Best all-around medium power cartridge

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
So just for fun, what is the best all-around medium power cartridge for North America hunting?
Game to include deer, antelope, black bear, and up to elk and moose at ranges from 50 yds to 400 yds. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 7mm-08, 7mm Mauser or 280 Rem loaded up with a 150 gr PT would cover it all. What do you fellas think would be ideal?

JD338

Hard to argue with these two super intelligent fellows!! :mrgreen: :grin: I agree completely. .280 Remington or .280 AI.

I do like the .280. Don't know that it is better than the 7mm-08, the 7X57 or .270, but it is far better than sales would indicate. If confined to but one cartridge, I would not feel terribly inconvenienced if this were the cartridge.

My first thought is what defines medium? Secondly most of the cartridges mentioned were either the 06 or an 06 derivative. So the 06 should win hands down. I just can't make an argument for anything other than the 06, unless you class the 300 WM as a medium, then it beats all others easily. I am sure that everyone agrees???? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

truck driver":27eea8pe said:
Hmmm! best all around medium power cartridge. I think you just described the 30-06. (y)
TD nailed it.......... sorry guys, but the 30-06 can do it all as much as I like the 280 or an 280AI.

Since I successfully harvested all those critters, my old 7mm-06 (which might as well be a .280 Rem) would say go with the .280 :)

...certainly no flies on any of them, but I'd have to go w/ the .280 & step up to a 160gr. NP, especially w/ moose & elk in the mix. Shows up @ 400yds. w/ less drift, 10% more retained energy, & a better SD (beats the pants off a 150gr. '06, too)... :mrgreen:

...if I was looking for less recoil, I'd probably drop down to the 6.5 Creedmoor...

I would comfortably use any of the above mentioned cartridges for everything mentioned. There is no bad choice in the group!

I have and like my .270win, .280 Rem. and .308win. However the 30.06 is my choice. Always has been my first and favorite .Lee

come on gents, everyone knows that the king of this class of cartridge is the 7mm rem mag. None of those mentioned come close to the old remmy with a 175 gr Partition for elk and moose and for deer and antelope the 140 is a lazer beam. If you insist on a one size fits all the 160 AccuBond or Partition. But, if you wish to exclude a magnum from this list I would opt for the .270 win with a 150 Partition.

To ask this question means snow is packed up higher than the windows. :)

Being that I just ordered a 30-06 you would think that would be my choice but I don't consider the .30 caliber to be a medium caliber I'll have to opt for the .338 as my medium bore. That said, the .30 caliber does a fair to middling job on medium sized game. Which medium cartridge?
I'll not touch that question with even DrMike's verbiage pole. ;)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's funny. There are a couple of dozen cartridges that probably fit in the same general class.

And in the field, I've failed to notice any real difference among them.

My favorites are of course the .25-06, .308 & .30-06, but I could be equally happy with most of the others in the same general class.

Regards, Guy

Does a 7x57 pack enough power at 400yds for a bull elk? I looked at a beautiful Ruger #1 in 7x57 at a gun show earlier today. Really beautiful wood and compact rifle..

Just afraid it would not reach out to a 400yd elk with authority.

Rol_P":3so2z7vh said:
Does a 7x57 pack enough power at 400yds for a bull elk? I looked at a beautiful Ruger #1 in 7x57 at a gun show earlier today. Really beautiful wood and compact rifle..

Just afraid it would not reach out to a 400yd elk with authority.
I would say, yes....

160 AccuBond

Back