375 or 375 thats the question

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
I like Africa so much I'm planning a Cape Buffalo hunt in three years. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the 375 H&H or the 375 Ruger before I make my decision to buy.
Russ

Looks like either will do what you need. They appear to be ballistic twins. The H & H will have ammunition more readily available if you need to buy some in Africa, I should imagine. So long as you hand load, the Ruger would be a lot of fun.

I'd buy the rifle I liked, in either cartridge. They appear to be very close as far as ballistics go. Buy the rifle, either cartridge should be fine.

+1 with POP.

I have a 375R but if I didn't have a 375 and was going to get one just for a trip to africa, it would be a H&H for the feeling of using a classic for the stuff it was desinged to so and has been doing for many many years.

Ballistically they are not that much different.

If I were going after Cape Buffalo, I would want the .416 Remington Mag. I had one set up for the purpose,then 9/11 happened and I never got to go. Now I have lost so much money that I can't afford to go.The .375 is illegal to use for buff in certain countries in Africa.
I still own a .375 H&H. That is the one I like best.It is an all time classic rifle cartridge.

Russ,,,,,,,,,The killing effects on the same game between the two is literally a wash and so should their accuracy. No advantage there in either direction......If you value tradition and do equate "tradition" in a rifle cartridge, then the 375 H&H is your choice. I personally cannot equate tradition in any rifle cartridge. When it comes to tradition, I associate things like architectural designs, values, family traditional events, venues and things like that......In your case, go for the rifle that suites you the best for looks, handling, manuverabilty and speed, balancing, is easier carrying, is durable and reliable in any weather should you take your 375 to other places besides Africa (like Alaska? Canada?), and so on... I can tell you that when it comes to the above depts, I`d rather dump tradition. I bought one in the Alaskan version for the harsher weather. My groups are moa and sub-moa from the box using my reloads. Not that it will matter much on game, but from my 20" tubed, 40 3/4" OAL Alaskan, I can and have duplicated full sized 25" tubed, 46" OAL H&H rifle ballistics with my reloads. The feeding is absolutely flawless too.

Oh I can read it now! Many will say that the 375 H&H is a proven cartridge. I hope so, its nearly 100 years old. As if the 375 Ruger has not been proven? Last time I checked, they both shoot the same bullets! So unless I`m missing something, what`s left to prove with the 375 Ruger and since when does it take years to prove a cartridge?.....Also, if this cartridge has not proven itself sufficiently, then why is Howa introducing the 375 R in their 1500 line this year?. Also, a few reloading manuals now have reloading data on 375 Ruger, one of which I have.

Certainly not as common as the H&H, but 375 R factory ammo availability is increasing world-wide according to Hornady, as their foreign distribution approvals come in.

After less than 3 years, no other round that I can remember, has taken off or grown so quickly in popularity as the 375 Ruger round since first being introduced.

If I am going to follow a wounded Cape into the brush,you can bet my first shot will be with a .416 or a .458.
That is the only big game animal left that I care anything about hunting.
The Real Deal. :wink:
I had two beautiful rifles set up right.They were Model 70 safari grades.One in .458 winchester mag and one in .416 Remington mag. I had muzzle brakes and Mercury supressors in the stock. It tamed the recoil to the point you could shoot them comfortably off the bench.They are gone now.So is the dream.

.405, never say never. Dreams come true. I once dreamed of Africa to. I saved made sacrifices and got to go. No regrets at all. The reason I'm looking at a 375 is that the owner of the lodge is a friend and he recommended the 375. He has way more knowledge in hunting buffs than I will ever have plus he will be standing right next to me with his 460. I've only shot three rounds out of a 375 H&H, two at a target and one at an Impala. Well if the Impala can be more dead than dead he was. The Impala was standing near a tree and the splatter went higher than me. I was impressed. I just wanted to hear what peoples opinions were on the two rounds from people who have them.
Russ

I recall shooting an old Sako .375 H&H with a Mannlicher stock.It was my friends gun.We were shooting motor oil quart bottles at 100 yards offhand and hitting them consistently.That was a nice rifle.I have a Stainless Browning A bolt in .375 H&H and it is very accurate as well.

