Who wants to spend some of my money? :)

beretzs":2yhz89q0 said:
That 3.5x10 is my favorite scope on any rifle. I have one mounted on my 270WSM and that scope and rifle is my "everything set up". I love it. I might try looking for a used one for my Weatherby. Again, I am sure any difference you see could change and sway you the other way tomorrow. I would bet a B&C reticled 3.5x10 would be a sweet combo for your 300. Scotty

You know me, Scotty. I like to make sure I look under every rock, twice.

;)

Oldtrader3":1pmrlorh said:
CameraLand must not have had very many of those Conquests, they disappeared fast.

This is how goofy I am... I got up a little early (I'm normally up at 0430, but I woke up at 0300 to get my order in. In hindsight, I am glad I did, with as quickly as they went. So now I can kick myself for only buying one. :cry:

tddeangelo":2jbt4djh said:
DrMike":2jbt4djh said:
I'm holding out for a VX6 2-12 X 42 for my next scope. I was so favourably impressed with my VX7 that I have to try the VX6.

What surprises me is that Leupold doesn't have anything about either the VX7 or VX6 on their website.

I had to look a few times to be sure, but each time was the same, when set on about 8x (as close as I could get it), the VX3 was brighter.

I need to look through my Conquest at home and see if I can get a lens flare from it. I was struggling to focus the one in the store, and I'm wondering if it was THAT scope and not the "norm" from Zeiss.

I think the VX7 is gonzo, discontinued this year due to poor sales. You might look around at some of the online retailers to see if they still have some stock... last time I checked SWFA they had some marked down.

BK":39lam8mo said:
I think the VX7 is gonzo, discontinued this year due to poor sales. You might look around at some of the online retailers to see if they still have some stock... last time I checked SWFA they had some marked down.

Even on SWFA they're still 4 figures. I want to do right by the rifle, but I don't need to spend that kinda dough for what I want, lol.

I'm getting pretty close to calling the VX3 the winner.

I have a set of Leupy standard bases/rings for it. Reports on the web seem to be mixed on those bases. I have them on my '06, as does my father on his, and on his 7-08. I think they'll be ok?

If you're talking about the windage adjustable rear, rotary dovetail front setup originally patented by Redfield, I've got that setup either by Redfield (very old...before the bankruptcy), Leupold, Millett, or Burris on all but two centerfire rifles I own. That includes moderate recoilers like my 8x57 and 270Wby as well as the 300Wby sitting in my safe. No problems at all from any of them, except that Leupold doesn't go on any of my Weatherby rifles anymore as they don't have the rear base height correct and you either have to shim the rear or you have to use Burris Signature Rings and the offset inserts. They list a separate part number for the Mark V, but I think they're using the same height as the Rem700, as the difference is right in line with the .030" difference in rear bridge height between the two.

I just bought Leupold mounts for my son's 270WSM Browning A-Bolt, though. I don't think you'll have a problem on the 300WSM. I'd only worry about it when you get up to the heavy 338cal stuff or the magnum level stuff in 366-375cal or bigger.

dubyam":2lwsmz80 said:
If you're talking about the windage adjustable rear, rotary dovetail front setup originally patented by Redfield, I've got that setup either by Redfield (very old...before the bankruptcy), Leupold, Millett, or Burris on all but two centerfire rifles I own. That includes moderate recoilers like my 8x57 and 270Wby as well as the 300Wby sitting in my safe. No problems at all from any of them, except that Leupold doesn't go on any of my Weatherby rifles anymore as they don't have the rear base height correct and you either have to shim the rear or you have to use Burris Signature Rings and the offset inserts. They list a separate part number for the Mark V, but I think they're using the same height as the Rem700, as the difference is right in line with the .030" difference in rear bridge height between the two.

I just bought Leupold mounts for my son's 270WSM Browning A-Bolt, though. I don't think you'll have a problem on the 300WSM. I'd only worry about it when you get up to the heavy 338cal stuff or the magnum level stuff in 366-375cal or bigger.

Thanks! I kinda think the same, but heard enough griping to make me pause.

I forget if it was here or another forum, but I read a guy who did base/ring installations for a shop saying that he does many installs of the standard bases/rings, and none come back. He claimed many of the failures posted on the 'net were likely due to improper mounting.

