Who wants to spend some of my money? :)

I was just informed that the VX6 will not be available (at least in Canada) until late in the third quarter of this year. I asked that my order remain open. So, sometime this fall I'll be receiving a 2-12 X 42 VX6 B&C scope. I'm willing to wait.

DrMike":6vrk3us2 said:
I was just informed that the VX6 will not be available (at least in Canada) until late in the third quarter of this year. I asked that my order remain open. So, sometime this fall I'll be receiving a 2-12 X 42 VX6 B&C scope. I'm willing to wait.

As of today's call I made to Leupold, US availability is the first week of August. I will put in a pre-order with some retailer, have to decide who yet. And if I want an illuminated reticle. :)

DrMike":24yo3xg4 said:
According to their brochure, they don't offer an illuminated reticle with the VX6 (http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2011_Optics_Catalog.pdf), Tom. Are you thinking of the VXR?

I talked to Leupold on the phone yesterday and verified they offer the following reticles:

duplex
Boone & Crockett
illuminated versions of both

That comes straight from a Leupold tech, and he recommended the illuminated versions for the hunting I described doing.

Talked to SWFA on the phone yesterday and they verified that they anticipate having enough stock inbound to fill the current stack of orders.

I believe I will call and place my order today.

Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll change my order, after all. This is good information to have.

DrMike":39m32148 said:
Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll change my order, after all. This is good information to have.

The control for the illuminator is on the ocular, too, not at the turret like other models.

I have no illuminated reticles, and it is a curiosity thing. I almost bought a VXR, but backed away when I saw that the VX6 was to be released soon. An illuminated reticle would scratch an itch. Is it a worthwhile investment? I'll let you know after I get it.

DrMike":3fkpg7n8 said:
I have no illuminated reticles, and it is a curiosity thing. I almost bought a VXR, but backed away when I saw that the VX6 was to be released soon. An illuminated reticle would scratch an itch. Is it a worthwhile investment? I'll let you know after I get it.

I may get mine first...lol.

I looked at a VXR, and it was ok, but the optics were ho-hum.

If you want to see what the VX6 reticles will be like, go to SWFA's site for the VX6's and you can see. I asked the Leupold tech about them, since they were only shown "lit" (red where it'll be illuminated). He said whatever is red on those diagrams is what will be lit, but will look like a "normal" reticle when turned off. So if your battery craps out, worst case is you have a standard unlit reticle.

The duplex lights the fine crosshairs. The B&C lights the entire ballistic reticle.

I'm about to contact SWFA to make my order for the lit B&C. Should let my .300WSM reach out and zap deer when those cloudy/rainy days make quitting time (30 min past sunset) too dark for other optics.

Now, that is just wrong! Thanks for the site. The illuminated reticle looks pretty much like the others I have seen. This is a trend that is swiftly overtaking the industry, from what I see. My ageing eyes aren't all that disappointed in the additional help, however.

DrMike":31awdgcl said:

Now, that is just wrong! Thanks for the site. The illuminated reticle looks pretty much like the others I have seen. This is a trend that is swiftly overtaking the industry, from what I see. My ageing eyes aren't all that disappointed in the additional help, however.

It may be wrong, but you (and others) got me to about double what I was going to spend on a scope, so I think we're even. ;)

I've noticed two things in the last few years with hunting...

1- If I can't see through my scope, I can't shoot.

2- If I can't see the reticle, I can't shoot.

My thought is that the VX6 should pretty much let me shoot to the bare edge of legal time. I hate it when my scope tells me when to quit (or start) hunting and not my watch.

First off, you're welcome. :grin: Again, whatta' ya' mean by speaking as if you have to see to shoot? Ya' never heard of a sound shot? People do it all the time. I got holes in my hat to prove it! :shock: All seriousness, I really appreciate good glass. Game moves at first light and last light, and those few extra minutes have often meant the difference between skinning (late into the evening) and having to come back out the following morning. The lighted reticles appear to be a growing phenomena. I'm impressed by the Zeiss offerings this year. I suspect that the lighted reticles will become much more common on all scopes in the future.

DrMike":3n7qfisl said:
First off, you're welcome. :grin: Again, whatta' ya' mean by speaking as if you have to see to shoot? Ya' never heard of a sound shot? People do it all the time. I got holes in my hat to prove it! :shock: All seriousness, I really appreciate good glass. Game moves at first light and last light, and those few extra minutes have often meant the difference between skinning (late into the evening) and having to come back out the following morning. The lighted reticles appear to be a growing phenomena. I'm impressed by the Zeiss offerings this year. I suspect that the lighted reticles will become much more common on all scopes in the future.

Same here...and I like the Leupold lights the entire fine portion of the reticle.

Zeiss has cool stuff, but that Rapid Z reticle is about useless in anything other than decent light unless you light the whole thing.

I must admit, when I thought I was getting the VX7 with a #4, that was kinda neat. I never had that reticle, but it looks nice. The lit B&C should be a good one, though. :)

I wound up spending $100 more for a -6 with a lit B&C than I was going to spend for the -7 with unlight German #4. Not a bad change of plans. :)

I have no unkind words for Leupold; they make a quality product and they stand behind what they make. I have certainly enjoyed my VX3s and VXIIIs, and I do enjoy the VX7 I have. I have no doubt that the VX6 will be a great scope. There is no question but that I have enjoyed Zeiss optics over the years. However, the Rapid-Z reticles are too busy for me. The B&C makes for quick acquisition of the target when ballistics have been worked out. Simple is good. I have several scopes with the German #4, and it is an excellent reticle for quick acquisition of targets. The Kahles and Zeiss scopes mounted on my lever guns have this reticle, and that allows rapid use in tight cover.

Just got specs from a reseller's site.....12.6" in length, 17.5 oz.

That's shorter and about half an ounce heavier than the Vari-X II I have on my 300 now.

tddeangelo":21t2k12j said:
DrMike":21t2k12j said:

Same here...and I like the Leupold lights the entire fine portion of the reticle.

Zeiss has cool stuff, but that Rapid Z reticle is about useless in anything other than decent light unless you light the whole thing.

I must admit, when I thought I was getting the VX7 with a #4, that was kinda neat. I never had that reticle, but it looks nice. The lit B&C should be a good one, though. :)

I wound up spending $100 more for a -6 with a lit B&C than I was going to spend for the -7 with unlight German #4. Not a bad change of plans. :)

Tom -
German #4 is my favorite reticle on a hunting rifle. For whatever reason, my eye aquires a moving target with this reticle better than any other I have used.

DrMike":2d6sn5at said:
Tom,

Now that I've spent your money, can I borrow your scope?

Sure. I'll have a Vari-X II that's not doing anything once the VX6 arrives. You are more than welcome to borrow it. ;)

Back