muskox and Adak island

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
Earle when you when in Alaska did you get a chance to hunt Muskoxen or did you not get that far north ?

Don, Mike, Josh, do you ever hunt or fish Adak Island and if so--good, bad, same as other areas in Alaska ?

Adak is pretty country. Rugged. The only time I spent there was spent working so no first hand fishing reports but most of the Chain has good fishing around it.

There are some caribou put there by the Navy years ago that make for an interesting hunt. The bulls can get massive since they don't migrate.

It seemed to me that the really interesting hunting out there would be waterfowl. They get some stuff that's pretty unusual anywhere else.

I know some folks who worked on Adak, but no one who did much hunting there. Sorry.

Cheyenne,
I have hunted them. They used to give out a few subsistance permits in Kaktovik ( Barter Island)
And I flew up one year with a hunter to get one. Caused
a big ruckous . But we got 2 permits: The valley we had our Sheep camp in, had a small population of them wandering around. It was no problem to get them. This was late 1980s early 1990s . There was a good number of Polar Bears just east of Kaktovik. Used to fly down beach and see em all the time. Pretty wild country between there and
the Mackenzie River . Real good sheep country around Firth River........ Especially up Earl Ck !!!1438618.jpg

Neighbor of mine drew a musk ox tag probably 15 years ago. She hired a native guide which I think is the smart way to go. Not sure exactly where it was but not Adak for sure. She gave us some. Tough as Hell.

Thanks Earle, we have hunted them several times, but was curious if you had, thank you. Here they are hard to gt to but but easy to knock down. In Greenland they are much easier to get to. Yes, that is beautiful country, still no roads--love it ! Appreciate your response

Mike, Thank you for the pm, that is excellent advise. It will be interesting to se if they are correct. I think if they are it is because they dont migrate, like the ones in your unit 25 and here in The Yukon. But we will see

David, Guy, gbflyer. If we go it will be a work project, not for fishing or hunting. Gbflyer, we do eat them and use the hides as well. Muskox, Bison, Moose gives us more meat at the same cost as a Caribou--one bullet if I do my part correctly

Don, we are told the fishing and waterfowl hunting is superb and that the Caribou are much larger.

Am I the only one that finds waiting for a post to post on the forum frustrating, because it takes forever to happen ?

Back