Gun boot blues...

A

Anonymous

I've been hunting my butt off the last couple of weeks...

I tagged an early moose out of the gate and couldn't be happier.

My partner and I pushed back deep in the AK range to find some good caribou bulls. The approach involved a 10 mile wheeler trek down a rocky, bumpy trail. Several places the trail passed over scree and avalanche breakdown- a mile long boulder field. The rifle was in the gun boot and was just thrashing all over the place.

At the end of the wheeler trek, we hiked back farther- 3 miles on foot until we found a bachelor herd. We closed the distance and my partner zapped a nice bull and I lined up on what would easily be the best bull I'd shot to date. 350 yds from prone and I fired...twice....with no effect.

I had no idea where the bullet went so I just quit and watched the bull trot off unharmed and out of sight.

When I got back to camp that night, I trekked off to a local gravel pit and check my zero. At 100 yds, the rifle was shooting 4" left and nearly 5" high. At 350, I never got close to hitting that bull- he might have heard the wind from it- but that's about it. I tightened everything up (nothing was loose) and re-zeroed the rifle for my usual 250yd which gives me roughly a 350 MPBR and to about 425 if I hold on the backline.

I think I'm going to retire the gun boot. They are pretty convenient to haul a rifle in...but on the rough stuff don't protect well enough to trust holding zero. I'd have been better off with the rifle strapped to the rack across my backpack.

Thanks for the info,

I've always wondered how those thing protect the scope! Sorry about the miss though. That has got to bite pretty hard.

chs

Congrats on your moose, but sorry about the caribou. My buddy has a two gun rack that mounts to the front ATV rack. It holds guns and tools securely, although we've never traveled more than a mile or so off road. I'd try that type of rack with the gun inside a good weather proof soft case. Not real good for quick access but it should protect the gun. Alternatively, maybe put the gun in a hard case and strap it down, or as you suggested just lash it to your pack. Good luck with the rest of your hunting season. BN

Some of our hunts lead us 100 km or more into the interior and away from civilization. Some sort of gun boot or acceptable means of transporting firearms is absolutely necessary. Never had a problem with a gun boot, but I see how it could happen.

We have been using gun boots on our hunts for a number of years and never had that problem. But there again our terrain is not near as nasty as where you have to roam. I know that there is some movement in mine so I can surely see how your problem occurred.
I am sure glad you were able to fill at least part of your freezer with a bull Moose.
Hopefully you can get another crack at a Caribou and we can get a few photos posted :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Hodge,

Sorry about your gun boot problems.
I've always been leery of them for the exact thing you describe.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I travel with a gun boot, I wrap a handtowel around the action/scope to insure a tight fit. Never had an issue. If you could find some closed cell foam rubber, even better. At least you didn't have to run down a wounded caribou, trying to finish it off without knowing where your bullets hit!

Back