9.3x62 and Big Game

brianb

Beginner
Jul 1, 2018
Anyone have any recipes for NP and AB for a 9.3x62 and Ramshot Big Game and Alliant Powerpro 2000MR?

I've got a data sheet from Western Powders that shows a max load of 63.5gr/2625fps and 62gr/2550 fps for AB/NP, respectively. I can believe the velocity for the AB, but I don't believe I've ever heard of a 286 gr bullet over 2500 fps. That's smack dab in the middle of 375H&H territory with 300 gr bullets, as least as published in Nosler #7 and #8

My first batch was Hornady 286 with 62gr Powerpro 2000MR, for just a skosh north of 2400 fps.

Dewey;
That's some good stuff there. If I had saw it before i got my 35 Whelen I probably wouldn't have it.

Dewey;
That's some good stuff there. If I had saw it before i got my 35 Whelen I probably wouldn't have it.

Ha.
Maybe you need a 9.3 x 62 too? :grin:
Just kidding, but it is a terrific cartridge.

Dwh7271":2nv9ib73 said:
Dewey;

Ha.
Maybe you need a 9.3 x 62 too? :grin:
Just kidding, but it is a terrific cartridge.
If I didn't have the 338wm I would consider it in a nice M70. :)

Thanks for the input, gentleman. DWH, that's exactly what I was looking for. If anything, the Western Powders data sheet I have seems to err on the side of caution for the loads, and over-estimates by a bit on velocity, which is fine with me.

Ramshot, Alliant, and Hodgdon...better living through chemistry. ;)

If anything, the Western Powders data sheet I have seems to err on the side of caution for the loads, and over-estimates by a bit on velocity, which is fine with me.
Just a thought.
Remember you're dealing with a 100 plus year old cartridge. Many of the books and recommended loads probably err on the safe side.
It was originally loaded to around 2100 fps w a 285 then juiced up a little to around 2400. I'm sure many of the guides probably take the 56500 psi into account when making guides.
Barsness pressure tested a couple of the loads in the post to 60k or below. I would think in modern rifles should be no big deal but might be hesitant to run them in an original.
As I said, just a thought.
Fwiw, I run the Big Game powder load Barness posted in mine. Pretty much duplicates his findings. Mine is on a Model 70 action.

In one of John Barness's book he writes around 65.0grs of Big Game will get you around 2500fps with a 286gr bullet.

TXbaldhunter":11a8vzqi said:
In one of John Barness's book he writes around 65.0grs of Big Game will get you around 2500fps with a 286gr bullet.

That is a truckload of power right there.. Leaves nothing on the table in the real world to a 375.

I use John Barnes data in mine. I’m running 285 grain ppu round nose with 65 grains of big game for 2490 fps in 22” barrel. I did work up too 66 grains, and it was over 2500 fps but can’t recall the actual speed. I also ran 286 hornady spire point with 59 grains of varget for 2410 fps. Turned into my favorite rifle to load for. It’s a great old round and using a lot of John Barnes data is loaded to around 60k psi and turnes it into a even more formidable cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXbaldhunter":x0qq7uf6 said:
That's a good amount of speed for a big ole bullet out of a 30-06 size case.
It is! Honestly don’t know why I try to hot rod it. It apparently did a fine job for over a century with factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back