2017 Hunting Pictures

DrMike":2m9q952j said:
Beautiful animal. Congratulations to the hunters. Did the Mashburn miss the cut?

I carried it from Sunday till Wednesday. Thursday I decided to try out the 338 since I knew I was going to be in the timber. It was like hanging out with an old friend that day. The Mashburn will get plenty of time though.

Wow, beautiful animals, great table fare and incredibly scenic photos! Love it!

Just returned home from my sons General season deer hunt. He only had 3 days to hunt so we did not hold out long. Dustin was able to break in his "new to him" .270 with hand loaded 130 gr. Ballistic tips. He made a 200 yard shot off the bog pod. Should be a good eating meat buck.
bb5042f9c633a4dce3ae526cdbe94bd5.jpg

Then here is my general season Wy bull I posted about last week.
4ece9e568929055d7717d6c99870e4f1.jpg

Hopefully I have a couple more pics next month as my son and youngest daughter both have cow tags.

Pass along our congratulations to Dustin! 200 yards is a nice way to break in a rifle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed, you and Dustin has done well. Congratulations on a successful season.

We didn't get out of town until Sunday afternoon and didn't get a chance to shoot my buddies gun until right at dark on Sunday night. The next morning we were up at 6am and to our hunting area by 7:30. My buddy from WA shot a bull within about an hour of hunting and we got it back to the UTV's at 2pm on Monday. Monday night we went back in the same area and heard some bulls bugle but we got in there too late to go after them. Tuesday morning we went back in the same area and heard a couple bugles but it was pretty quiet. We did jump a really nice whitetail buck out of it's bed in the middle of the day. We got back to the UTV's around 2 and started back to camp. It's looked like my hunting partner was going to have tag soup as yesterday was his last day to hunt. We get about 2 miles from camp and run into a bull elk standing in the road in the middle of the day. We were doing about 40mph at the time. We haul up to where they jumped across the road and fortunately the hill was fairly open. There was actually 2 bulls and my buddy shot the smaller of the 2 about 80yds above the road. The smaller bulls hind end was covering the vitals of the bigger bull and he was at a bad quartering angle. This is the first elk I've been able to load whole in a long time. Neither of them are big bulls but my buddy from WA got his first elk ever and my hunting partner got to fill his freezer on a last minute bull. 2 bulls in 2 days is pretty good even if the last one was pure luck. I guess we are lucky no one had a deer tag or we would have been packing out a whitetail buck instead of loading a bull elk whole in a UTV. :lol: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Christians2017bull.jpg
    Christians2017bull.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 5,174
  • Opies2017elk.jpg
    Opies2017elk.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 5,174
Two bulls in two days is excellent. Congratulations to your compadres and to their guide! (y)

Congrats on two great bulls! I have found smaller bulls taste great and to load one whole shot in the middle of the day is truly a gift!

Congratulations to all, well done. As for "pure luck" nice to have that once in a while.

Thanks guys. I found this area with my buddy from WA last year and we have taken 3 bulls out of that immediate area in 2 years and 4 total with the road hunting bull. They are generally a lot of work to pack them out and I think that is why most people that go in there don't kill anything, they don't want to put the effort out.

My 338 rum is still the hammer in my safe. 509 yards he took two 250g NPT. It seems like Elk can take a beating like no other animal, nearly all I have shot take two pills even if the engine room is gone on the first shot. Dead on their feet I guess, I haven't shot one inside 400 lately.

Attachments

• elk2017.jpg
    elk2017.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 5,144
  • atv2017.jpg
    atv2017.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5,144
Congrats on that Bull. That is a heckuva animal. I believe you’re right, Elk aren’t easily impressed most days.

That is a fine bull. Congratulations! Yeah, elk can definitely absorb a surprising amount of punishment.

Thanks, Here is the muzzleloader bear. I want a bayonet if I ever hunt bears again with the muzzleloader, 20 yards is too close with all that smoke when we are both on the ground together.

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 5,111
Looks like a melon head. Congratulations! Yup! Twenty yards is getting close and personal. May have to exchange phone numbers next time.

fwood":1lo58wh7 said:
Thanks, Here is the muzzleloader bear. I want a bayonet if I ever hunt bears again with the muzzleloader, 20 yards is too close with all that smoke when we are both on the ground together.

fwood - congratulations, and I agree!

Some years ago, hunting with my traditional muzzle loader, I was pleased to see a black bear working towards me along a ridge. Bear was about a quarter mile away when first spotted. I just hunkered down, out of sight and waited. Bear got closer and closer... As it got real close, well within range of my traditional muzzle loader, I noticed a cub following along, well behind.

I didn't want to shoot a mama bear with a cub! So, I stood up, and said "Hello Bear." She stopped, woofed at me, from about 30 yards as I recall. It was kinda tense for a moment, especially since I had ONE SHOT... Then she made a hard left turn and took off at a run! The poor cub was trying to figure out what the heck was going on, but he followed mama bear. Silly little bear.

Ya, a muzzle loader is NOT the ideal tool for bear at close range. I'm glad those fellows at Remington, Winchester, Marlin and elsewhere figured out how to build repeaters a long time ago.

Guy

Back