Tick collars for people

go to do your own pest control, get a bottle of 36.8% permethrin, mix 1.5 oz. to the gallon of water, spray your outer wear and let dry. lasts for a couple washings.
permethrin is the active ingredient in flea and tick powder we used to rub on our dogs bare handed as kids.
also spray it around your foundations of your home and buildings, kills anything with 6 or 8 legs, caution around honeybees it is extremely toxic to them.

Looks like they work, although I'd want to know what the active ingredient in them are.

Personally I use Permethrin. It's been in use since about 1990 for people and works, at least on ticks.

For yrs I've been buying Freedom Spot on 45 to put on my dogs. I buy the product marketed for horses because it's cheaper, although the same thing. Active ingredient is 45% Permethrin, same as the stuff sold for dogs. 1/3 of the cost per month. I put it on at the rate of 3cc's for a dog 33-66 lbs which is the rate listed for the package marketed for dogs. $25 currently for a pack of 6 containers, 9 cc's each. That gives me 18 months of treatments for dogs which only need it over the warmer months here.

Since I already have it here, I mix up my own for myself. Sawyers Permethrin clothing treatment for people is marked at 1/2% Permethrin. Mine is 45%, so I dilute it with water 90 to 1 in a spray bottle to get it down to the 1/2%. Let it dry thoroughly after it's sprayed on clothing and it lasts a long time for outer clothing wear. I'm a tick magnet. But if I have clothes on that are treated with my permethrin mixture, very rarely if at all do I have a tick on me.

Any health concerns with using Permethrin?
back in the 60's you could buy it and we rubbed on our dogs. bare handed and you know as 10 yo's we really washed well afterwards! been using it for years for tick repellent, kills all critters with 6-8 legs. bee spray with permethrin will kill them for 10 days or so after application.

Looks like they work, although I'd want to know what the active ingredient in them are.

Personally I use Permethrin. It's been in use since about 1990 for people and works, at least on ticks.

For yrs I've been buying Freedom Spot on 45 to put on my dogs. I buy the product marketed for horses because it's cheaper, although the same thing. Active ingredient is 45% Permethrin, same as the stuff sold for dogs. 1/3 of the cost per month. I put it on at the rate of 3cc's for a dog 33-66 lbs which is the rate listed for the package marketed for dogs. $25 currently for a pack of 6 containers, 9 cc's each. That gives me 18 months of treatments for dogs which only need it over the warmer months here.

Since I already have it here, I mix up my own for myself. Sawyers Permethrin clothing treatment for people is marked at 1/2% Permethrin. Mine is 45%, so I dilute it with water 90 to 1 in a spray bottle to get it down to the 1/2%. Let it dry thoroughly after it's sprayed on clothing and it lasts a long time for outer clothing wear. I'm a tick magnet. But if I have clothes on that are treated with my permethrin mixture, very rarely if at all do I have a tick on me.
I pulled up the EPA registration number and the approved label says:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Permethrin .52%, so that's tight there with your mixture. Doing it your way is far more economical ,and should be every bit as effective. The things you learn piddling away time on the interwebs. Thank's man! My daughter says she stocks it at Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
I pulled up the EPA registration number and the approved label says:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Permethrin .52%, so that's tight there with your mixture. Doing it your way is far more economical ,and should be every bit as effective. The things you learn piddling away time on the interwebs. Thank's man! My daughter says she stocks it at Tractor Supply.

Yepper. I believe my last packet was purchased at Tractor Supply. If I remember right back in the day I followed the instructions on the Sawyers tick repellent spray bottle for how I applied it to clothing. Regardless, I mist my shirt and pants I'll be using until they are decently damp, but not wet. Let them dry completely. It's supposed to last 6 weeks & 6 washings, but if I'm using them heavy or in heavily infested tick areas I'll treat my clothes more frequently than that.

According to what I remember reading the army has been using it for decades. Permethrin has trouble absorbing through the skin so used at that % and in that manner is supposed to be very safe with no known side effects. I used to run dogs spring through early winter so I used it a lot. Now, not so much. Still use it for dogs monthly in warm months. It's good stuff for ticks. I apply half the 3 cc's between their shoulders, and the other half in front of the base of their tail.

Edit to add.........I think you can pick up a can of Sawyers for $17-$18. I mix up my own because I already have it here, but absent of that, the Sawyers is not a bad or real expensive option.

