Why no 277 wildcats?

Well said, steve.

The only thing we have that is new might be bullets that can handle some of the old wildcats like the 30-378wby etc. I'd have to say I think the RUM family of rounds is likely a remake of some wildcat based on a 404 jeffery.....

The 338LM too is a remake of an existing idea with better brass, IIRC it wouldn't perform until Lapua made the brass. IT has a couple wildcats built on it.

The 408 Cheytac has some pretty interesting children too, but I would not that they are not normally something you see in the field or hunting camp(depending on your camp I guess).

JT.

I almost built a 270 ICL once. Kick azz wildcat. My gunsmith bailed and I did not pursuit it.

Steven, thanks for being so graceful about the correction.

During the 1950-1960's the shooting fraternity still included many small entrepreneurial companies which were run by devoted veterans, shooters and hunters. The turning of public opinion in the mid 1960's against anything militaristic had already started the slide that we are seeing the results of now, a small highly ventered focalpoint of a few large companies controlling myuch of the landscape in the shooting sports.

With the recent resurgent interest in shooting, there is more entrepreneural activity going on but it seems mostly for the big bore fans (over 8mm). At least it is there and growing slowly. Maybe as the economy grows back, it will also.

Guy Miner":3s5ji3j6 said:
I wonder if perhaps the reason for so few .277" wildcats is because the .270 Win does the job so very well?

It's hard to improve on near perfection...

Sheesh, and this from a guy who doesn't own a .270! :grin:

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm with you. It is hard to truly improve on a round based on the "lowly" .30-06 Springfield. The .270 Winchester and the .280 Remington are simply perfection.

I agree. I also have one of each around just because they are so great! I no longer have a .25-06 though.

I had a few rifles chambered for 270Win. My favorite was a Win. M70 made in 1952. As Jack O'Connor always promised, the 270Win is a good round for just about any game. I had two other rifles in 270Win that were sporterized Mausers. While not as smooth in action as was the M70 they shot as well. They all worked well with nearly any old ammo that I bought or hand loaded.
The 270Win is just a great all around cartridge that can be successfully used on varmints or elk and everything in between.
I have always believed that our cluttered array of available cartridges are there only because most of us are always looking for something different. No doubt the availability of cartridges could be boiled down to no more than five and all bases would be covered, in terms of what was needed to cleanly kill any game animal, at reasonable ranges.
Surely the 270Win would hold down one of those five slots.
Steven

You are very right about having alot of choices. The 270 Win a great one no doubt. Plus, most folks can shoot the 270 really well and since it shoots pretty flat, and that gives alot of confidence to many shooters. I know I wouldn't give up my 270WSM for anything! Scotty

I have had no experience with the 270WSM, although a number of knowledgeable riflemen have told me that the 270WSM edges out it's parent cartridge, the 270Win, in terms of effectiveness.
I also have heard over the years, those who sing the praises of "short stack" cartridges and how they are superior to the older, longer cartridges.
Causing owners of rifles chambered in 270Win, to give them up for a rifle in 270WSM is likely not going to happen to any great extent. However, luring newer shooters into buying rifles in 270WSM certainly must be making a dent in the numbers of those who would've been drawn to the older 270Win.
Even Jack O'Connor, who did more to popularize the 270Win than did anyone else, claimed at the end of his life, that the 280Rem was superior. Still the 270Win soldiers on and has yet to be unseated as one of the America's all time favorite rifle/cartridge combinations.
Steven

Steven, you are right about not giving up the 270 Win for the WSM. If I already had a 270Win, I would not have gotten a WSM. Would have probably gotten the 7WSM! They both do the same work, I just like the WSM. It is pretty easy to load for, and it is an accurate cartridge for me. I am sure the regular 270 would have done the same. I guess the 270WSM kinda splits the difference between the Win and WBY, and being really near the WBY with most loads. Brass is pretty close to Win prices, so it keeps me shooting for about the same price. Scotty

The one advantage to owning a 270Win, over it's competition, is the fact that once fired 30-06 cases can be picked up for free at the range, and, they are always laying there, on the ground. One pass through the full length 270Win sizer and "voila', I have a never ending supply of free 270Win brass.
Same goes for 280Rem.
7.62x51mm (308Win) brass is not quite as available, in terms of free brass, but I find a lot of it for use in either my 308Win or 243Win rifles.
Steven

Back