35 Ballistic Tip

AzDak42

Handloader
Jan 26, 2012
So looking over the "Which AB should be next" thread, I had another thought but wasn't sure if this has been discussed or if anyone else would have any interest.

Anyone else think there could be a market for a 200g Ballistic tip in .358?

Heck, I'd just like to be able to get my hands on the 200g AB in .358...

I have some 225gr .35cal BT's. They made them years ago with a heavier shank before they introduced the AB's.

I would shoot the 358 caliber BT's if they were still around. I don't think a Whelen or 358 Winchester would stress them very much and to pay a little less for bullets would be okay as well.

A 200 grain BT would be some dynamite deer medicine. Alot of expansion and truck load of energy whacking them.

I really liked the 225 gr Ballistic Tip, it was accurate in my gun. That bullet brought home deer, bear, a stone sheep and moose for me with no problems. A 200 gr Ballistic Tip would be a nice slug to have around it would be perfect for animals from big mountain caribou on down.

Mass is mass, and frontal area is critical in bringing home the bacon. Yeah, I'd buy a 225 grain Ballistic Tip in 35 calibre.

The first 4 bucks I shot with my 700 Classic 35 Whelen back in '88-'89 were with the factory 200 gr PSPCL load. They hammered them but I wasn't impressed with penetration as I recovered 2 bullets, one in the neck and one in a shoulder.
I switched to the 225 gr PT and never looked back.

JD338

I always wanted to try the .358" 225 BT in my 350 RM, but never could find any. :( The 220 grain Speer HCFN shoots pretty well though.

Wincheringen":do1ti3wp said:
I always wanted to try the .358" 225 BT in my 350 RM, but never could find any. :( The 220 grain Speer HCFN shoots pretty well though.

If you are shooting a COL of 2.800, the 225 gr BT/AB might be a tad too long unless you file down the polycarbonate tip, making it more of a PP.

JD338

I have used Hornadys flex tip but they are soft and the brass needs to be trimmed at least in the 35 rem

A 235gr longrange AB would bring the 35 whelen to new hieghts. A 220-225gr solid base bonded spizter is needed for the 358win and 350rem mag.

The 225gr bullets have better BC and SD and trajectories than the 200gr bullets. The whelen and smaller 35's have little to no meat damage and a 200gr at 2800fps will have thee same if not more meat damage than a 270win so I do not see the point to persue that.

Mid priced bullets in the 220-225gr range that will work in the 358win/350rem and a LR AB greater than 225gr will sell.

I hardly ever disagree with the Scottman but have to on this one. I personally dont see the point of going backwards in bullet weight with a 35 caliber gun if it has the case capacity of the 06 case.
To me the whole purpose of the Whelen was to be able to shoot 250gr bullets at game over 400lbs and up. There it really shines ................. below 225gr I think you would be working backwards and down at the 200gr bullet weight you are getting into an awful short stubby bullet profile.
I would leave my 35 Whelen at home evertime and pick up a 270 Win for deer hunting ............. and just the oposite if I have to take a running shot at a wounded 1000lb Moose exiting the scene, the 270 would not be the gun of choice but the 35 Whelen is perfect for that task.
To me it is all about the size of the animal and not the bullet weight for a caliber. I have shot Big Bull Moose with my 243 [in the side of the head] but do not consider it a Moose gun. And while I am sure the 35 Whelen can be used sucessfully on Deer it is sorta like saying "Gosh I tryed my .458 Win Mag on a 110 lb doe and it sure killed her" . I am sure there is a good light load with a smallish bullet for the 458 that would work fine but why bother with the 270 laying right there?
Just my own humble opinion of course and probably doesnt fit with some of the others :shock:

I am with you Earle, the Whelen is really my elk/bear rifle and run the 225's and 250's out of it, with the majority being 250 PT's. I actually tried my Whelen with the 200 grain PSP Remington's, when I first got the rifle, and whacked two deer, in NY with it. Killed them, on the spot, but neither went through these deer, one broadside shots. After that, I went to 225's and eventually 250's and have gotten exits and still, dead on the spot deer. I don't really carry the Whelen for deer hunting though, I would, but with my 264 and 270WSM in hand, they make better deer rifles for me.

