H 4350 vs IMR 4350

Al in SC

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
My 8 pound can of IMR 4350 is about empty. I need to replace it.
Since Hodgen owns both is their any difference between the two.
I have never used H 4350 but considering getting it. Appreciate any
and all input from those who have used the two.

My first loads for my 30-06 were with IMR 4350, but I was concerned, probably unnecessarily, about
instability with temperature changes. I switched to H4350 and found it okay, but could not find more when I needed it. Next I went to IMR4451, one of the new Enduron powders and find it very good and generally available. I suspect that Hogdon is pushing the new powders, thus why I have not been able to find H4350. Good luck, Rol

Very close to the same in my experience. If you are looking to change IMR4451 has been awesome for me. Very clean burning and seems to be exactly the same as most lots of H4350.

I wouldn't worry about temperature instability with IMR 4350. I live in the deep south where it's sometimes pushing 100 degrees during load development or shooting sessions. It has been my goto powder for over 30 years. With no signs of temp. instability. I can't say the same about some other powders though as I've had some problems, but never with IMR 4350.
I've taken these same loads to New Mexico and Colorado for hunting elk during the late season with snow and below zero temps. and they performed perfectly.
I have read about temp. instability but I think it's a myth spread by people who just don't like IMR 4350.

I'd say both H & IMR4350 are temp. stable, but then, the coldest I shoot in is -8C and the warmest around 26C
IMR4350 gives more MV than H4350 in similar loadings for my .25-06

Natchez shooting supply currently has IMR -4350 in stock. Check your manual, I believe it's a little faster than Hodgons

I agree. H4350 is as close to IMR4381 as it is IMR4350, depending on lots. Definitely not interchangeable.

Thanks for all the feed back. This site is a great source of info.
Really appreciate the replys. Al

I get a kick out of the local GS guys who have minimal powder knowledge. I was looking for IMR 4895 for a specific reason - guys said "we don't carry it because it isn't temperature stable" - yeah, right. Where it's 20 degrees out while we're speaking and rarely gets over 90 F in the summer. Wonder why they ever made the stuff!! Oh, yeah, it was originally made for the military and to their specs. How did we win WWII with powder that wasn't temp stable???
EE2

elkeater2":36e8eyzh said:
I get a kick out of the local GS guys who have minimal powder knowledge. I was looking for IMR 4895 for a specific reason - guys said "we don't carry it because it isn't temperature stable" - yeah, right. Where it's 20 degrees out while we're speaking and rarely gets over 90 F in the summer. Wonder why they ever made the stuff!! Oh, yeah, it was originally made for the military and to their specs. How did we win WWII with powder that wasn't temp stable???
EE2

Same here, a local store that I called if they had some H4831SC, and they said they had about 8 one pounders. So I asked " Are they all the same lot?" So he quickly blurted out " It don't matter if its the same lot or not! " I told him that it does matter and that different powder lots have a little variance in burning rate, he was rude and says that he has 25 years experience working in the store. LMAO, I replied " As a stockboy, perhaps". :lol: There are some that has knowledge and some wannabe who pretends to.

It is true that often those working the Gun Stores are refugees from Baskin-Robbins with a minimum of knowledge concerning the shooting sports. I still remember the clerk telling a customer in my hearing that the 270WSM he was considering would shoot 270 Win ammunition just fine! BlkRam was standing there as well and subtly (yeah, subtly) suggested that the customer should think twice before taking that particular advice.

Have never tried IMR 4350, but I've used a bunch of H4350 with great results. Been trying out RL 17 now and heard a lot about it not having good temp stability. So far I've noticed no difference in point of impact between 95, 60, and 30 degrees. Which these were all at 100 yards, but since 99% of my deer kills are under 100 yards I don't worry about it. I've always heard great things about IMR 4350 I need to pick some up, seems like it is always on the shelf and H4350 is always empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have never tried IMR 4350, but I've used a bunch of H4350 with great results. Been trying out RL 17 now and heard a lot about it not having good temp stability. So far I've noticed no difference in point of impact between 95, 60, and 30 degrees. Which these were all at 100 yards, but since 99% of my deer kills are under 100 yards I don't worry about it. I've always heard great things about IMR 4350 I need to pick some up, seems like it is always on the shelf and H4350 is always empty.

I was one of those that fell to the myth of temp instability but didn't have a problem in southern Aridzona or cold, to me, Wyoming.

I'm dying to try IMP 4451 and have an 8# container waiting to be opened.

Vince

I was one of those that fell to the myth of temp instability but didn't have a problem in southern Aridzona or cold, to me, Wyoming.

I'm dying to try IMP 4451 and have an 8# container waiting to be opened.

Vince

For many years, back in the 70's and early 80's, the shelves were not always filled with IMR 4350. About all we could get back then were the standard IMR powders and some Winchester ball powders. The most popular ones 4320, 3031 and 4350 would go pretty fast sometimes. A supply and demand kind of thing.
Nowadays there are a plethora of powders on the market with the RL's being really favored today. A result is many have never tried IMR 4350 so it doesn't sell as fast as it once did. Personally I am one of the older, greybeard crowd and I am so satisfied with IMR4350 that I don't feel a need to try something else. Most of my experimenting days are in the past.

I love H4350, but its hard to find right now, at least around here and the sites I visit. I like it in several cartridges, but also the IMR powders. I haven't tried the newer Enduron powders, and so far, the "only" two powders that gave a me grief was R22 and R19...but both were my fault. I had R19/185 XLC in a very compressed load in a 338 Winmag ( that XLC was so slick I almost couldn't get any real speed with it in the 338) that was worked up around 70deg and when I tried it in 10 deg it had lost almost 200fps and groups became erratic. when I pulled the bullets, the powder was one solid 'cake". I went to h4350 and never looked back. I admit, it spooked me for R19 but it worked swell in two 240 Weatherbys I had, indeed is my favorite in that round. The R22 was a 61gr/150 NBT load in a 280 Ackley that was worked up around 75 deg here, used here and in Wyoming during a deer/antelope combo hunt with great results. I went to Texas in a February exotics hunt, it hard warmed up to about 90deg or so. I shot a Corsican ram and the bolt was super hard to open. Primer was way flat, bright ejector mark on the case. No biggy.
I always try to work up loads in the summer time and then check them later on in the winter or vice versus if I worked up one in the winter. I see that more as my fault than any stability issues with powder. I know better because I was in Fire Direction Center, Artillery in the Army back in the early 70's ( when we did it all by hand, no calculators or computers, just big sliderules and books) and I knew that every little thing should be "figured in" especially powder temperature, etc. I am never w/o IMR 4350, 4831, 4064 and 4895. I used to use a lot of IMR 4198 in a 45-70 20 yrs ago. I like H322 better, just because I used it in my old 35 WAI too.

Back