280 Ackley loads for deer and maybe elk.

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
Been a while since I've been on, life seems to keep getting busier.

I got a new (to me) rifle today and wanted a little advice on loads for it. I have long liked the feel and look of the Kimber Montana 84L in 280 Ackley but have been scared by the reviews I read of Kimbers. It seems that people either get a good one and love it, or a bad one and hate it. Anyway I found one for sale locally that had targets to go with it from a shooter that seemed very knowledgeable and honest. His best load was a 140gr Barnes TTSX over 60gr of H4831SC that was averaging right about 1" for 3 shots with time for the barrel to cool between shots. Velocity was running right around 3000fps. While this looks like a "not broke don't fix it" load, I'd rather load a bonded lead core bullet for a little better BC.

I am thinking of trying the 140gr AccuBond, 150gr Swift Sirocco, and maybe the 150gr LRAB also. I want to take this rifle on my Wyoming hunts where shots and walks tend to be on the long side. I'm also considering having Rifles Inc build me a light M70 in 300 win mag as a primary elk rifle, so this one would be used mainly for deer and as a back-up for elk. Haven't decided I'm doing that for sure yet though. I've taken lots of deer and one elk with the 140gr AccuBond in 264, 270, and 7mm so I know what to expect from it. Not sure if I should even mess with going to a 150gr bullet in case I use it for elk or not. Also didn't know if it was worth stepping up to a tougher bullet than the AccuBond for a little more weight retention on big elk at longer range.

Any advice? Thanks for your help.

Well to be honest with you the 280AI really works well with the 160's for me. I run the AB and it shoots lights out. I'd like a little more than the 140's. It will work just fine for elk. Easy to reach 3000 with the 160 in 24" tube. Dang near matches 7RM or you can run a 175PT @ 2825 or so. I run 7828 lots of guys run RL22. In my opinion if your looking at a second rifle for elk I'd look at a 338-06 35 Whelen or a 9.3X62.

Thanks, I'll look into the 160AB also. I've taken elk with that bullet in a 7 mag, know it works well.

In my one and only 280 Ackley Improved ( Mod 700 Mountain Rifle) I used the 150 old style ballistic tip on antelope and exotics. I also used the Speer 160 Hot Cor on cow elk. This was way back in the mid 90's of course. It's a very good round, and maybe that 140 TTSX is all one would "really" need, but hey, the 160 AB or 168 ABLR may be even better! I used R22 for best accuracy, way back then. :)

Thanks. I got a couple boxes of factory loads given to me by a friend who sold his 280AI, Nosler 140gr AB and 150gr ABLR loads. I want to get a chronograph set up in the near future and get them tested for velocity and accuracy, give me an idea what bullet it likes maybe.

Good to see you back.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned. The 140 or 160 AB or the 150 Swift would all lead the pack if I was looking for good BC and weight retention. I do like the 160 AB around 2900-3200 though. It's a tough bullet and your Ackley should do well. That Kimber should be very pleasant to pack as well.

I just got back from the range. I asked DrMike to load one photo shows what my 280AI did with 150gr. ABLRs over top of RL22.
Just tuning it up for next week's trip :wink:. With a 611BC. I believe it will do well on Elk as well as Deer.
Great calibre :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

The 140's just don't float my boat with the 280ai. Sure you can push them fast, but the high BC bullets will surpass them at the longer ranges. The 160 AB is kind of at a sweet spot, with pretty decent ballistic coefficient, and it's a good bare knuckles type of tough bullet.

To me though, the 150 ABLR, 168 ABLR, or 168 Berger VLD Hunting takes the 280ai to a whole new level. That's just me though, really depends what you want your rig to be capable of.

I think the best all around bullet for the 280AI for everything from mice to moose is the 150 gr PT.
The 150 gr ABLR would be another solid choice for shots
beyond 400 yds. 61.0 grs of RL22 gets 3100 fps and
sub .5 MOA accuracy.

JD338

If you go to the hunting thread DrMike started regarding his Moose hunt there is a photo showing my target with the 280AI. That load is 150gr. ABLR bullet over top of 60.5grs of RL22 with a stated 611 BC it is hard to beat this combination. I will let you know on its performance in the field when I connect.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys I'll check it out. I'm taking the rifle to my gunsmith today to get the scope mounted and leveled. I got a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 to stick on it with the CDS and wind compensating reticle. Should make for a pretty sleek rig that's capable of handling the shot distances I sometimes encounter out west.

nvbroncrider":2138fv6v said:
Well to be honest with you the 280AI really works well with the 160's for me. I run the AB and it shoots lights out. I'd like a little more than the 140's. It will work just fine for elk. Easy to reach 3000 with the 160 in 24" tube. Dang near matches 7RM or you can run a 175PT @ 2825 or so. I run 7828 lots of guys run RL22. In my opinion if your looking at a second rifle for elk I'd look at a 338-06 35 Whelen or a 9.3X62.
+1
I've used the 160 AB with Zero complaints or even the 150 BT in my 280 AI for deer sized Game. I do have/used the 175 NPT for the really big stuff, like Elk. Which is pretty much darn near perfect if you asked me, the do all one bullet though would be a 160 AB or a TSX if you can make them shoot well enough for you?

Back