Build a rifle or buy Rem Sendero ?

270fan

Beginner
Dec 25, 2006
I have narrowed it down to a 26 caliber of some form. Do I get a 260 Rem caliber built or buy a Remington Sendero in 264 Mag?

If I get one built .... what action would you recommend for consideration? Who would you suggest getting to build it? A good friend of mine who sells guns will get the Sendero for me at his cost.

I hunt white tail deer (40%), shoot targets at the range (40%), hunt crows & coyotes (8%) and shoot turtles off the stumps in the ponds on the farm out in the country (12%). I already have a BAR & a Win. model 70 both in 270 caliber. The 26 caliber will also be used some with the 3 grand sons that are just getting old enough to hunt. Also getting a 243 for the grand kids as well.

I have been tossing this idea around for several months now. I have gotten some excellent feed back from members of this board and I say thanks for that. Making this decision is a good problem to have. Thanks for any and all opinions and input.

270fan,

For what you are doing, a 264 Win Mag isn't necessary. The 260 Rem will be more than enough. Why don't you treat yourself with a custom build.

700 action, blueprinted
Hart flutted #5 contour barrel 24"
HS Precission PSV29B Varmit stock
Leupold VXIII 4.5x14

Load it with the 130 gr AB and you will have yourself one sweet rifle!

Go to www.longrangehunting.com and look up Fiftydriver (Kirby Allen) or Shawn Carlock. These guys know how to build tackdrivers!

JD338

I agree. For whitetail, varmints and target shooting, why bother with a big belted magnum? The .260 does a fine job as a target round, a varmint round and a medium game round. One of the better all-around (and under-appreciated) cartridges available.

The .260 is a real nice shooting cartridge without all the blast of the .264 Win mag. If you really need a magnum for lots of velocity, that's different. Otherwise the .260 is the way to go.

I liken it to my .30 cals... Yes, I have a .300 Ultra mag. I've had a .300 mag of one kind or another for nearly 25 years. My .308 Winchester gets shot more in one year than all of the different .300 magnums I had over those 20+ years... Your proposed .260 is just the .308 case necked down to .26 caliber, and has some nice advantages over my .308 Winchester. If a guy doesn't need the velocity of the magnum... Why bother with the recoil, muzzle blast, short barrel life etc...???

Regards, Guy

By the way... A Sendero is a good rifle. Had one for several years in 7mm Rem mag (not too different from the .264 Win mag). It was a good gun.

Far, far better is the custom .308 I shoot...

405921.jpg

Started with a Rem 700, and had it built the way I wanted it. The result is a rifle that I'm extremely comfortable with, and that I would take over a Sendero, or other production rifle anytime.

Trued Rem 700 short action
Krieger 1:12 twist, 24" stainless barrel
Rem trigger set at 3#
McMillan M40A1-3 stock, with the LOP at 14.5" for me
(hard to describe how nice it is having a stock that really fits)
Badger Ord scope base and rings
Turner "tactical" leather sling

It's worn several different scopes over time. Pictured is a 4.5-14x Leupold. Nice all-around scope.

The rifle is fairly unique, deadly accurate, produces very good velocity and minimal bore-fouling. It's also a real treat to carry and shoot, because it's what I wanted... Factory rifles are nice and I have several. None of mine are as satisfying as this mild custom.

Regards, Guy

I want the rifle to weight about 8 to 8.5 pounds. The only factory rifle in the 26 caliber family I found that appealed to me was the Sendero and I could get it for dealer cost ....... an attractive price. Of the Sendero calibers the 264 is the mildest of the calibers that would be suitable for hunting. That was the reson for selecting it.

The other choice is having one built. The cost is the only part of this alternatitive that I dislike.

Guy, what does your 308 weight?

Thanks for the info. I have decided it will have to be a 260. Too many reasonable reasons for the 260 not to go with it.

If cost is a problem, buy the Sendero, then ship it to Bobby Hart to accurize it and have his custom hand-lapped one piece rings/bases installed for $400 more. Way less than the custom route, I have two of those, but should will be happy with the results.

448963.jpg

This is Remington's "VSF" - avail in .308 Winchester. Big difference between it and a Sendero is that the VSF is built on Remington's short action, perfect for the .260 cartridge. You could get one in .308 and shoot it until the barrel wore out then simply swap over to a .260 barrel, or you could just yank the factory barrel right away and install a nice .260 from Hart, Krieger or whatever maker you prefer.

Doggone shame that Remington doesn't build these in .260 and 7mm-08 at the factory...

My green rifle is a little heavy for what you have in mind, but could be lightened up a bit by using aluminum rings & base and going to a fluted barrel. Don't know what mine weighs for sure, but I'd guess 9.5 pounds or so, maybe 10. Weight wasn't a huge concern for me on that particular rifle.

Regards, Guy

What about a 6.5-284 Norma. I have been trying to decide if I should build that or a 9.3x62. Either way I will load it with AccuBonds!

Nosler3, I already have a BAR & a Win model 70 both in 270. I have no need for anything larger than this so I am interested in going with a smaller caliber. The 260 will fill this bill nicely. The only remaining question is the most reasonalbe way to get a good rifle in 260. Cost is a concern but isn't the main consideration.

Guy,

I hear ya, I about fell off my chair the other night when I saw Remington didn't offer the .260 in basically anything other than the model 7.
I have a Model 700 in 7-08 varmit barrel that is one of the most accurate rounds I have. Also have the .260 in a model 7 for my wife. Not sure what is hapening with the .260, but it's certianly under appreciated. I'm having one built as we speak on a 700 Action heavy barrel. Can't wait.

Back