ruger hawkeye african stock question?

Feb 18, 2011
I was going to order a nice piece of wood for my hawkeye african 375 from richards microfit. There action list mentions the 77, but not the hawkeye. Is it the same stock? Is there a difference?

I was going to do the same thing for my African, but I think I've decided to go McMillan. Not as fancy, but I won't be afraid to hunt with it in any weather, they are really tough, and I won't have to worry about it cracking out my nice piece of wood in the tang area again.

I completely understand why you want to go with a nice piece of wood. They are very attractive. One of these days I'm going to put a nice piece of wood on something. Be warned though, I have not heard one good thing about there customer service (SSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLOOOOW is what I have been told). Great reviews on their product, just not the service.

jmad_81":io7z2mht said:
I was going to do the same thing for my African, but I think I've decided to go McMillan. Not as fancy, but I won't be afraid to hunt with it in any weather, they are really tough, and I won't have to worry about it cracking out my nice piece of wood in the tang area again.

Jake pillar and glass bedding will prevent that from happening. All of my rifles have been at least glass bedded, and from now on they will also have pillars if they are wood stocks. I think it's worth it for strength and stability, and to give the action a perfectly level and tight fitting bed to snuggle up into! :p I even had my son's EW SS "skim bedded" as the smith called it to make sure the action is sitting in the stock perfectly.

ITH go ahead and get you a nice piece of wood if that's what you want, but get it bedded right off the bat. Good luck.
David

On a .375 I think I would want some sort of crossbolt (or a pair of them).

6mm Remington":y25xund4 said:
jmad_81":y25xund4 said:

Jake pillar and glass bedding will prevent that from happening. All of my rifles have been at least glass bedded, and from now on they will also have pillars if they are wood stocks. I think it's worth it for strength and stability, and to give the action a perfectly level and tight fitting bed to snuggle up into! :p I even had my son's EW SS "skim bedded" as the smith called it to make sure the action is sitting in the stock perfectly.

ITH go ahead and get you a nice piece of wood if that's what you want, but get it bedded right off the bat. Good luck.
David

David, I think Jake's 375 was pillared and still cracked it loose? :shock:

It started to crack before it was pillar bedded. I added a rear cross bolt as the stock plit length wise from the trigger to the magazine. After bedding the original crack turned into a chip. Not sure if it was just exposing damage that was already done or if it actually got worse after bedding.

I do really like the looks of the wood. I might have to give the wood another shot. Bk nailed it though, I'll be adding a few cross bolts, and pillar bedding from the start if i do go wood.

jmad_81":2m95je4b said:
It started to crack before it was pillar bedded. I added a rear cross bolt as the stock plit length wise from the trigger to the magazine. After bedding the original crack turned into a chip. Not sure if it was just exposing damage that was already done or if it actually got worse after bedding.

I do really like the looks of the wood. I might have to give the wood another shot. Bk nailed it though, I'll be adding a few cross bolts, and pillar bedding from the start if i do go wood.
I agree that I think the cross bolts help also. The stock that split on me was on a light kicking 280 Remington of all things in a Remington MTN rifle! :twisted: At least Remington did replace it with a brand new stock, but that was several years ago. First thing I did when I got the new stock was take it to my gunsmith to have him bed it properly. No problems after that.
David

SJB358":3vmf4rt0 said:
6mm Remington":3vmf4rt0 said:
jmad_81":3vmf4rt0 said:

David, I think Jake's 375 was pillared and still cracked it loose? :shock:
You guys and those cannons! :roll: :wink: :shock: ufdah

Cannons? Us? No such thing as too much gun David... Doesn't even register in my head! HA! :twisted:

Ruger stocks seem to have a problem with cracking, especially if the bedding has been done improperly. The design leaves something to be desired, in my estimate. Mine are normally pillar bedded as soon as I pick them up.

So I ordered today...

Exhibition grade "2nd" in claro walnunt cut to a modern classic style. Said 8-10 weeks, will see. Plan on finishing it to a high "weatherby" shine. Love the contrast with that a matte black.

Did you go with the rose wood caps? I think that will look very nice on that rifle.

That style is the same one I was concidering. You'll have to let me know how you like it if you get yours up and running before I get mine replaced.

yea i did the rosewood, couldn't omit those. I plan on pillar and glass bedding.

Also had them put on a 1" pad..bout $220 out the door, should be nice

By the time you have it pillar bedded your still into it less than a McMillan, and have a better looking stock for that type of rifle, IMO.

Nice work.

Back