Bought a Donor

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
4873A9D8-C836-4420-95D7-C5783C1AD919.png
I have been looking for an 375 H&H Vanguard for quite some time. A DGR Vanguard sold for $1500 the other day , times are nuts. So I’m going to build one of my own. Going prefit so I can do all the work myself.
I’m also thinking maybe 8mm Rem Mag instead🤪

Congratulations on the new project. Nice looking donor, you are well on your way now. What barrel maker, contour and length are you considering?

JD338

The McGowen barrel I got for my Striker , I like it a lot. They would be my first choice. Preferred Barrel is a good choice , I did one for the boy in 223 Wylde. Shilen does prefits for the Howa made receivers now also.
I’m thinking Rem’s Sendero profit and a B&C stock.

Take a look at Krieger. I have one on my 338 RUM.
Shot this today at 250 yards. First shot was with 1 MOA hold. Shots 2&3 were holding dead on.
She is a shooter.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_163526009.jpg
    IMG_20230214_163526009.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice job👍.
Krieger would be my first choice if I was having the barrel shouldered , but I’m wanting to do this on my own. My 340 Wby has been sitting at the smith since 10-2021 , which is getting a Krieger.
Krieger does have two .375 barrels ready to ship now.

Ive owned a .375 in a Model 70, as well as two 8mm Rem Mags in Remington 700’s. Both are very accurate, very capable cartridges. I don’t currently have one of either.

I felt then as I do now, the 8mm would’ve really been able to benefit from a 225-250 grain bullet selection. The 220 grain Sierra Gameking was my absolute favorite bullet. I killed my first two elk with that rifle, I wish I still had it.

The .375 got sold before I had any chance to shoot anything with it

Anxious to see where this project goes! Thanks for sharing!

I was snooping on Hammer’s website , and see they put a lot of work into 8mm bullets. My main goal is to do an 375 HH. Until my donor makes it into my hands , I can do some thinking.

8mm Rem Mag is unique and powerful. An uncommon cartridge, but you're a seasoned handloader, no problem. Never shot one, but I'd think that like the 338 Win Mag and 340 Weatherby, it would be sufficient to take anything in North America, and most of the world.

The 375 H&H... Well, it's been around since 1912, 110+ years of incredible hunting stories... Not sure it's possible to love a cartridge, but I'm just about there with the 375...

Vanguard/Howa... Good stuff right there! :)

I like the 8mm RM, but I was equally pleased with my 325 WSM which was more than capable of taking anything I'd ever encounter here in BC. I found it pleasant to shoot and it was very easy to find an accurate load for the rifle.

If the barrel couture is up to it, I'd send it to JES and have him rebore to a 5 grove cut rifle in 375 H&H.
If you want a little more 375 Zing, I have a 375 Ackley Improved and a 375 Weatherby reamer and I could drop them off at his shop to cut your chamber.
I wish he did 8mm rebores as I have a M70 with a less than pampered bore and a bunch of 8mm bullets and a set of 8mm RM dies.

If the barrel couture is up to it, I'd send it to JES and have him rebore to a 5 grove cut rifle in 375 H&H.
If you want a little more 375 Zing, I have a 375 Ackley Improved and a 375 Weatherby reamer and I could drop them off at his shop to cut your chamber.
I wish he did 8mm rebores as I have a M70 with a less than pampered bore and a bunch of 8mm bullets and a set of 8mm RM dies.
Thanks for the offer. The barrel would be pretty thin afterwards. The main reason I went this route is to do another rifle as much myself as possible.
The Reward factor.

Well I’m getting ahead of myself , but some brass is on its way.
This keeps my options open until I decide on a final caliber.

I picked it up today after work. Boy I’m having second thoughts on rebarreling it. This is an 26” Sheridan , WY rifle. I don’t think it has seen 20 round through it. The scope is a China Vortex model I never heard of.
AA5B4282-B978-4C9D-918D-43F6E0C98CF7.jpeg

Some of them beat up old truck guns...are in the truck cause they work! All the time, every time...... so they look like they have been "loved"! CL

For the price I figured I was buying someone’s beat up truck gun , not a next to new one. I really don’t need another 30 cal , I just have a project in my mind I want to do.
Take the barrel off and do your project.
Have you made your mind up on the chambering?

Back