Bear Hunting Poll ?

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
Headed out to Idaho next week Bear hunting with Guide.
We are going to do hunting over Bait, Spot and Stalk and Dogs and I have two tags in different zones.
I’ll let you guys decide what to take.
Rifles
# 1 6mm Rem with 100gr Hornady BTSP scope 2.5x8 36mm
# 2 .264 Win Mag with 130gr Nosler AB scope 4.5x14 40mm
#3 30-30 Wim with Winchester 150gr Factory loads peep sights
# 4 300 H&H Mag with Nosler 180gr Partitions scope 3.5x10 40mm

Now what would you take and why ?

Man, we're practically going to be able to high-five; I'm headed that way first week of next month. What area are you headed to?

My vote: 30-30
My reason: Works well in tight cover for the hound hunt, and you won't worry about nothing over bait due to the ranges. Oh. and it's a classic.
Downside: Might be of limited utility on a spot and stalk, where the .264 or 300 H&H would be able to reach across a valley.

My wife and I hunted black bear at Libby Camps in Northern Maine . It was a baited bear hunt where we were in stands and the ranges were about 35 yards. Our pre-hunt lecture instructed the hunters to only take broadside double lung shots. They also prefer caliber starting at 30.

Bear have small lungs and won't go far if both of them are perforated. Once you see a bear skinned and boned, you understand how stout their structure is. Bear can absorb a lot of damage outside of the vitals and not be recovered. Libby's related a story about a hunter trying to shoot a bear through the shoulder with "some super magnum" and not recovering that bear, only to have it killed the next year over bait.

Sight for poor light, short ranges and quick handling.

If I were to use a 30-30, it would be with 170 grain bullets and peep sights. .or. something like a 1.5x5 Leupold with heavy duplex and a 45-70 Marlin 1895.

Being from PA, a common method for hunting bear is driving the thickets. I've heard many stories about "how hard bear are to kill' because they are just shooting at fur. Think about the hunting environment and what you need for full penetration. I would leave your first and second choices at home. High velocity is not the answer for bear.

Last edited:
Effectively, you are conducting different hunts that will benefit from different rifles. Over bait, the shots are not long and you usually have time to pick your shot. In this case, any of the cartridges will work. The 30-30 with a peep sight might just be ideal in this instance. For spot and stalk, the shots can require you to reach out, and they may mean you have to move quickly. I'd prefer either the 264 WM or the 300 H&H in this scenario. I've never hunted over hounds, so I can't really speak from experience. However, it would seem that the shots may be close and hurried. Again, the 30-30 would excel in this instance. You've had some excellent advice to this point. It should be a great hunt for you. I'll be looking forward to your report.

I'm with Bear on this one...300 H&H will do it all. I've hunted mountainous terrain and the need to reach out across a canyon seems to pop up pretty regularly.

Scoped rifle over bait is no handicap and likely better in low light. I've never hunted with hounds, but my guess is your going to be shooting a bear out of a tree...scoped rifle isn't an issue for that either.

There's a ton of guys around here who hunt bear with hounds, most use a quick handling carbine with iron sights,(or a hand canon if they tree the bruin) they usually wind up nose to nose in a laurel thicket, your 30-30 would be ideal..Spot and stalk I think I would choose the 264 Win Mag or 300, neither will leave you wanting for more.

I'd go with the 300 H&H for the spot and stalk. Spot and stalk hunting, I've shot one at 306 yards and another at about 325 yards. Sometimes that's as close as is possible. I'd probably also like it for sitting in the stand over bait. A lot of those shots are taken in poor light. The scope would be handy.

Chasing the hounds seems like a wonderful job for the 30-30!

Have fun and tell us about it!

Regards, Guy

30-30 for hounds and baiting.
Light, quick handling and plenty of power for short range shots, even on larger bears. As recommended above, use the 170 gr ammo.
Don't under estimate the 30-30 for out to 150-200 yards - still plenty of punch for a bear. Here is where a scope might make it easier to place the bullet more accurately than with irons. A low power variable would be the best option. And the Hornady 160 gr FTX load has the advantage here, as it is still packing 1100+ ft-lbs of energy @ 200 yards, whereas the 170's with the FP are retaining just under 900 ft-lbs. Gives the FTX an advantage in penetration, and shoots flatter.
300 H&H for 200-400 yard shots you may get across ravines and open spaces. That 180 gr bullet will carry the energy for reliable penetration and quick, clean kills (when placed properly).
Of course, if you are flying, then taking 2 rifles becomes an issue, but if you are driving, then it isn't.

This is a perfect opportunity to buy a new rifle. How about a nice 30-06 rifle with a 1.75x6 scope? That should cover all the bases nicely and you won't need to bring two rifles.

I'm sure the wife would understand. :D
Precisely. Just hope she doesn't realize that if all you need is a 30-06, you don't need all the other rifles! 😉

JD338

Well I would not need to buy a 30-06 as I was gifted my fathers Remington 742 30-06 just a couple weeks ago.
But I don’t have time to set it up for me.
Leaving this afternoon

Back