Change of plans... Maybe?

nhenry

Handloader
Feb 7, 2022
My rifle's at the smith getting its new barrel put on, but I'm almost changing my mind on the cartridge I want. The smith has it down as a 280AI again, but I think having a 24" 280 Rem would be neat. I could have it engraved "7mm Express" as well.

I know that the 280AI has "mo' powah baby," but I also like how smoothly the Rem feeds, its lighter recoiling nature, and using slightly less powder.

I pretty much only hunt medium game, so I know the 280AI isn't necessarily needed, but I also love it.

This is my crippling indecision speaking. What says the peanut gallery?

For the record, my load for either will be a 130 class Hammer of some sort going fast.

I do enjoy the 280 Rem. I've owned three, and they accounted for whitetail, mule deer, elk and moose. My longest shot was a hair over three hundred yards, and the whitetail tagged with that 139 grain Hornady InterLock dropped quite smartly when the bullet struck. My current inventory includes two rifles chambered in 280. I'm not dissing the 280 AI, but I confess to a love affair with the 280.

Come on buddy, not again!
I have a Rem 280 and love it, but I keep thinking I should make it an AI. You have AI brass and dies, in today's market that should make the decision easier. The good part is you can't make a bad decision.

Last edited:
Darn computer burped. Haad a post ready to go and it dumped the whole thing. When I had my .280 built is was because I'd bought a barreled action and a stock blank from a fellow at a gun show. later had my gunsmith put it all together for me only he didn't do it due to health problems. I farmed it out to another smith who did a fantastic job.
I tried the 150 gr. Nosler AccuBond long range but the gun didn't like that bullet. Come to think of it nothing I own in 7MM will shoot that bullet worth spit. I went to the Speer 160 gr. Grand Slam (older two core version) and hit the jackpot. Sub MOA and great velocity. (2906 FPS and .50" to .80" three to 5 shot groups.) I haven't tried the never version of the Grand Slams yet. No idea on how they will shoot in that rifle. The powder used was the long gone Winchester WMR. I did get the same general velocity with IMR7828SSC but accuracy wasn't all that great. Remington did ask SAAMI to keep pressures on the low side for the .280 to keep their pump and semiautos happy.
Paul B.

I do enjoy the 280 Rem. I've owned three, and they accounted for whitetail, mule deer, elk and moose. My longest shot was a hair over three hundred yards, and the whitetail tagged with that 139 grain Hornady InterLock dropped quite smartly when the bullet struck. My current inventory includes two rifles chambered in 280. I'm not dissing the 280 AI, but I confess to a love affair with the 280.
I said it recently, but there’s something sexy to me about a 24” 280 Rem as well. Don’t know why

golly, hard choice. I have and love both. I’d say just go with the Improved. You can have a little bump in oomph or back down and shoot Regular 280 Rem through it should you want to. With the Ackley you basically get both.
In reality I’ll probably just take this advice because it’ll be too late before I decide LOL

I've been known to "cheat" a bit on some reloading projects, most notably when working with the 7x57 which we all know is notoriously underloaded but the factories. Simply put, I use 7-08 data when working with modern rifles and personally think those older Mausers may not be as weak as claimed.

As Remington requested SAAMI keep pressure on the lower side for the .280 (54 to 56 KPSI) looked at the .270 Win. which is around 58 to 60 KPSI, depending on whose data you look at. In fact, I would like to see data in the 60 to 65KPSI and that would make the .280 a horse of a very different color. I think my load that does 2906 FPS with a 160 gr. Grand Slam is probably right around 60 KPSI with long brass life and primers just barely flattened. Brass used is Winchester nickel plated .280 Rem. that I picked up a bunch of at a gun show. my rifle has a 24" barrel as well.
Paul B.

I've been known to "cheat" a bit on some reloading projects, most notably when working with the 7x57 which we all know is notoriously underloaded but the factories. Simply put, I use 7-08 data when working with modern rifles and personally think those older Mausers may not be as weak as claimed.

As Remington requested SAAMI keep pressure on the lower side for the .280 (54 to 56 KPSI) looked at the .270 Win. which is around 58 to 60 KPSI, depending on whose data you look at. In fact, I would like to see data in the 60 to 65KPSI and that would make the .280 a horse of a very different color. I think my load that does 2906 FPS with a 160 gr. Grand Slam is probably right around 60 KPSI with long brass life and primers just barely flattened. Brass used is Winchester nickel plated .280 Rem. that I picked up a bunch of at a gun show. my rifle has a 24" barrel as well.
Paul B.
From what I understand, they re-released the 280 Rem with higher pressures after a bit because they knew their mistake. It’s now at 60k PSI, still under the 270’s 65k PSI rating. The AI is rated at 65k PSI as well, which also gives it a longer leg up on the Rem in terms of performance.

That being said, your load seems to be trucking along quite nicely.

I loved the 280 Remington I had and I love the 280AI I had built. If I had to go with just one it would be the 280AI. After all I shot my grizzly bear with it which was a once in a lifetime hunt for an amazing animal. But then I also shot my largest bull elk with my 280 Remington. Dang what's a guy to do?

I loved the 280 Remington I had and I love the 280AI I had built. If I had to go with just one it would be the 280AI. After all I shot my grizzly bear with it which was a once in a lifetime hunt for an amazing animal. But then I also shot my largest bull elk with my 280 Remington. Dang what's a guy to do?
That’s exactly the crossroads I’m at

You can shoot a 280 Remington in a 280AI but you can't shoot a 280AI in a 280 Remington.

JD338
True that. Have you tested what kind of velocity loss you get when doing so?

Back