lee factory crimp dies

NOPE! I have been using the lee crimp die for my 270 win for around 2-3 years. I love them. I also have one for my 308 winchester that is just amazing.

I've used them on various calibers for about 5 years. They work great!
My 307 WInchester required crimps in my model 94 and based on the accuracy I got they do help for consistant pressures. They got a lot of bad press from some of the bullet companies but based on my experience it was completely unfounded. I will continue to use them.
Greg

In my tests the Lee Factory Crimp Dies increased velocity an average of 10 fps and decreased groups size 1/8". This is one of the more dramatic tests of loaded-at-the-same-time/shot-at-the-same-time loads
NoCrimp.jpg

CrimpedOnly.jpg

That being said, the LFCD will lead to shorter and shorter cases as you trim or chamfer off the crimp on the case mouths. After about 5 or 6 loadings the LFCD will no longer work because the case gets too short.

I only crimp 44 Rem Mag and 45-70. Everything else, including 338 RUM doesn't get a crimp.

JD338

Only thing I ever used one on was a 300 Win Mag and it did make a Browning A-Bolt shoot much better.Groups went from 1 1/2 inches to about 3/4 with 180 Partitions.

Shot alot of deer with that rifle before I passed it on to my brother.

cold_hunter":2leo7ma3 said:
am i the only loader around the uses the factory crimp? i like it for several reasons let me know
I have used it for the following.

356 win 30-30, 45-70 444 marlin 458 win, 358 Lott and some others. Good stuff

I have one for my 30-30 but can't remember the last time I used it. I haven't crimp any of my rifle reloading since.

I have only used it for loads in my military rifles. M1 Garand, 96 Swedes, Mosin Nagants, 98 Mausers, 03A3 Springfield, and Lee Enfields and K-31's. All of these rifles have long throats except the K-31 but the use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die does increase the accuracy of the loads. I have not used it on any loads for my other rifles. They are all custom barreled rifles and I have loads for them all that you really can't improve on. I have never seen a rifle that will shoot a half a bullet hole size group :) .

I have to relate this story to you all. I shoot military rifle bench rest 100 yard for score matches. During some of the matches I heard some of the guys talking about the Lee Factory Crimp Die back when it first came out. They had never tried it but you know how people get things set in their mind and it has to be right. They all were stating that there is no way that you can squish a ring around a perfect match bullet and it not destroy it's accuracy the way a Lee Factory Crimp Die squishes the bullet. I did not say anything to the guys because I had found out that the use of the Lee Die was increasing my accuracy. I was beating these guys bad with about every rifle and class match. Now some of these guys were regular bench rest shooters and are accuracy nuts and can really handle a rifle. They could not understand how I was shooting such good scores. One day while shooting a match I noticed that some of the guys had been hanging around my bench more than usually. When I was not looking they were looking over my ammo and found that I was crimping my bullets with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Many of them started using the Lee Die and the matches started getting harder for me to win.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies on a variety of ammunition. I started using it on .356 ammunition, but have since used it on several standard and short magnum cartridges that I use for hunting. It is not necessary, but it does seem to improve accuracy.

I use them on multiple cartages. I feel it makes more consistant hunting ammo. Safer hunting ammo. More efficent hunting ammo. On some it helps with accuracy. I crimp my 300 win mag Etip loads along with all bullets with groove

thanks guys i have used them for a long time and been hearing bad stuff the whole time. i first started because i got a moly coating kit from midway and noticed my velocity drop some. being young and finding something new and improved i had coated every damn bullet i owned. well when i first used it in my 22-250 on hdy 53gr match bullets with the classic 38grs of H380 I was very impressed. i have one of the first savage 12FV's sold here in mandan nd. it cost 399 and shot 3/8" at 100yds. now i have the LFCD for 2506 and 222 and every load gets a crimp. even pressures and small groups, i cant go wrong. now i only coat pistol bullets jacketed and cast. the ones i cast NEVER LEAD THE BARREL and i gas check them and run them hard. 44 mag 240 lee swc at 1450, and what i call the hammer the lee 310gc fp at 1250. my redhawk loves em and H110 pushes em

hey 1shot no bs my old 2506 shoots good. the guys at sierra gave me 2 loads to try when i first started using 100gr matchkings. one was 50grs of H4350, the other was 52grs of IMR 4350. I had the IMR on hand and tried it, under half inch at 100yds with a tasco 4-16 set on 12 cause it wont focus any higher. and at that time i only cleaned with nitro solvent so like not at all. well years went on and i found sweets and got a B&L 4200 6-24 and a better scale and a real trimmer instead of the old lee system. that load shrunk down to .25 3 shots and .3 for 5. center to center mind you. then last year i put a trigger in the old savage and i had done some trading and got 5lbs of H4350. i carefully loaded that 50gr load and oh ya another new scope, that gun has had like 6 in 13 years, the new one is a VX-3 4.5-14 with the boone and crocket. anyway my best to date now is .134 3 shots center to center. now that might not be a half hole but its tight. and with the trigger now the gun, not scopes, has cost me just about 500 bucks. and its not for sale haha

I have never crimped anything besides straight wall pistol cases. However, I'm told that a crimp helps the accuracy out quite a bit on the 22 Hornet, so I bought a Lee factory crimp die and will use it once I start loading for this cartridge.

I was going to try to crimp some of my 30-06 hunting rounds. Had a question how do you setup your lee die to provide a consistant crimp from one loading session to the next since it doesn't have a set screw, etc. or does it matter if you do the exact same crimp from session to session as long as the crimp is consistant within your lot of bullets? I guess you could load it up with thread locker when you find the right adjustment???

Next I hear people say not to crimp bullets without a cannelure but my thinking is any damage done to the bullet provided it is a light crimp would be negated by its somewhat violent trip down the barrel, no?

Second am I right in thinking you need to back off the load a little and work back up to maximum since it will likely increase pressures? How much would you suggest?

YoteSmoker":1drqexcf said:
Unless it's a semi, don't do it. You will gain nothing.

i tried it once on my 30/06 rounds i was crimping to much with my RCBS die and havent done it again,, but i am wondering why factory rounds are crimped if theres no bennifit to it,, i also see in this thread its pretty much a half do and half dont kinda thing,,,,, while i dont see a 30/06 as haveing enough recoil to alter your setting depths unless your rounds are touching the mag. walls,, im still kinda courrious about crimping,,,,

Back