Look what I found...

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I walked into a local gun store and found this staring back at me. Prettiest wood I have ever seen on a factory rifle. Couldn't walk away, I see no evidence of a scope mounting or being fired. It is a classic supergrade in 25-06. I really was looking for a 300 WM or bigger but couldn't pass up this rifle. Having trouble deciding what to do with it, thinking of changing it to a 338-06.

photo_zps0e54aa2b.jpg

Holy cow...between this and the one I just posted, there's been some good finds on Supergrades lately!

VERY nice rifle!

No kidding! That's a beauty as well. WOW!

Not sure what to do with a .25-06? How 'bout anything up to and including elk? :grin: My very biased opinion coming through strong there...

Congrats on finding a real special rifle. A keeper for sure!

Guy

Absolutely breathtaking. I'd have to say those two rifles tie for Playmate of the Month!

MERCY....how'd that one slip out the factory door.....?! Like Guy said, just shoot it. Course I like the BIG .25 as well. CL

I'm about to go bonkers, what with all the handsome Super Grades suddenly appearing on this forum! Man, I'm working on getting my eyeballs to go back into their sockets! Real character in that rifle. Seriously handsome.

That's gorgeous too, very nice find. You might want to keep it as is, hard to imagine a better deer round and you can admire it while waiting for a nice Texas deer to show up :)

Gorgeous! Congratulations! I like the Idea of a .338-06 a lot! I'd rebarrel it to that chambering in a heartbeat! Again, congratulations!

Now that is really nice wood. If anything you will look good with it over your shoulder.
Russ

Wow! That is very beautiful! What a find. I'm not sure what I'd do with that rifle, but a 338-06 would surely be a great choice, or as Guy mentioned, load it up and see what the 25-06 is all about. Loris 25-06 runs 120 Swifts at 3140 or so and I bet an elk would have a hard time liking them!

Best part is I only paid $600 for it. I was never interested in a 25-06 and was looking for a stainless model 70 donor and to my amazement this was within my donor budget?? So now pretty conflicted whether I should find another donor and shoot as is, maybe it was meant to be??

I already have a classic in stainless 7 rem mag that i also got for $600 but it had tuperware and i am waiting on its new mcmillan to arrive next month and my brand new sako 85 in 6.5x55 that I haven't even shot yet. Just got the scope on it this week. I guess I also have and fn 270 stainless featherweight. An embarrassment of winchester riches I guess??

$600? Better get a lawyer, somebody's going to accuse you of stealing that fine rifle... Good Grief Man. That's an incredible deal for such a rifle.

Yeah - break the rules and shoot the donor. If you don't have a buddy who handloads the .25-06, then pick up a box or two of factory ammo. Good old Remington, Winchester or Federal all work well. In general the 100 - 120 gr bullets do fine on deer sized critters.

I think you may well fall hard for the light recoil & flat trajectory. The .25-06 is an easy cartridge to shoot well.

Guy

Oh man, what a beauty!
I would keep it as a 25-06 and never look back. ;)

JD338

ldg397":30nrguzd said:
Best part is I only paid $600 for it.

After reviving from my faint, I'm still weak all over. I'll give you $625! Don't even listen to Scotty when he makes his offer. He's lying.

I think Guy is correct in recommending that you consult a lawyer. That is a steal.

Back