Rifle Prices...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Good grief - was browsing GunBroker for a Marlin 1885 SBL - the 45-70 with the gray laminated stock...

$2k and more... I understand that one sold for $3k recently.

This is a production firearm, a Remington-built Marlin... Good grief.

Just two years ago I bought the standard 1895, walnut stock, 22" barrel, for only $548 at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's turned out to be a good rifle, reliable and accurate.

Guess I should have bought a half dozen SBL's for investment purposes! Crazy times, crazy prices.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":he6fzowy said:
Good grief - was browsing GunBroker for a Marlin 1885 SBL - the 45-70 with the gray laminated stock...

$2k and more... I understand that one sold for $3k recently.

This is a production firearm, a Remington-built Marlin... Good grief.

Just two years ago I bought the standard 1895, walnut stock, 22" barrel, for only $548 at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's turned out to be a good rifle, reliable and accurate.

Guess I should have bought a half dozen SBL's for investment purposes! Crazy times, crazy prices.

Regards, Guy
Holy Cow!
You're not kidding!
We have people making money off of a local gun trader site here.
They go in to Academy Sports here when they get a shipment of firearms in, and ammo, and buy everything, and then jack up the prices, thinking they're going to make a hefty profit.
Seems like GB has some unscrupulous members as well, looking to make a quick buck on some things.
I wish we could circumvent this somehow.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Yikes! Keep an eye out on 24Hour Campfire Classified.
Maybe you can get one at a "fair" price.
A friend of mine bought one last summer at Midway USA and paid full MSRP. Beautiful rifle but spendy.

JD338

Thebear_78":3v5n6gcn said:
I just got a 1895 GBL for $600 last week. So they are still around at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent! (y)

It is crazy what has happened with the resale market for anything firearm related, if you are lucky enough to find it on a store shelf around here your going to pay the same price as you would normal, some sales are still going on too. I bought a 1000 primers at sportsman's for $30 last week, and a couple boxes of 45ACP for $23 each. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if I just posted locally I could have sold them for double that afternoon. Anything you look at online seems to be going for a premium, and prices fluctuate a lot throughout week.
Its not just firearm related my brother was telling me to try finding a freezer right now, none existent unless you want to wait a month or more. Even the real-estate market around here is booming with people coming in.
I'm giving it about 2 years maybe less and the markets will be flooded with the 'needs' of the last 8 months

Said it before, there's no crazier prices I've seen anywhere right now then on Gun Broker. I seen a new Win 94 XTR or whatever they're called now, in a 30-30 Win, go for over $1000.

A quality rifle at a real good or fair price is always a good buy, and they're still out there, but in general now is not the time to be buying rifles, especially on a online auction site. People have lost their minds. If the component shortage doesn't ease up, you're going to see some rifles going cheap, and people that paid twice what they should've are now going to own a gun worth 1/3 of what they paid.

I'm already starting to see a few ad's along the lines of: I bought this rifle but cannot find any ammo for it so I have it for sale.

Slimfinn":ggx47oov said:
Its not just firearm related my brother was telling me to try finding a freezer right now, none existent unless you want to wait a month or more. Even the real-estate market around here is booming with people coming in.
I'm giving it about 2 years maybe less and the markets will be flooded with the 'needs' of the last 8 months

I dont know if you have Rural Kings out there, but they have mid sized chest freezers on special for $185, at least in VA & WV stores.

I saw a #3 RCBS shellholder bid up to $38 plus shipping on fleabay earlier today... still an hour or so left too. :shock:

All you have to do is sell your rifles etc. and "make some money".... careful. You'll never get em back. Heard a good one the other day... "the best way to double your money on a firearm is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket". Food for thought. CL

PS - and when your gone your widow will only get 40% of "book Value" whatever that is. Cabelas, Scheels, most similar retail places wont even buy a rifle if it isnt stamped and built by remington, winchester, savage, Tikka, Weatherby etc. They wont even look at my Mausers, let alone a type 38 Arisaka. I know there are other places to sell them but seriously, the lawyers are way to involved in corporate america. Give 'me to your kids before you die!! CL

cloverleaf":tmhm82c6 said:
They wont even look at my Mausers, let alone a type 38 Arisaka. I know there are other places to sell them but seriously, the lawyers are way to involved in corporate america. Give 'me to your kids before you die!! CL

Heck.... my kids wouldn’t want a Mauser, or any other wood/blued rifle I handed them. They care NOTHING about nice wood, or cut checkering, or deep blueing, or open sights, or any other nonsense nostalgia so many attach to rifles. I remember handing my son, 16 at the time, a 70’s vintage Win. M70 in .30-06 with a 4x Leupolds M6. This is a rifle many on this board would have LOVED at 16 years old. He took one look at it, shouldered it, handed it back to me..... and said’ “can’t I just shoot that little 7/08?”. Not gonna lie.... I was proud of the kid. He knows killing stuff is 99.9% carrying a rifle... and .1% shooting the rifle. So, he chose lightweight, shootable, and sufficient power.... without getting beat to death.... doesn’t matter to him what it looks like or what anyone else “likes”. He wouldn’t have paid $200 for that Winny. I would.... because it would make an excellent rebored Whelen....

