30 cal rifle cartridge up to .35 for some odd reason...

That ever work out? :grin:
Oh Boy here we go again :shock: :lol: Hey Guy try it you may like it :roll: :grin:

For some reason I like poking you .35 & .27 caliber guys for a reaction now and then. Especially the .35 cal guys. You guys are so passionate about your choice of caliber - and it's a good one!

Oh crud, did I admit that in writing? :grin:

Instead of the .35, I went straight to the 3/8" bore when I wanted bigger than .30 and smaller than .458" - it's worked out well for me.

BTW, some of Scotty's .35 Whelen loads are very similar to my bear-taking .375 H&H load with the 260 gr AccuBond.

Guy

Guy that's what makes this forum so much fun we seem to be able to dish it out and take it also.
The 35 is the first over 30 cal I have ever tried and was shocked by how well it performed. I also like the fact that I don't have the recoil of the bigger magnums that goes with them. The 300Bee was my first magnum and don't want any larger than the 7mm Rem didn't care for the recoil.
The 35W/AI is all I need for NA and though I could push it faster I don't think I need to.
If the gun rag writers had the powders we have today they wouldn't have bad mouthed the 35W/AI now the way they did then. I'm even thinking about getting a reamer and having my M700 classic rechambered to get the added advantage the AI chamber provides.

Earle, loved the praying otter, too funny LOL Thanks for the link Rodger, will forward it to my grandfather. Gil, thank you .

I am back at work and not suppose to be on the computer right now, so can not stay and play but did want to make one comment-------------Gil, Dr Mike, Scotty---you knew this was coming

`hsell--it would be easier to just get a 300 H & H, and your done! these guys are just trying to complicate, confuse, and enable you into another rifle LOL

Have to run will try to catch up next weekend----however seriously, thanks guys for all the good information and guidance, it is appreciated

I personally think Guy is afraid to get a .35 Whelen, because it just may become his favorite rifle!!!

lefty315":3hixn4al said:
I personally think Guy is afraid to get a .35 Whelen, because it just may become his favorite rifle!!!

Actually,

I see no point in throwing the same weight bullet, at lower velocities, just because it is .020" fatter.

And, I've always wanted a 338something.

yukon huntress":2kkr5q9o said:
Earle, loved the praying otter, too funny LOL Thanks for the link Rodger, will forward it to my grandfather. Gil, thank you .

I am back at work and not suppose to be on the computer right now, so can not stay and play but did want to make one comment-------------Gil, Dr Mike, Scotty---you knew this was coming

`hsell--it would be easier to just get a 300 H & H, and your done! these guys are just trying to complicate, confuse, and enable you into another rifle LOL

Have to run will try to catch up next weekend----however seriously, thanks guys for all the good information and guidance, it is appreciated
If I have another 30 built, it will either be a long throated 300WM, or a 308 Norma.

Well, or a lighter weight 308, this one is mayhaps a touché heaby.
ef097249f15c7bd44c5ae9e56480aca3.jpg

YH,
Took me years to train that Otter to pray like that! :lol:

There was a chapter in Larry Killers classic book from the 1940's " Shots at Whitetails" that covers his extensive testing of various calibers thru thick brush, the results were
Darn interesting!
Having used the .358W for years on our big Whitetails in the dense woods we have in Northern Maine none of them could ever take a solid hit from old .358W. Fired itany times on them trying to get out of Dodge often thru
Brush of all kinds and works fantastic from our experiences....

35 Whelen":d8f3j6kx said:
YH,
Took me years to train that Otter to pray like that! :lol:

There was a chapter in Larry Killers classic book from the 1940's " Shots at Whitetails" that covers his extensive testing of various calibers thru thick brush, the results were
Darn interesting!
Having used the .358W for years on our big Whitetails in the dense woods we have in Northern Maine none of them could ever take a solid hit from old .358W. Fired many times, on them trying to get out of Dodge often thru
Brush of all kinds and works fantastic from our experiences....

lefty315":1a350s4n said:

I think you're right. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Paul B.

PJGunner":3jx0ptmq said:
lefty315":3jx0ptmq said:

I think you're right. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Paul B.
Oh yeah and he will never admit it either. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Guy, I ask for permission to get on the computer so that I could support you. As you know my original ( and only ) rifle was a 30.06 and it successful harvested wolfs to polar bears and everything in between. You have also harvested a quite a few big game animals with your 30-06 through the years, including the year 2016.

those of us who hunt, hunt. those, who have too much time on their hands will work with the 30-06 case in an attempt to find a different product. when they do, then of course they most attempt to sell it.

In our case Guy, we simply continue to hunt and successfully harvest animals and think to ourselves --it is isn't broke dont fix it

Earle, I once had a husky trained to put his head down and cover his eyes with his paws, when something went wrong, loved that dog, love your otter (-:

This is my thread and I can take it off course if I want to (-;

Back