375 RUM OR 375 H & H?

Bigcat_hunter

Beginner
Jan 17, 2006
For a future Alaskan gun. I am leaning towards the RUM. It seems to shoot as flat as a 270 and the H&H has a trajectory of about a 30-06. I reload everything so ammo is no problem. Any opinions?

I am actualy ponering the same question.
Although some will tell you that a 300 gr 375 over 2500 fps is just extra recoil, I tend to think differently.
I am going to go with a 375 RUM. :wink:

JD338

Are you worried about the cartrage becoming a wildcat? I guess your barrel would get burned up before then anyways.

Bigcat_hunter":hkb9aawi said:
Are you worried about the cartrage becoming a wildcat? I guess your barrel would get burned up before then anyways.

I don't understand your comment about wildcat.

JD338

I personally would opt for the 375 H&H. If you decide down the road that you want more horsepower, you can rechamber it to 375 improved. Then, you have a real cannon. Fireforming standard 375 H&H factory loads in it is all it takes to make brass, and being as you reload, it'll be a snap.

JD338":k3qjxrm1 said:
Bigcat_hunter":k3qjxrm1 said:

JD338

Wildcat; meaning it will eventually be dropped by manufacturers due to lack of popularity.

Bigcat_hunter":2kwczcol said:
JD338":2kwczcol said:
Bigcat_hunter":2kwczcol said:

JD338

Wildcat; meaning it will eventually be dropped by manufacturers due to lack of popularity.

Actually, a wildcat is a cartridge that is not offered commercially.
What you are asking is if the 375 RUM will become obsolete. :wink:
I don't know the answer to this but I will buy 3-4 bags of brass so I won't have to worry about it. You can also form cases from 300 RUM brass.

JD338

Last summer, I helped a buddy work up loads for a 375 RUM. We stopped before we got to max loads due to recoil. Yes, I know its a personal problem and we both had it!

We settled on very accurate loads that matched max speeds for the H&H. He is happy, knows he can kill anything on earth, his barrel will last near forever and so will his shoulder.

JD338":2merrgio said:
Bigcat_hunter":2merrgio said:
JD338":2merrgio said:
Bigcat_hunter":2merrgio said:

JD338

Actually, a wildcat is a cartridge that is not offered commercially.
What you are asking is if the 375 RUM will become obsolete. :wink:
I don't know the answer to this but I will buy 3-4 bags of brass so I won't have to worry about it. You can also form cases from 300 RUM brass.

JD338

Thats what I meant, they dont manufacture the ammunition , hence; wildcat.

Bigcat_hunter, JD338 - Been shooting and reloading for the 375 RUM for over a year now. VERY flat shooting, recoil not bad, and 260 AB's at 200 yards are coming in at 1.2" consistantly. Too much horsepower? Maybe, but better that than not enough. Load data - 96 gr. H4350, Fed 215 primers.

Tric,

Sounds like you have a great load. As Pop asked, what velocity are you getting? What rifle are you shooting?
I'm looking for a 700 LSS in 375 RUM. I already have one in 338 RUM and she is a shooter.

JD338

Now you're in my territory. 260 gr.A/B 3080fps. 2 elk in one year. 30 yds and 225+ yds. Accurate as can be and shoots flat. Buy it! If you reload and want to go up or down on bullet or velocity you can. I wouldn't trade this Rem LSS for the world. Yes it kicks but what round doesn't thats powerfull enough for the big stuff? I've been shooting it for 3 years and my shoulder hasn't dislocated or broken yet but man what it does to an elk!!!
Good Hunting

Elkhunt :grin:

The H&H has made a name for itself through performance over a time span of approx 100 years, the 375Rum is just getting started. If one feels he/she needs more velocity/ power/kick then go for it. The animals won't know the difference. I would not feel undergunned with the H&H, if it won't do the job, you need a bigger caliber not more speed. Both are using the same bullets.
I helped two friends work up loads for their 375 H&Hs for an African buffalo hunt. The PH told them not to load for a pass through shot. He didn't want another buffalo getting hit.Rick.

POP, JD338. Shooting the Remington XCR. Very light-weight, with scope, sling, and magazine loaded comes in exactly 8 pounds. Not TOO punishing... Velocity is running 3100-3120, using an old wore-out crony.

Damn!

Dude youre like 50 fps less than my 378 BEE! :shock:

I built a custom .375 RUM on a Winchester Model 70 action, 26" barrel. I put a Vais muzzle brake on it. I shoot 260 grain AccuBond's using IMR4350 powder and Remington 9 1/2M primers. Average muzzle velocity is 3,140 fps. It stays under an inch at 100 yards from a bench. So far I've made one shot kills on milk jugs full of water, jack rabbits, and big bull elk. I like it!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/309712.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/447521.jpg

victorc":27xc2bfi said:
I built a custom .375 RUM on a Winchester Model 70 action, 26" barrel. I put a Vais muzzle brake on it. I shoot 260 grain AccuBond's using IMR4350 powder and Remington 9 1/2M primers. Average muzzle velocity is 3,140 fps. It stays under an inch at 100 yards from a bench. So far I've made one shot kills on milk jugs full of water, jack rabbits, and big bull elk. I like it!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/309712.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/447521.jpg

What kind of ranges are you shooting with your RUM?

Sounds like the PH was afraid they would use Barnes bullets which pretend to be expanding but actually shed petals or don't expand and become solids Like the E-Tip bullets picture portrays. It is real. If you read between the lines of the shooting writers they mention projecting most of the bullets energy beyond the animal with all copper bullets. I no longer use them because they are so finiky in velocity/expansion range. The .375 Rum with AccuBond bullets ads a dimension to the shot that incorporates the high velocity shock as well as the linear expansion/deep penetration the .375 H&H is famous for. It's kind of like what our military has done with tank fired projectiles in the last 25 years. As the famous saying goes" try it you'll like it". :grin:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt

Back