Thinking up a wildcat

nhenry

Handloader
Feb 7, 2022
Hello all,

I was told a while back on another forum that the 280AI was pretty limited on the Tikka platform because of the magazine length. So that got the cogs turning.

This wildcat is based loosely on the principles of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'll explain.

The creed was designed for long, high BC projectiles in a short action.

This is the creed, but I literally used the stretch command in AutoCAD to lengthen it, I necked it up to 7mm, and gave it a few different shoulder profiles.

It's around the same amount shorter than the 30-06 as the 6.5 creed is to the 308.

The only real benefits over an already existing cartridge is that it will fit in a Tikka mag while being able to touch the lands, and would hypothetically be more powerful than a 284 Win.

This fill no unfilled niche, so don't tell me it's pointless because I know. Everything is redundant nowadays anyways, might as well chip in.

Its working name is the 7mm Redundancy.

Thoughts? Has this already been done?

Capture.PNG

I just realized that I left some dimensions out of the diagram, but that's alright.

Last edited:
If you want Simple Hypothetical, it is the 284 Shehane (284 Winchester Improved)

Wildcat- maybe not- but somone should make the .25WSM. A 257 weatherby in a short action, although the long for Cal. bullets would likely give you the Mag length issue again. See... most of us "rifle loonies" have these hypothetical ideas running around in our noggins. CL

Wildcat- maybe not- but someone should make the .25WSM. A 257 Weatherby in a short action, although the long for Cal. bullets would likely give you the Mag length issue again. See... most of us "rifle loonies" have these hypothetical ideas running around in our noggins. CL
Close to a 25 WSM, just a little bit less horsepower...25 PRC. When you run single-shot it gives you more flexibility. 131 BlackJack at 3168 fps
MVK6Rygl.jpg

Lym81QFl.jpg

Hello all,

I was told a while back on another forum that the 280AI was pretty limited on the Tikka platform because of the magazine length. So that got the cogs turning.

This wildcat is based loosely on the principles of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'll explain.

The creed was designed for long, high BC projectiles in a short action.

This is the creed, but I literally used the stretch command in AutoCAD to lengthen it, I necked it up to 7mm, and gave it a few different shoulder profiles.

It's around the same amount shorter than the 30-06 as the 6.5 creed is to the 308.

The only real benefits over an already existing cartridge is that it will fit in a Tikka mag while being able to touch the lands, and would hypothetically be more powerful than a 284 Win.

This fill no unfilled niche, so don't tell me it's pointless because I know. Everything is redundant nowadays anyways, might as well chip in.

Its working name is the 7mm Redundancy.

Thoughts? Has this already been done?

I just realized that I left some dimensions out of the diagram, but that's alright.
What about looking at the 6.5WBY RPM and necking up to 7mm, dont have access to the drawings just now but with the rebated rim of the 284/rpm would give a bit more powder capacity

What about looking at the 6.5WBY RPM and necking up to 7mm, dont have access to the drawings just now but with the rebated rim of the 284/rpm would give a bit more powder capacity
Problem is the length. Honestly, shortening the 6.5 WBY RPM to the length I have that would be amazing, but brass is almost nonexistent atm. With the one I devised I would have scads of brass I could use -- 30-06, 25-06, 270, 280, etc

Back when Jamison first came out with his first self-named wildcat, a friend and I thought that the case would make a great short action 375 cartridge. we played with case drawings and dimensions, and even came up with a potential name for it...375 Tuchodi (named after a river in northern BC where grizzlies and buffalo roam). We never got past that stage, and Jamison did come out with own version shortly afterwards IIRC, but it was fun to think about!

A 6.5x55 BJAI necked up to 7mm would be a good one too. I think it has a bit more capacity then the 7x57 Imp due to the long neck on 7x57.

Since you're going with a new design I'd look at the 6.5 Bee RPM case, and shorten it as needed.
Much like a stretched 284 case, that should have as much or more capacity as the 280 AI.
.473" rim and .500" case head, so the magazine modifications should be minimal.

Since you're going with a new design I'd look at the 6.5 Bee RPM case, and shorten it as needed.
Much like a stretched 284 case, that should have as much or more capacity as the 280 AI.
.473" rim and .500" case head, so the magazine modifications should be minimal.
The initial reason that I wasn't doing that to begin with was that the brass isn't readily available yet, but I mocked it up on AutoCAD and I think it's a solid option.

Coming back to this, I think I've made up an equally good, but cheaper option for this wildcat.

Neck a 9.3x62 down to 7mm, bump down the shoulder, and give it a 30 degree profile.f Model (1).jpg

The case itself has more capacity than an '06 and brass is easier to come by than RPM brass

Back