Berger VLD bullets

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
A friend has asked me to put together a load for his Model 70 300 Win Mag using the 185 gr Berger VLD bullet. I am not having much luck using my favorite load of rl-22. What I am finding is that these need to be seated deep to function with the magazine feed and I think that it is putting the bullet to far off the rifling. I ordered a modified 300 case for my OAL gauge to see if this is true but I have not received it yet. Do any of you have experience with these bullets? :?

When the Bergers work, they work exceptionally well. When they don't work, there seems to be little that can be done. Generally, I have been able to get the Bergers to work quite well in Model 70s. I somewhat surprised that you are forced to seat them so deeply to get them to feed through the magazine as the Model 70 magazine has generous depth. Generally, when Bergers have not worked well, it has been the result of cut rifling in the barrel. I've steered owners to ABs to provide the accuracy they need in those instances. Alternatively, your friend might wish to use a lighter Berger to circumvent seating the bullets so deeply.

I shoot bergers .030 off the lands and they shoot quite well, I've heard of great accuracy at .1 off the lands, try H-1000 or retumbo.
RR

Anyone shoot any big game up close? How does it hold up?

POP":r2877nev said:
the match versions aren't real bad, the orange box I don't like at all, out of 3 deer shot last season at ranges of 230, 457, 493, none exited, 2 never even made it into the chest cavity in one piece, with liver hits. any bullet should penetrate and exit a whitetail at 500 yards. I'm still on the fence as to they're suitability, but damn do they shoot good!
RR

the match versions aren't real bad, the orange box I don't like at all, out of 3 deer shot last season at ranges of 230, 457, 493, none exited, 2 never even made it into the chest cavity in one piece, with liver hits. any bullet should penetrate and exit a whitetail at 500 yards. I'm still on the fence as to they're suitability, but damn do they shoot good!
RR[/quote]

Sounds to me like the Berger VLD hunting acted just like it was supposed to!! I shot an antelope and mule deer with them this year and had great results. Both animals were DRT. This debate has gone on and on but to me the berger VLD does exactly what they state it does. If you are looking for a bullet that exits on all shots then the VLD probably isn't the bullet of choice. If you are looking for a bullet thats highly accurate and is meant to expend all its energy inside the animal then the VLD would be my first choice. I personally can't wait to try them again this year.

POP":vo5g49hs said:
Last year I shot my deer at 650 yards with the 168 grain target vld out of a 7mm wsm and the bullet sure did its job. There was not much bloodshot meat, but the exit hole was about 2.5 inches. But then again that is not that close.

CAhunter":8gtxdk33 said:
Sounds to me like the Berger VLD hunting acted just like it was supposed to!! I shot an antelope and mule deer with them this year and had great results. Both animals were DRT. This debate has gone on and on but to me the berger VLD does exactly what they state it does. If you are looking for a bullet that exits on all shots then the VLD probably isn't the bullet of choice. If you are looking for a bullet thats highly accurate and is meant to expend all its energy inside the animal then the VLD would be my first choice. I personally can't wait to try them again this year.

No it didn't act like it was supposed to, its supposed to penetrate 4" then expand rapidly
106_1726.jpg

does this look like 4" of penetration before it expanded? more like 1" had 3 in a row do this, I don't expect every bullet to exit but at 500 yards when no bone is encountered it should make it into the chest cavity before it comes completely apart.
RR

Great picture RR. What were you shooting the bullet out of? I think those VLD's are pretty slick bullets, but just kind of prefer more penetration. I know it doesn't mean much on deer, but I just like them to make 2 holes. Scotty

I hope more information on performance comes in here on the Bergers - If you have read their explanations of "their slant" on bullet performance you quickly understand that these are specialized bullets meant for long range "one shot kills" - Berger's whole interpretation of ballistic coefficients seems like "greek" to me in many ways - I finally tried some 150's in my 270 WSM and was VERY pleasantly surprised at the ease of getting to accurate loads to 200 yds but I have not had the chance to test them farther out, I am not worried about that much, so I have some loaded to try this fall but I am not singing their praises just yet ... time and experience will tell -

on that model 70 not shooting Bergers when loading far off the lands ... the farther from the barrel influences the bullet starts the more important it is that your bullets are seated exactly straight and the rifle's barrel / action alignment is "true" ... just food for thought

beretzs":30le3zej said:
Great picture RR. What were you shooting the bullet out of? I think those VLD's are pretty slick bullets, but just kind of prefer more penetration. I know it doesn't mean much on deer, but I just like them to make 2 holes. Scotty

140gr 6.5's out of the gibbs at a MV of 3160 fps, I don't mind if they don't exit, but come'on, no bullet designed for big game should turn to dust when it impacts hide.
RR

Does not inspire much confidence in my 300 rum load!

210 VLD at 3116 fps! Shot a goat last year at 347 yards but that was not aware of close up capability! :cry:

Great picture of the point of impact RR. I have some 140 grain VLDs that I plan on trying in the 6.5WSM I am having built. I think that they will be fun to shoot at distance to "ring a bell", but would never consider them for hunting. Will be using 130 grain ABs or Scirrocos depending on which one shoots the best.

My son shoots 77.6 grs of H1000 behind a 185 Berger.... out of his 300 WM.
Last year I was with him when he dropped a cow elk at around 300 yards, sort of a bang flop ordeal.
I have to say if you want to salvage every ounce of meat try a different bullet. We had your basic 30 cal entry hole and no exit hole, however "stuff" between looked a lot like the picture posted by RR.
I would use them again in a heartbeat, I have not seen many elk dropped like a sack of spuds. CW

beretzs":qy1r395e said:
Interesting picture. I agree with scotty 2 holes better than 1.

Your posts have offered some insite. When I receive my modified case I can see how far off the rifling we are really talking. I will also test them with H1000. This rifle has a boss on the end so may need to play with that as well. Thank you all.

The Berger VLD is supposed to go in 2" and then explode. The limited experience I have with them this has been true. For the 300 win mag I would use one of the 4350 powders. If your friend is going to be hunting deer size game I would suggest the 165 gr ballistic tip and if elk size game is in the mix either the 180 or 200 gr AccuBond of Partition.

Go to www.longrangehunting.com and go to the forums. You will find a Reloading thread. At the top of the page in this thread you will see a line that says something like "Loading the Berger VLD bullets." It will teach you how to find your seating depth. They will shoot very well waaaaaaaay of the lands. The do not have to be jammed.

1Shot":1ctd3rgc said:
The Berger VLD is supposed to go in 2" and then explode. The limited experience I have with them this has been true. For the 300 win mag I would use one of the 4350 powders. If your friend is going to be hunting deer size game I would suggest the 165 gr ballistic tip and if elk size game is in the mix either the 180 or 200 gr AccuBond of Partition.

from bergers web page
The Hunting bullet line is proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullets available. All of our Hunting bullets are made in the VLD design. The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3” before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13” to 15” long.

nothin about explodeing, also says it leave a wound cavity 13-15", they don't, if they made 15" in a 90 pound whitetail, and shedded 40-85%, a piece of it should exit! these didn't make the chest cavity!
RR

As someone before me has said try 4350 in the 300 win mag, mine likes "full" loads. . I have not used the berger for game, I know that they shoot well but the performance shown and described here is not what I want. I think about what I would have with a shoulder or quartering away shot and don't want to take the chance. The 180 or 200 grain PT gets the job done every day every time. Just my .02

Back