2012 Hunting Pictures

stalker07, Bear has to be one of my favourite hunts, if not in fact my favourite hunt. It sounds as if you have a particular demanding hunt; and that truly makes the hams you will enjoy from this sow so very enjoyable. Congratulations. As JD338 has said, post a picture if you have one.

It says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" every time I try to post the pics. Thanks it was a very demanding hunt but well worth every second and every ounce of sweat. It was quite adventurous with encounters with two mountain lions coming around camp.

I had to use photobucket to attach my pics after getting the same message. Congrats on a great hunt.

Fotis-
That young man is growing up well, and he sure seems to find some nice goats. Time, opportunity, and a good teacher I'm thinkin' Nice Goat Stephan! CL

He sure did find a nice goat, great looking cutters. A long shot made also, must be doing something right.

Congrats on a fine hunt.

Yup, Stephan did a great job on that antelope.
I can't wait to see some pictures of his bull elk taken with his mighty 325 WSM.

JD338

He has the rifle to perform the task on elk, and it would appear he is mastering the art of riflery.

DrMike":18q9kk7a said:
He has the rifle to perform the task on elk, and it would appear he is mastering the art of riflery.

And that would make any Dad smile...

Great pictures and writeups all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are a couple of new ones to add to the pile. Cow/calf season last week in Wyoming. Great weather and a great hunt.PIC_0121.JPGPIC_0117.JPGPIC_0116.JPG

Great pictures, Bill. It appears that was a successful hunt for you. Congratulations.

Photo near Big Timber, Montana. I'd never hunted the "great plains" before.
IMG_7018.jpg

My home for a few days, a cabin built in the 1890's and refurbished as a hunting lodge some years ago. Really a nice place to stay. Warm & dry when the cold wind was blowing!
IMG_6952.jpg

Coyote, went down with the first shot from the .25-06 at 420 yards, rested on my pack, on the hood of Big Blue, the old Suburban.
IMG_6823.jpg

I was told that for the most part the pronghorn didn't develop real big horns this year. I dunno, looks fine to me! We rough measured one horn at about 12.5" and the other might have gone 13" - maybe. These rascals are an absolute hoot to hunt. Made multiple stalks. Blew one shot at a smaller buck from about 260 yards. Shot over him. Took this one at just under 160 yards. One of those fine 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets did the job.
IMG_6843.jpg

Tried for one of the really big bucks we saw... Was unable to get a shot at him. Big, old mulies don't get that way by being easy to hunt. Ended up with this guy and his two buddies crossing in front of me at about 262 yards. It was hard choosing between the three. The lead buck was a 3x3, but with heavier, taller antlers. Perhaps a little narrow? The center buck was a classic 4x4, but a little smaller than the others. This one was third in line, and I thought he was a 4x4 until I got close to him and saw he's a 3x4. That's fine with me. He's a good looking buck, and my freezer is now full of venison!
IMG_6862.jpg

All three of those animals; the coyote, pronghorn and the mule deer, went down instantly when hit. I hit the mule deer buck a little far back, but still flattened him and killed him. The .25-06 Rem 700, 6x Leupold and 115's at 3150 fps was a real good plains hunting setup.

Also did a little prairie dog shooting, but they weren't real cooperative and I wasn't all that interested in shooting a bunch of them anyway. The .204 worked real well...
IMG_6937.jpg

A group of young mule deer:
IMG_6926.jpg

Pronghorn buck:
IMG_6935.jpg

And goodbye until next time. Sunrise, last morning there:
IMG_7016.jpg

It was a memorable hunt. Steven and his wife, Storm, have become good friends. I spent a lot of time with Tony the guide, and he too is a great guy. What a hunter! This was my first experience hunting the prairie, and I have to say that I enjoyed it tremendously.

Regards, Guy

Those are great photos, Guy. Congratulations on a superb hunt. It looks as if you did very well. You'll have some fine table fare for the coming year.

Excellent pictures as always Guy~! Yes the lack of moisture killed the horns this year. At least around here.

Congrats on your hunt!

Congratulations on a great trip! Antelope are incredible to hunt and are just a lot of fun. Cactus in the elbows and knees, it just doesn't get any better than that. Very nice photographs Guy. I would call you buck a 4x5 because he does have brow tines. At least that is how we have always done it. Did you recover any bullets?

Guy,

Congratulations on your Antelope and Mule Deer.
Your speed goat looks to have the classic heart shape.

It is true that the drought this year did hamper the growth of the horns. All the reason to go back to WY next year. :mrgreen:

JD338

Thanks guys, it was a very good hunt. Steven and Storm are terrific people, wonderful to hang out with and hunt with.

"Did you recover any bullets?"

Nope - these are Noslers we're talking about! :grin: In one side, out the other with a very dead critter left behind...

I was shooting the .257" 115 Ballistic Tip at 3150 fps. Steven and Storm were using the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from his .280 and her 7mm-08. I think all their shots passed through as well. Excellent performance all around!

"Your speed goat looks to have the classic heart shape."

Yes. I was very pleased with that. We stalked him a few times before getting a shot at this particular buck. I'm actually glad I missed the shot at the other buck. He wasn't as cool.

Guy

Congratulations on some fine animals. Those are great pictures. Looks to be a beautiful area to hunt.

Awesome pics as usual Guy, always love your trip reports. Congrats on a nice stinkylope and a good muley.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n58 ... ysbuck.jpg

N. California Blacktail I killed in my home state this year on public land. 22 1/2" 4x4 which woulld be equivalent to a 30" muley. 203 yards down hill 308win 165gr BT on top of varget. The load gives me about .6-.7" three shot groups. Shooting a Tikka T3 ss left hand bolt. Behind right shoulder out left chest front of left shoulder. He went about 15-25 yards down the ridge. Lots of blood minimal meat damage. Really happy with bullet performance. One shot kill.

My wife also killed her first buck on this trip. 270win 130gr sierra gameking handloads. I found him dead on his deer trail well after dark so the photo turn out poorly or I would have posted it.

Hardcorehunter

Back