ER Shaw Mark VI rifles

barthowes

Beginner
Feb 20, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has bought one of the new ER shaw rifles with the savage actions. I am looking for one in 35 whelen and was wondering 1) if it was a good rifle 2) how much they even sell for. Unfortunately you have to submit a form to them to find the price and I didn't want to do that unless I was definetelly gonna get it. Any info would be great.

I inquired about a ER Shaw a couple of months ago. 7mm STW spiral fluted laminated .... I deleted the email but I think somewhere around $1250 - $1300 and 14 months out for delivery.

I urge you to go ahead and submit the form and get a quote. I was considering a sporter weight version in 6mm Rem with a 24-inch tube and a nice walnut stock and they quoted me something like $750 or thereabouts which I thought was reasonable for what I would have been getting. The lead time was something like one year though so I put it on the back burner, then lo and behold---a 6mm-284 fell in my lap just a few days later. :mrgreen: I haven't been nagged about it and I don't see any downside to at least letting them quote you a price. I'll bet a dollar to a donut they'll shoot *lights out* too!

At those prices you could get a Savage rifle and get it rebarreled and not wait nearly so long. I thought about the same thing for a LH 35 Whelen last year but even though there are legal ways for a Canadian to buy from them they turned me down flat :( I would still get a quote from them like was all ready mentioned and see if it would be worthwhile for you.

Heck, you saying you want a 35 Whelen would make it worthwhile getting a quote! Jeeze, why didn't you say so! :twisted:

They do look pretty sharp and if you aren't in a hurry, they would be a nice option.

Like Gerry said though, you could likely put your dream Whelen together in less time and maybe less money, but sometimes it is nice getting exactly what you want...

You want the WHELEN!

I sent an email to them, just on a whim to see what they run. Here is what they wrote me back, within 8 hours of submitting..

Good morning
Thanks for asking about the ER Shaw Mark VII rifle. Based on the spec.'s you have listed in your request for the quote the cost of this rifle would be $1000.00 plus $35.00 for ups to your FFL dealer upon completion, this is for a right hand model. This is only a quote, no order has been placed, the build page is not set up for placing an actual order. All Mark VII orders are billed for a 50% deposit up front and the balance is billed upon completion of the rifle. The Mark VII rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer in your home town upon completion of the work. The turnaround time to complete a Mark VII build is in the 14 to 16 month area.
I am in the office from 7:00am until 4:00pm M thru F eastern std time and can be reached at 412-221-3636. You can also reach me via e-mail at chris@ershawbarrels.com most days and request I give you a call when you would be available to discuss the build options, if you have any questions, and to place the order over the phone with a credit card. You also can mail the order in with a check or money order for the deposit. This quote is good for 30 days from today.
Thanks for asking
Chris Murray

SavageWhelen.jpg

From: info@ershawbarrels.com [mailto:info@ershawbarrels.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:13 AM
To: Chris Murray
Subject: Mk. VII Online Gun Builder Order

Mk. VII Online Gun Builder Submission

Date of Submission: 05/22/12
Contact Information

Ordering Instructions:

Mk. VII Information

Caliber: .35-Whelen ACK

Receiver: Stainless Steel - Matte - Right Handed

Barrel: Stainless Steel - Straight Fluting - Matte

Barrel Options: - 24" Length - Sporter

Stock: Laminate Wood Stock - Pepper

I would think you could easily get a Rem/Win/Ruger/Vanguard action and build out your rifle of choice for $1k with a black/grey laminate stock. I'm not sure I'd deem an ER Shaw barrel in the same class as the Douglas/Hart/Pac-Nor/Shilen/etc. you could get with a true custom build, either. I've never shot them, but I've been told by folks who bought some of their Savage barrels for swapping out that they are good but not great. I guess it's entirely up to you as to what you want, and value is subjective, but I'd opt for a cheap donor action and choose all my own aftermarket parts, personally.

I have a Mark VII on order since last October. Mine will be chambered in .338-06 A-Square.

Specs are:

338/06 chamber

1 in 10 twist rate

#3 contour barrel 23” length 416 stainless steel

Straight fluting on barrel

Bead blast matte finish overall

Muzzle break installed on barrel in additional to the 23” bbl length

Stock, pepper laminate wood

Free floated barrel

Glass bedded action in breech/recoil lug/receiver front area

Price for the build was $ 1155 Delivered to my FLL.