I am a RUM fan so I would go with the 375 RUM. It generates some serious horse power.
If I was going to own a dedicated Buffalo rifle, I would actually look at the 416 Rem and 416 Wby. They are all about dealing with "Black Death" charges.

JD338

I owned a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H once.I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that one ,it had pretty would though. :p Needless to say I found it a new owner. :grin:

russ808
It sounds like you have made the choice in calibers and they are twins ballistically so it's just a matter of playing with the toys and seeing which one follows you home. DrMike did make a valid point about ammo availability. You might ask your PH about his thoughts between the two and even other options.

Greg

I second the previous statements:

#1 - Its a Classic in the classic sense...... Would kinda be like trying to decide between a 1970 Challenger Hemi and a new 2009 Challenger, what would you choose? Might look like one, might run like one, but it aint......

#2 - Ammo, dies, brass, availibility, etc.... Hell I cant find 375 Ruger stuff on the shelf, but I find the Classic....

C'mon Russ..... Its got a Hemi......

Rod

nodak7mm":1a6hvnt1 said:
I second the previous statements:
Ammo, dies, brass, availibility, etc.... Hell I cant find 375 Ruger stuff on the shelf, but I find the Classic....

C'mon Russ..... Its got a Hemi......

Rod
..................Factory ammo availability depends on where you live! I can`t say about Hawaii, Dakotas or other places, but here in So Cal, 375 Ruger ammo is everywhere.

Dies, brass, shellholders, the major distributors have. That`s how I got mine! Load up on the brass, get the reloading components (dies, shellholder, powders) and no matter where you live, you`ll be fine as long as you reload, which one should do anyway.

The older Dodge Challenger may have the Hemi, but it isn`t quite as fast as the new Challenger (with the most HP available), from the 0 to 60 and quarter mile reports I`ve read.

Kinda the same between the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. The H&H is not quite as fast.

Both Challengers will get ya from A to B, just like both 375`s will get ya the game. BTW! A completely restored original "classic" Hemi Challenger will set one back about what?....150 to 200K at the Barrett auctions I`ve seen on TV??..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man Big Squeeze, Great rebuttal... :eek: 8) I am almost left speechless and am thinking of the two dorks from the "Its got a Hemi" commercial.... :lol: :lol: A classic commercial..

Now that my shooting friends was a great example of how to play nice on the internet with differing opinions.... Dang this site is the best..

Oh Yeah!! No replacement for displacement!!! :wink: :wink: :grin:

Rod

nodak7mm":3kdzi2a9 said:
Man Big Squeeze, Great rebuttal... :eek: 8) I am almost left speechless and am thinking of the two dorks from the "Its got a Hemi" commercial.... :lol: :lol: A classic commercial..

Now that my shooting friends was a great example of how to play nice on the internet with differing opinions.... Dang this site is the best..

Oh Yeah!! No replacement for displacement!!! :wink: :wink: :grin:

Rod
..........Ya liked that one uh???........With todays modern hi tech, you don`t need more displacement to go faster.

However, the 375 R does offer a little more powder "displacement" case volume than the H&H. So in this case, you`re right about "no replacement for displacement." ...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Reloading is not an option its a fact of life. Its the components part of it. Not many game here for the 375's so the demand is very low so its special orders mostly. I also read that the H&H has a case stretch issue where the R doesn't. What to do, what to do.

YoteSmoker":28d38h5s said:
375 RUM ought to take care of any inferiority complexes.
.........I`m sure it will! But in doing so, one gets alot more recoil, is not fun to shoot for most and has ridiculously more power than needed for anything in N/A.

For dangerous game in Africa within "normal" PH guided 375 hunting distances, the RUM like the 378 Wby is too fast (a quote from Craig Boddington BTW). The 375 H&H and Ruger speeds, offer more than enough capability for complete penetrations and pass throughs for the caped buffs.

The 375 RUM is like a cup of coffee with too much sugar added. So while the H&H and Ruger have inferior ballistics to the 375 RUM and the 378 Wby, the RUM and Wby would be my last two choices to own amongst the 375`s.

Inferior ballistics yes, but no inferiority complexes here and wouldn`t mind if there were.

Back