If you had to have one rifle

What an awfull thought!!!

One rifle? Oh my!

God forbid it should come to that but if it did, I would keep my Remington 700 Classic chambered in 300 Weatherby Mag and fitted with a Leupold 3.5X10.

Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag, but only if I could have just one!!!!

Blaine

PS Can I keep my Encore and the 243,308 and 7mm-08 barrels? :cry: PLEASE

I am not too sure of caliber, but I'd want it to be a Sako with an AV action, maybe in .308 Win, .30-'06 or something like that just as long as it's a Sako rifle!

Now if I could custom make a rifle with an authentic Mauser action...um..., maybe spend 5K...well now, that's a whole different concept.

Take care,

Tom

UsSoldier,

M700 LSS in 338 RUM.
200 gr AB for varmints up to deer.
225 gr PT for the bigger stuff.

Don't tell my wife, she thinks I need my safe full of guns.

Regards,

JD338

Tom1911 said:
I am not too sure of caliber, but I'd want it to be a Sako with an AV action, maybe in .308 Win, .30-'06 or something like that just as long as it's a Sako rifle!

Hey Tom, we can definitely agree on the Sako :lol: Although my Sako rifles have been Hunter and 75 Hunters.

Long

longwinters,

Truth be told, it is a matter of preference. In fact, I'd bet the newer Sakos are built to higher standards. And I am sure it is every bit as or more accurate than its predecessors.

My Sako Classic will shoot well under MOA all day long.

Anything Sako is quality. In fact, I might just break down and buy a 75 Hunter in .243 Win.

When I first started hunting, Remington held the standard for big game rifles, but that was well after 1964 Winchester went overseas. Now most manufacturers produce rifles that'll shoot as well or better than Remington. From what I understand, a modestly priced Savage is a damn good deal.

Take care,

Tom

"The .257 Roberts is perhaps the most useful cartridge for hunting in North America". Townsend Whelen.

My Remington 700 Classic .257 Roberts.

If I had to pick 1 caliber it would probly be a 25-06 for all around use. I have several reasons to back this claim up, except for elk. However I will get to that later. I have killed pdogs, coyotes, deer, and black bears out to 500 yards with this caliber and the 115g BTIP. Actually I have killed coyotes and deer out to 600 yards. I have also shot 3 bears with this caliber at 375, 440, and 450 yards. Each bear took 2 shots each, but they were rollin down the canyon after the 2nd shot hit them. My coyotes and deer have droped on the spot when the bullets put in the shoulders out to 600 yards. Which is 300 yards farther then the "experts" say a 25-06 should be shooting at deer. The caliber is very accurate, I have a group in front of me right now that is .080" CTC for 3 shots at 100 yards with a Winchester Sporter, factory barrel! Many groups hover around .25" at 100 yards with many bullets. You will get around 3000 rounds of barrel life, so you can shoot the rifle a lot and become proficient with it. I shot my first 25-06 3000 rounds in 2.5 years. My new 25-06 is the Winchester, and I love it. I plan to use it this year spike elk hunting and prove my theory that the 25-06 is the one gun that the govt would have to pry from my cold dead hands. Since I have shot 2 bears over 400 yards, I fully believe the "little" 06 will take cow elk or a spike elk cleanly out to 400 yards. It may be a little much for squirrels, but its just right for antelope and deer, and will still get the job done on bears, which should get the job done on elk. What more can one ask from a caliber?

Bruce,

Bruce Mc":2peg2vuy said:
"The .257 Roberts is perhaps the most useful cartridge for hunting in North America". Townsend Whelen.

My Remington 700 Classic .257 Roberts.

I agree!

Why doesn't anyone chamber a rifle for this cartridge? I'd buy it in a New York minute!

Take care,

Tom

Tom1911 wrote: "I agree!
Why doesn't anyone chamber a rifle for this cartridge? I'd buy it in a New York minute!"

In it's heyday, the .257Roberts was unable to carve out a big enough niche/following. Like the 6mmRemington, embraced by bench rest shooters, but upstaged by the .243Win., the .257Roberts just had too much competition in a time before the average rifleman had a dozen rifles in his battery. Heck, many varmint shooters swear by the .220Swift and that cartridge was darned near dead, before it's more recent revival. Too many great cartridges, not enough space in the gun safe and manufacturers eyeing the bottom line.......all go toward killing off very fine cartridges while some mediocre cartridges just keep going and going and going. I would not be surprised to see the .264WinMag "discovered" by some gun rag journalist and given a new lease on life. The 6.5mm bullet now enjoys a wide following and the .264WinMag is the 6.5 bullet on steriods! Failing wide acceptance because of a rep of being a barrel burner, the .264WinMag could probably make it today, if re-intro'd with enough hype! IMO the .257Roberts would have tough going, making a comeback as a very popular cartridge when going against the 25-06 and the 260Rem., not to mention the late penchant for short cases and super short cases.

roy,

Don't you think there is a niche of informed hunters who could support a run of .257 Roberts rifles?

I would say that the Roberts is more than suitable for 90% of the hunting in the USA. I would use it on big mule deer and cow elk. Its benefit is lightweight rifles with minimal recoil and great accuracy.

I want one and I want one now:!:

Take care,

Tom

Tom wrote: "Don't you think there is a niche of informed hunters who could support a run of .257 Roberts rifles? "

I don't know, Tom, but I doubt same. Didn't Remington make one of their one year only offerings in .257Roberts? What it would take, would be one of the gun writers with a huge following to tout that caliber for maybe six months, talking about how there are genuine bargains out there in used rifles chambered for .257Roberts and how that caliber is a world beater and the greatest caliber to ever be offered. After the six months of hoopla and creating interest, Remington could announce a "very limited run" of a bolt rifle in .257Roberts and give it some special pazzazz like a likeness of Elvis or Dale Earnhardt on the stock (Nawwwwwwwwwwww! That has already been done!) Anyway, the gunsports public seems to salivate over anything touted as new, or even newly re-discovered.
In the past, I have had rifles built on WWII or earlier Mauser actions. The .257Roberts would work well basing a custom rifle on an old Mauser action. Midway offers some great barrel/stock deals where a Mauser action will drop in and you only have to do a minimum of routing and cutting the channel for the bolt handle. The last one that I built was from a Turk Mauser, for which I paid $29. The barrel and stock was $125. I paid the 'smith $85 to put the barrel on my action and headspace same. I mounted the barreled action in my stock and routed the barrel channel to free float the barrel. The caliber was .243Win. I had a lot of fun shooting whistle pigs with that thing. I never went to the range that someone did not come up and ask what I had and could they get one.

There are several rifles available in .257 Roberts. You can get one from either Remington or Winchester custom shops. Ruger chambers the No1 in .257 Roberts. Remington also made a run of "Bobs" in the ADL synthetic a few years ago for one of their distributors and there are still some available "new".

I think the fact that Nosler is making ammo for the "Bob" shows that it still has a following of knowledgeable hunters and shooters. Heck I think Nosler ought to go ahead and chamber their rifle in .257 Roberts. I think they'd sell more than a few of em.

Bruce MC,

I have the same M700 classic in 257 Roberts. Real sweatheart.

Great all around gun for small to med size game.

Regards,

JD338

JD 338,

I can post back and forth about the .257 Roberts all day long. I've shot my 700 Classic so much I'm starting to worry about the barrel getting worn. Might be time to get another "Bob".

BruceMc wrote: "I've shot my 700 Classic so much I'm starting to worry about the barrel getting worn. Might be time to get another "Bob"."

Would you not consider re-barreling?

Back