To many of us now, a rifle is a tool, and it has to perform... all the time, regardless of temp/humidity/altitude/precipitation/etc. It has to be light enough to pack everywhere, and it has to be very accurate. Ive literally shot the barrels off a half-dozen Remington BDL-Vs.... they’re my favorite rifles ever.... I love those things. But, I’d take a Tikka CTR over one ANY day of the week now, because a rifle is a tool... not a side-piece that your buddies drool over.

Regarding pricing.... something about fools and departed money comes to mind. I’ve never really understood why people complain about what someone else is willing to sell/buy an item for. Too much? Don’t buy it. Not enough? Don’t sell it. We can’t have all the benefits of a capitalist society (mostly).... and complain about free deals between free men.

Songdog":149iowrh said:
cloverleaf":149iowrh said:
Heck.... my kids wouldn’t want a Mauser, or any other wood/blued rifle I handed them. They care NOTHING about nice wood, or cut checkering, or deep blueing, or open sights, or any other nonsense nostalgia so many attach to rifles..

Yeah, my son is the same. He couldn't care less...his Tikka is just a tool just like the chainsaw, the socket set or the framing hammer.

His car is the same way...just transportation from A to B.

As a dedicated gun and vehicle guy, I feel like I haven't given him an appreciation for the finer things.

“cloverleaf wrote: Heck.... my kids wouldn’t want a Mauser, or any other wood/blued rifle I handed them. They care NOTHING about nice wood, or cut checkering, or deep blueing, or open sights, or any other nonsense nostalgia so many attach to rifles..”.

Function is the most important aspect of a weapon, not looks. Most of mine are not pretty at all, but they perform in the field where it counts.

Elkman":25tlfy3w said:
“cloverleaf wrote: Heck.... my kids wouldn’t want a Mauser, or any other wood/blued rifle I handed them. They care NOTHING about nice wood, or cut checkering, or deep blueing, or open sights, or any other nonsense nostalgia so many attach to rifles..”.

Function is the most important aspect of a weapon, not looks. Most of mine are not pretty at all, but they perform in the field where it counts.

Actually- you were quoting Song Dog there. My daughter is pretty much not interested in anything that goes bang no matter how its stocked.... Didnt happen for some reason. CL

Rifle Prices- Made the mistake of wandering up to Cabela's today. Saw several boxes of $80-$100 factory ammo, not to mention $30 a box PPU 30-30. Saw only 2 boxes of Nosler VLD bullets- dont remember what cal. or price. No .257 bullets at all. A pound of 4064 is up to $50 bucks.... All the rifles are tucked away in the gun library.... you cant reach any of that from a wheelchair... and the rest hid behind a counter ....and the piece de-resistance.... A used Marlin "Papoose" ( although they dont call it that any more...) .for $850.00 bucks..... Looks like I may never use my points. Good Grief! CL

The good ones aren't letting up anywhere they get a bunch of eyes on them. Especially the harder to get stuff. If anything some of them are going higher than ever.

Some rifles I watched recently that had my interest because I have ones like it or better in my opinion, blew my mind what they ended up going for.

Just one example. A tang safety Ruger M77 Ultralight in 7mm-08 just went for $1900. I have the same Ultralight in 250 Savage. Hard to imagine that would be less desirable. Both rifles I'd rate in very good condition.

This bubble is about to go down like the Chinese balloon 🎈! When I was looking for a 45/70 to play with last fall, I remember all the old tryed and true 1895 Marlins "pre COVID" that were at all the gun shows here in Maine were fetching $5/700 .
Now anything with a JM stamp on it is north of a grand! Some double that???
Ditto on Rem 760/7600 they are on a similar trajectory, with Carbines actually edging into the $2000 range! 😱 OMG. So my money went to an import instead of to Ruger ......... For the same money as a new Marlin I was able to procure a 1886 Pedestoli with NO extra safety, same as an original Winchester in the highly sort after Extra Lite configuration, in a Deluxe PG model with great wood. Very pleased with it. I am a Marlin collector for last 35 years. BUT I am 🚫 not doing business with the GB gougers. This phenomenon won't last......... In the meantime I will just have to put up with this 45/70 till this foolishness is over
EScreenshot_20221220-183005~2.png

Last edited:
Been following Rock Island Auctions lately. It's not unhealthy, we are on the road so it would be very difficult to bid, but I've seen some really good deals.

Back