Your right though, the 200's are a little stumpy, but for a guy that has a Whelen, and wants to pole axe deer, the 200/225 BT would have to be thunderous. Rapid expansion and a big hole, that drains pretty quick. I can't see it not killing very quickly and transferring alot of energy into a deer.

I hear you Scotty and IF you only had ONE gun then that is a completely different story. The smaller bullets would offer you an angle for hunting game lighter than 400lbs so that point is certainly true.............. like you, I have both the 06, and my 270 for real deer hunting, and find I use the 270W with Rapid Z in clear cuts, and bogs were 300 plus, is a possibility and for all my regular "Woods Hunting" where most of our shots are 50-150yds, then the old 06 with 165gr Ssts or BTs, just folds em up like a deck of cards every time, if I do my part. The 35 Whelen is almost in a league of its own in efficiency, with 225-250gr bullets, and is still very underestimated by the general public , But has a wonderful following of knowledgeable folks on the Nosler Website! :lol:

No doubt Earle. I won't likely ever be without a Whelen. I will make due with the old clunker of a Remington for awhile I think. Everytime I get the thought of getting another one, this one turns in awesome groups and just fits. So, for now, that old Whelen keeps it place in the safe.

I got a few of the 225 gr. Balistic tips along with a couple of boxes of Accubonds and a box of Partitions from a guy who decided he did not like the .35 Whelen. :shock: Definitely need help, says I. Oh well, the price was right. I would not mind seeig that bullet come back as my rifle seems to like it. Just a test loading showed promise with it and the AB's grouping about the same. A bit more tinkering with load length just might make then a go to load for me. The big surprise was the Partition. First load was one inch and the next load up did .75". Guess I'll have to buy a few more of those. All bullets were 225 gr. BTW. Powder was Re15.
I think you all have probably read Paco Kelly's work with that Lyman #3589 cast bullet and I've been toying with that one for a while in my Ruger M77 but so far it doesn't seem like the rifle likes the bullet. Probably because of the slow twist. I've relegated the M77 to cast bullets only, the Remington M700 Classic to standard cup and core bullets and my custom Mauser to the various premium bullets. If anyone wants he article I can send a copy. Just ask. he also has a decent one on the .358 Win.
I have that Lyman bullet and a custom mold that is a duplicate with a minor change, a small flat spot on the nose. It was part of a group buy and the mold was made by David Mos. Once I get a load figured out for that bullet it'll be my go to load for hogs. 8) That mold casts a nominally 282 gr. bullet and weighs closer to 270 gr. in my alloy. I'm also plaing with the 200 gr. RCBS mold and two other Lymans ,one a 200 gr. hollow point and the a 250 gr. round nose.
I have to ask, does anyone else here play with cast bullets in their .35's, be they .35 Rem., .358 Win. or the Whelen? Just gives more ways to enjoy our favorite cartridge. 8)
Paul B.

SJB358":1yi2o828 said:
I would shoot the 358 caliber BT's if they were still around. I don't think a Whelen or 358 Winchester would stress them very much and to pay a little less for bullets would be okay as well.

A 200 grain BT would be some dynamite deer medicine. Alot of expansion and truck load of energy whacking them.

Yes, without a doubt, that would be some serious medicine.

PJGunner":1g7b6964 said:
I got a few of the 225 gr. Balistic tips along with a couple of boxes of Accubonds and a box of Partitions from a guy who decided he did not like the .35 Whelen. :shock: Definitely need help, says I.
Paul B.

Yes, he needs help, that is almost as bad as someone deciding they don't like the 30-06 :shock: :mrgreen:

Back