Originally I was going to use a donor R700 rifle chambered in .30-06 that I hardly ever use anymore. But, when I priced everything out the savings were close to around $300. At that point I said What a heck I can always welcome a new rifle so I went for it. Anyway, I think I have another use for that R700 (I feel a .280AI in the near future) It may not be as good as a Douglas/Hart/Pac-Nor/Shilen/etc. But, every I've heard about them had been good.

35R, that sounds like a great rifle you're having built. I'm certain it will become a favourite. My hunting partner has a 338-06 that he just loves. I do know that it puts down game quickly.

35R":m5g7rlq7 said:
I have a Mark VII on order since last October. Mine will be chambered in .338-06 A-Square.

I wonder if they mark the chambering as ".338-06" or ".338-06 A-Square"? If it's the latter, I'd personally pass and get it done by a gunsmith. I know that's a goofy thing to worry about, but I've read enough bad about that guy that I don't want his company name on my gun.

I wonder if they mark the chambering as ".338-06" or ".338-06 A-Square"? If it's the latter, I'd personally pass and get it done by a gunsmith.

Wow! That's harsh, Kurt.

DrMike":16k4ui4m said:
35R, that sounds like a great rifle you're having built. I'm certain it will become a favourite. My hunting partner has a 338-06 that he just loves. I do know that it puts down game quickly.

Thanks DrMike,

I was trying to keep it out of my mind until delivery time but all this talk about the Mark VII brought it back. Now, I'm having another anxiety attack :cry: My guess is I'll get it hopefully at the end of this year at best. I've already stocked up on a couple of hundred 200gr Accubonds and 100 pcs of Nosler Brass from SPS for load development :lol:

BK

I don't know how the barrel is stamped, my guess is plain .338-06

35R

Man, that 338-06 would be a cool one. I am a pretty big fan of the Whelen and the 338-06 is all of that. I know the wait must kill you, but I am sure it'll be worth it.

Yeah, the wait is really killing me. I am sure at the end it'll be worth it. :mrgreen:

I got good news today on my other project. Pac-Nor still on tract to finish my .260Rem barreled action. It'll be ready for bead blasting the first week of June. I have everything else at home just waiting to put it all together. :lol:

35R

...I'd call the Savage "Build Your Own" hotline & price out the same rifle & what their delivery time would be...

wildgene":10cj6cx1 said:
...I'd call the Savage "Build Your Own" hotline & price out the same rifle & what their delivery time would be...

Man, I knew there was a reason we keep you around! :lol:

You are on it today!

So I contacted them and this is what they said
Good morning
Thanks for asking about the ER Shaw Mark VII rifle. Based on the spec.'s you have listed in your request for the quote the cost of this rifle would be $850.00 plus $35.00 for ups to your FFL dealer upon completion, this is for a right hand model. This is only a quote, no order has been placed, the build page is not set up for placing an actual order. All Mark VII orders are billed for a 50% deposit up front and the balance is billed upon completion of the rifle. The Mark VII rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer in your home town upon completion of the work. The turnaround time to complete a Mark VII build is in the 14 to 16 month area.

Mk. VII Information
Caliber: .35-Whelen
Receiver: Stainless Steel - Matte - Right Handed
Barrel: Stainless Steel - No Fluting - Matte
Barrel Options: - 24" Length - Sporter
Stock: Synthetic Stock
I know I read an article saying they were around $675. That must have been for smaller calibers with short barrels. All in all it's not outragous, but I'll keep shopping around. I wish savage just made their weatherwarrior in 35 whelen. That would make my life simple.

DrMike":2xzdgppv said:
I wonder if they mark the chambering as ".338-06" or ".338-06 A-Square"? If it's the latter, I'd personally pass and get it done by a gunsmith.

Wow! That's harsh, Kurt.

Yeah, sorry guys. I didn't mean to be a Donny Downer. A 338-06 is probably what I'm going to have my SS .270 turned into.

BK":1zgp0ekq said:
DrMike":1zgp0ekq said:

Wow! That's harsh, Kurt.

Yeah, sorry guys. I didn't mean to be a Donny Downer. A 338-06 is probably what I'm going to have my SS .270 turned into.

Go with the Ackley Kurt.

Back