Last edited:
Yepper. I believe my last packet was purchased at Tractor Supply. If I remember right back in the day I followed the instructions on the Sawyers tick repellent spray bottle for how I applied it to clothing. Regardless, I mist my shirt and pants I'll be using until they are decently damp, but not wet. Let them dry completely. It's supposed to last 6 weeks & 6 washings, but if I'm using them heavy or in heavily infested tick areas I'll treat my clothes more frequently than that.

According to what I remember reading the army has been using it for decades. Permethrin has trouble absorbing through the skin so used at that % and in that manner is supposed to be very safe with no known side effects. I used to run dogs spring through early winter so I used it a lot. Now, not so much. Still use it for dogs monthly in warm months. It's good stuff for ticks. I apply half the 3 cc's between their shoulders, and the other half in front of the base of their tail.
After talking to my daughter, it appears it’s a common thing. People buy the pyrethrin and mix it with distilled water at much stronger concentration than clothing treatment, and spray the mix on the dog’s collars and let it dry, then put the collars on the dogs. Which led me to think it seems simpler to just spray my snake boots and let dry, if it won’t “cling” to the rubber boots, just spray on sweat band or bandanna and put at the top of the snake boot.

Last edited:
After talking to my daughter, it appears it’s a common thing. People buy the pyrethrin and mix it with distilled water and spray the mix on the dog’s collars and let it dry, then put the collars on the dogs. Which led me to think it seems simpler to just spray my snake boots and let dry, if it won’t “cling” to the rubber boots, just spray on sweat band or bandanna and put at the top of the snake boot.

Lots of things like that you can use that are the same thing but way more cost effective. For at least 20 yrs I've been worming dogs with Ivermectin which is the active ingredient in a lot of the good and expensive heartworm wormers marketed by vets.

I buy the 1% injectable for cattle and swine. It is given orally at the rate of 1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs of bodyweight. That's .1 or 1/10 per 10 lbs, not 1 cc per 10 lbs. 1 cc per 10 lbs will kill your dog. Ivomec brand is expensive, but generic brands are much cheaper. At that dosage it is much higher than dosages in heartworm preventative. The dosages in heartworm preventative only, would be extremely difficult to measure out. At that higher dosage it is still quite safe but will also get rid of many other worms except for tapeworms. A small bottle of Ivermectin will last several yrs on a couple of dogs.

If your dog has the blue eyed gene in it, Ivermectin should be avoided.

After talking to my daughter, it appears it’s a common thing. People buy the pyrethrin and mix it with distilled water at much stronger concentration than clothing treatment, and spray the mix on the dog’s collars and let it dry, then put the collars on the dogs. Which led me to think it seems simpler to just spray my snake boots and let dry, if it won’t “cling” to the rubber boots, just spray on sweat band or bandanna and put at the top of the snake boot.

By the way, I caught something here I did not see initially...........you're talking about pyrethrin, not permethrin, very similar but not the same thing. Pyrethrin breaks down when exposed to sunlight or water. You want Permethrin, the active ingredient in Freedom spot on 45. If you read up on it, it is a synthetic version of pyrethrin.

Personally I wouldn't mess with spraying either of them on a dogs collar and letting them dry. Instead I just simply follow the instructions on the package of Freedom Spot on for dogs, except I'm using the cheaper version marketed for horses.

By the way, I caught something here I did not see initially...........you're talking about pyrethrin, not permethrin, very similar but not the same thing. Pyrethrin breaks down when exposed to sunlight or water. You want Permethrin, the active ingredient in Freedom spot on 45. If you read up on it, it is a synthetic version of pyrethrin.

Personally I wouldn't mess with spraying either of them on a dogs collar and letting them dry. Instead I just simply follow the instructions on the package of Freedom Spot on for dogs, except I'm using the cheaper version marketed for horses.
Good catch I was talking permethrin, but my mind went to pyrethrin and typed that instead. We’re on the same page with spot on 45 permethrin. Just a brain fart and typed pyrethrin by mistake.

Good catch I was talking permethrin, but my mind went to pyrethrin and typed that instead. We’re on the same page with spot on 45 permethrin. Just a brain fart and typed pyrethrin by mistake.
(y) No problem. Been in that boat too many times to count.

Back