Anyway, I think I know what I'll be getting for optics, and the bases/rings are in-hand, so I think we're almost set. Get a check the end of June for work I'm doing now, and then I'll get the scope and pick up the rifle. :)

I've only seen one failure of a dovetail mount, and I'm pretty sure it was due to two things. First off, the front ring had been installed, removed, and installed on several rifles (at least four) so it was weakened from the flexing/unflexing of the dovetail. I think the primary issue, though, was that it was installed "dry." I place a small amount of grease on the dovetail and flat bottom of the front ring, to ease the stress of turning it in, and it seems to work wonders for the stress you feel on installing them. I'm sure the guys who are shooting heavy recoilers and complain about this setup not holding the scope well are telling the truth. I can see the weakness of having just the two screws in the back. But, in those cases, I think a dual dovetail design is just as strong as a Weaver design, but I might be wrong on that.

I think I might be a victim of this whole interweb rumor deal... I have probably a dozen sets of standard rings that have given me absolutely no problem at all, but lately I have been buying only Leupold Dual Dovetails, Talley Lightweights, or a couple of ring/base setups by Williams Machine.

Just to close this one out, I ordered a VX7 yesterday. Projected time to arrival is a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

That darn Scotty has me seriously considering an EGW rail and Leupold PRW rings. I have a "gee, you're on our list for the e-blast but never bought anything yet" special pricing from Midway that discounts the rail a few bucks, and I have an invite to the Cabela's "Friends & Family" in about 3 weeks that I could get a mark-down on the PRW's.

I'm guessing I can make that all come together for about $70, give or take.

UPDATE: Optics Planet just lost a customer. Bottom line, I'm not getting the VX7, and they screwed me over on the deal, even after I talked with them on their live chat on making sure all was as it seemed and I could go ahead with the order. Figures.

Oh well....back to the stuff I was looking at before this seemingly great deal came along.

Tom,

No way! What a bummer! Someone needs to be reprimanded over such a thing.

DrMike":r28mj6lq said:
Tom,

No way! What a bummer! Someone needs to be reprimanded over such a thing.

What happened was that I got on the site and on their "live chat". I asked the rep if they were in stock. Stock was on-hand with a B&C reticle, not with a German #4. The rep assured me more with the #4 were coming. I questioned this, as the scope is discontinued. I was repeatedly assured they were going to get more. I didn't order the B&C, then, even though it was in stock.

Today they cancelled it saying they just discovered it was a discontinued item. The rep I chatted with had little concern for the situation, but was nice enough to tell me they had a VX7 in 1.5-6x24, or in 3.5-14x56 in the VX7L. Or a VXR (optics like a VXII). So I COULD have ordered yesterday and got a scope if I'd know to order the B&C.

Anyway, the reps at OP don't care, so I care not to do any further business with them.

Would you like a Conquest in 3-9x40 with that German #4 reticle? For $350? Let me know and I'll steer you to them. Reputable shop and no BS. Been dealing with them for 20yrs and bought several guns there, some glass, plenty of accessories and such.

dubyam":3h5855rb said:
Would you like a Conquest in 3-9x40 with that German #4 reticle? For $350? Let me know and I'll steer you to them. Reputable shop and no BS. Been dealing with them for 20yrs and bought several guns there, some glass, plenty of accessories and such.

I got some leads to run down on other sources for the VX7 that I'm going to try tonight when I get home. Assuming those don't pan out, I need to decide if I want to go with the Conquest or the VX3 or a Meopta. I've been really considering a Meostar scope (4-12x40 or 3-10x50).

I'm just peeved at how that reseller handled that situation, and the complete lack of interest in my dissatisfaction.

I can't help but wonder if a phone call or Email to Leupold would perhaps steer you to a reseller than still had a VX7 in stock.

DrMike":27u2zwgj said:
I can't help but wonder if a phone call or Email to Leupold would perhaps steer you to a reseller than still had a VX7 in stock.

Oh, I can find them....for around $400 more than the price I thought I was getting. That's the issue. I don't think I can reach for the $1300-ish most who have them are selling them for.

dubyam":f8whkhcw said:

If Tom doesn't want this, I'd sure like to give it a try!

(I do seem to have a bit of a thing for Conquest 3-9s, don't I? :oops: )

Back